1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Jerry Bridges

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 30, 2015.

1. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

There's really no conflict? Really? God has already chosen the Elect. They cannot lose their Election. God has already chosen the damned. They cannot escape their damnation. If God has Elected something to salvation, it has no option but to be saved. There is no reasonable need of evangelism in a system in which God has already determined the saved and the damned.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No conflict. Non-Cals always project that supposed conflict though.
    Yes, really.
    God has already chosen the Elect. They cannot lose their Election. God has already chosen the damned. They cannot escape their damnation. If God has Elected something to salvation, it has no option but to be saved. There is no reasonable need of evangelism in a system in which God has already determined the saved and the damned.[/QUOTE]
    The Lord has not rescinded the Great Commission. Calvinists obey the GC. Calvinists believe in having preachers to communicate the truths of God's word. They have missionaries. They have all kinds of people who proclaim the Word of God to the lost and the found. We believe in means.

Primitive Baptists share much in common with Calvinism --but they would differ with some of the afore-mentioned.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This poster has turned from truth and revealed himself as hating the truth.
    He is frustrated that he cannot make a biblical case so he now comes in to attack the brethren....sad::(:(:(

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    PreachTony

Do you think God has not elected the elect???:laugh:

How does someone lose election?:laugh:
    They were damned when Adam fell....God does not have to choose them???

Try reading the scriptures instead of this emotional ranting:thumbsup:

People can "escape " the righteous judgment of God....in YOUR WORLD:confused:

Elected "something".....????Here is a description of the biblical God who you hate;
    9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:11 Calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it.

Explain your pollayanna god who does not quite get it done to others who might believe it....we Believe the one described in Isa46....who you hate and call vile names.

keep your man centered nonsense...we will obey the means God has commanded and ordained to call the elect to salvation.

5. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

The documentation Rippon demands can be found in Foxe's Book of Martyrs and Martyr's Mirror . There's other books too, but these are good starting places. I get the impression that he believes everything in them is false.

"Speaking off the top of my head," isn't something I did when I recommended these books.

There's books on the Waldenses, Albigenses, & others as well. I may not agree with every doctrine/practice with which they've been charged, but they too were persecuted by people who called themselves "Christians."

Instead of accusing me of "speaking off the top of my head," Rippon needs to read about the people who were persecuted back then for what they chose to believe & practice & see if he'd be willing to take their place when the persecutors come knocking on his door. If he did that rather than coming on this thread & accusing me of "speaking off the top of my head," he'd be better off.

I'm willing "to particularize" about people being persecuted for their doctrines/practices back then, but not till Rippon can prove that everything I've posted on this thread about people being persecuted for their beliefs/practices back then is utterly without merit.

The ball's now in your court, Rippon.

Either put up or shut up about my "speaking off the top of my head."

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm still laughing. I read your post with a mountaineer accent and got a kick out of it.

I think steam isacomin' otta'yourn hed.:laugh:

But back to the subject of Jerry Bridges...

7. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Rippon--You've chosen neither to put up nor shut up with my posts on this thread. The steam you accuse me of being in my head is directed at you. If you get enough of it, maybe it'll weaken your estimation you have of those who differ from you.

I've noticed your know-it-all attitude on many threads.

Anyone who posts something differing from your position is faced with being denounced as an ignorant you-know-what who has the nerve to challenge the one in whom all truth resides.

I'm embarrassed to read the remarks you've made about those whose only crime is to differ from you over whatever a BB thread may be about.

I'm old enough to let your un-Christian replies to me slide off my back, but it irks me to read what you post about others who dare write something that might differ from know-it-all you.

A debate isn't a venue to insult the opposition the way you do. It's a venue where each person is given a chance to present his ideas, but not while he's getting rotten eggs tossed at him with Rippon written on the shells.

You need to take some more breaths of that cool mountain air of which you're so fond. Maybe after doing so, it'd clear your mind of some of the poor attitudes you have about some posters.

I'm sick & tired of reading your un-Christian remarks you fling at some of BB's posters. Since you've chosen to neither put up nor shut up with me, I'm putting you on my Ignore list.

I don't care if you continue to rant & rave about what I post, which I'm sure you'll do, but at least I'll no longer have to read your insults you fling at the other posters--people I consider to be friends in Christ.

8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! Your audacity is as overwhelming as the high opinion you seem to have in your views and the bold, bombastic gauntlet you laid down before this other brother. You are amazing, and amusing at the same time. Hope you aren't holding your breath. Shalom!

9. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Because of obedience to God (Mk 16:15). God may use me to bring an elect to saving faith. He does not need to use me, but the command is to preach the word to every creature.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because Jesus said "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. "

and

"How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?"

God elects but uses us feeble human beings to bring His Gospel to all. However the response is all from God. What a blessing it is to ME when God uses me to bring others to Him. God invites us to participate in His work and it is a privilege to join Him in it!

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Rippon is what I call an arrogant Calvinist and he wears the title after his every post. He constantly tries to correct my grammar and shows everyone the real jerk that he is. I am so tired of him I put him on block and no longer read his garbage.

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look, I could care less about Rippon, and you'll notice that I don't discuss things with him; here's the thing: he doesn't try to correct your grammar; he corrects it.

YOU are just as arrogant by continuing to refuse correction and continuing to commit grammar errors.

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We understand it very well. It's full of inconsistencies and contradictions.

Nobody said that. The contention is that there is no need to proclaim the gospel
    if God has predestined every person to either Heaven or Hell since before the foundation of the world.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please review posts 18 and 21 by PT. He has said it.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean there are

I'd say that the improper use of "there's" is the most common grammatical
    error of Americans. I don't know about the state of British English.

That's why when I read your post I read it with a mountaineer accent.

W, may I call you that for short? You really should have chosen another handle. It's too awkward.

You got rather hot under the collar when I said you were speaking off the top of your head. You were steamed all out of proportion to the supposed offense. You are really thin-skinned to be ticked off by my remark. Believe me, I have been called names that should never be uttered by a professing Christian here on the BB. To merely say you were speaking off the top of your head is quite mild.

So calm thyself. If you can't stand the heat --get out of the kitchen as the saying goes.

#35 Rippon, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015
  16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you "could care less" means you have the capacity to care more.

You actually mean you "couldn't care less" which hurts my feelings, but...

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Rippon.

Go chase a rabbit.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When did I ever ask for your or Rippons advice in this area?

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize that sounds like you're admitting that you refuse correction, and will continue in your error(s)?

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, you're right. -2 on me for grammar.