1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured But I Didn't have any Slaves

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Zaac, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm...one has to wonder how the many many many black slave owners that owned black, white and asian slaves have effected their current condition.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Did rob also teach her that because of privilege, she was in a position to get into nursing school far more easily than her black counterparts because on average her skin color allowed her better education opportunities?

Did rob also teach her that her employment opportunities with a bachelors degree are still better than those of a black person with a graduate degree?

The majority of the things you've listed have been stated by black people for the last 200 years in these United States.

3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

For some reason that side of his family is nowhere to be found in his life. He Dad was in prison when he was born. Has now moved to California and when he had him as a baby my grandson came home smelling of beer.

It is a shame with all the opportunities out there for schooling and jobs that pay well for anyone of any race that many don't take advantage of it. In my secular business, craftsmen make the same rate of pay no matter their race. Craft helpers are paid by experience not race and for over 40 years it has been that way.

Many craft superintendents are African American or Hispanic, their rate of pay is based on experience not race and not who they are.

I had to work my way up with hard work right next to those of other races. Even get passed over for some positions by people who had less experience than I had. I lost a job once to an African American woman who had no experience for the job but the company needed to meet a quoto of minorities. So I found another job and kept on going. That is what I will tell my grandson.

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That .... and his rant reflects the anger of a black antagonist/bigot.

5. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, son, you wouldn't know the truth if it were in the Bible. The truth is, you can't handle the truth! Which is why you have joined in lockstep with the OP. :wavey:

6. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy, I know more truth than you would ever know.

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

For your grandson's sake, I pray that you figure out a way to tell him a little bit more than that. And perhaps you can't because you haven't experienced the prejudices that he as a black man will experience.

But you need to figure it out fast because he's going to have to know that as a black man, the deck is stacked against him. And he's gonna have to know how to respond.

Surround him with black and white Godly men who can speak to his unique situation. But it is imperative that he understands that there will be some people in this world who will treat him differently because of his skin color.

He can't just run around with toy guns like white kids might.
    He can't wear certain clothes.
    He can't do certain things at school without getting labeled.

When cops are shooting dead little 12 year old black kids in parks, and black men, much like his dad, are being jailed for things that their white counterparts get a pass for, he needs to know about the REAL world he will encounter or else you're going to have a very troubled young man on your hands.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

RT, by now you've realized that there's a lil clique of folks whose racial prejudice and racism is out and proud and waving it's KKK sheeted banner.

But they "LOVE" Jesus. :rolleyes:

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There you go calling people racist....

10. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And questioning yours and mine salvation, and other old fat racist white men on this board WHERE HAS THE RESPECT GONE? Seems that those moderating are not seeing what us flag waving KKK, racially old fat white clique lovers are prone to see. How does this kind of response equal debating? It is rude, provocative and would earn us old flag waving KKK buds infractions for sure. :smilewinkgrin:

11. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever you say son! :laugh:

12. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was born in 1952 and grew up in Mississippi. Desegregation of the schools begin about 1968. As a child, (we were a white, lower middle class family) I saw the way black Americans were treated. I will not go into all the sordid details except one that made me realize how wrong all this was at about age 12. I used to ride the city bus to run errands for Mom. We only had one car and Dad took it to work. One day when I boarded the bus, you guessed it, there was a white line about half way down the aisle. Black folks were required to stay behind the line. As I boarded, I was the only white person on the bus, and all the seats in front were empty. I sat down and looked around. There were many standing in the aisle. One in particular caught my attention. There was a woman standing in the aisle with a cane. When I looked around our eyes met. It did not take long to see all the empty seats and realize something is very wrong here. I saw many other things, some quite mean.

What amazes me is that this was a way of life. It was totally evil, and I have always pondered this question from years ago. How could a pastor, Baptist, Presbyterian or otherwise, knowing the Bible, having studied at some kind of seminary, said nothing and spoken out during this era about how wrong this was? I went to church every Sunday during my childhood and never did I hear one word. Anyone saved had to know this was wrong. An unsaved person could see it was wrong. There was no excuse for it. I guess all these thousands of pastors never read about the Second Great Commandment. One has to wonder, did these pastors, leaders of the Christian community, have the love of Christ in them? They acted like it was normal and turned a blind eye to it. No excuse for it whatsoever. Please, no you are a liberal replies. I am quite conservative and think every Republican nominee since Reagan was liberal. And, I basically disagree with the premise of the op. If it is true, its time to let it go. I did not own slaves and detest racism.

13. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. Great observation. I remember going to visit my in laws in east Texas in 1972, with my no ex-wife. We stayed a week, and attended their large Southern Baptist church (maybe 600 people in attendance on both Sundays). And it was obvious that not one black person or family was in attendance. However, on the way to church both Sundays, we drove by a medium sized SBC church that was attended by only blacks.

Being from California, this kind of practice was not something I'd seen before, and being the rebel I was, when we left church the second Sunday,we shook the pastors hand and I just had to stick it to him and ask why the black SBC church down the street was not integrated with his congregation.

He got defensive and told me that in this part of the world, they did things differently than in the more liberal part of the country I came from. Then I asked how they could make this right with what the Bible taught, and he reached for the hand of another person and ignored me.

Of course my in laws, born in Arkansas originally, were angry with me for stirring up an issue that I had no knowledge of for southerners.

I was disgusted with the whole lot of them, and glad to get back to liberal California, where we loved people of color and integrated willingly.

14. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on whether it is white people actually involved in the slavery of today. Of course, if we, as this article does, have an agenda concerning slavery that white people were instrumental in ending, then we might overlook the fact that today...slavery is not only rampant, but comparing it to the slavery of early America makes that slavery pale in comparison:

Modern Slavery

If you were seriously concerned about slavery I would assume awareness of Modern Slavery might be mentioned...but it is not.

Tell that to the white homeless.

The fact is that in the secular world, there is discrimination in every corner. Doesn't matter if you're white or black. Much that is not available to black people is not available to just as many, if not more...white people.

You create a fantasy in which white people walk through life as though born with a silver spoon in their mouths.

Exactly what is the name of this planet you live in? I would love to immigrate there.

"Gross" is not the word for it. Erroneous. Incomplete. Misleading. Devoid of facts.

I would probably choose one of those in favor to grow.

While I don't seek to overlook the hardships faced by black people in the past, because there were gross abuses committed, neither would I forget that all races have suffered hardship in America. There will always be evil men, and they will come from every race.

And when it comes to putting chains on people, and weighting them down, my friend, I am afraid you are doing a disservice to black people. The only reason for a black person not to succeed today is for people to tell them they are disadvantaged. Being black did not keep people from succeeding in early America or later. It is said that the first female millionaire was...black. It is said one of the most feared slave owners in America was...black.

While it is true that the average white person held advantages, let's not equate this to equal opportunity. Poor white people, even today, are just as foreign to the world of the rich as black people were and are. And among the middle class, you can buy into a philosophy that people do not, for themselves, work for what they have, but I can tell you I have never had the first thing handed to me. I have what I have because I worked for it. I have a company because I built it...myself. Most of the employees I have had...I have had to work harder to repair the damage they have done.

You are not advocating equal rights, but special rights. And you seek to do so by targeting the conscious of people who in fact never had slaves, never would have had opportunity to have slaves, and in fact had ancestors who were themselves slaves.

Or do you think all slaves in America were black?

Is that a fact? Have you ever given it consideration? I go into many homes. And I see a lot of lifestyles. So I will ask you to analyze the perspective of what might be considered "benefitting."

First, would I benefit by not having to work every day, instead being supplied with the rent required to have shelter. Would I benefit from not having to work in order to eat, instead having money for food arriving at my door. Would I benefit from not having to work to pay for the phone I use for my business, instead having that too supplied to me.

Would I benefit?

Secondly, let's look at the truth, and change your statement so it leaves a category of propaganda and instead presents the harsh realities of this world (not just America):

Life is not a foot race, but it is a fact that the average poor person would not economically benefit from switching places with an average wealthy person.

There's an old saying, "It takes money to make money." This is true.

Those born into families who have wealth, regardless of race, will likely fare better than those born into poor families. This is not a concrete principle, because we can find many poor people who become success stories (primarily by working for it) and many rich people who have disastrous results.

The point is that those who are determined not to remain in the conditions they were born into work hard to escape those conditions.

So why do we not see more black people profiting from the opportunities they have?

Well, for one thing, they are being fed a lot of malarkey from their youth. They are told there's no point. "You'll never break down the White Wall." No pun intended, lol.

Not all black people buy into it, and we are seeing black people enter into enterprise by which they better themselves. But many buy into the propaganda fed them by those whose intentions seem only to stir up the past, and throw it in the faces of those they profit from.

Let me ask you something: do you justify the actions of black people that engage in riots and murder every time there is a white/black issue? Is that justified? Can we call it "benefitting" when we see these actions ignored, which if it were any other race would incur severe consequences? Let a group of white people commit those same crimes and see what happens.

And third, lets change your statement again:

Life is not a foot race, but it is a fact that the average Spanish person would not economically benefit from switching places with an Black black person

Life is not a foot race, but it is a fact that the average homeless person would not economically benefit from switching places with an average Black person

Now lets put a little more reality into it, and we could make this a continually ongoing and factual statement by looking at other countries. For example:

In (fill in country's name), life is not a foot race, but it is a fact that the average white person would not economically benefit from switching places with an average (fill in national's name) person

And the one thing Black People can embrace in this day and age, rather than their past and atrocities their ancestors suffered, is that they are Americans.

And that means something. No matter what part of the world one goes to.

How much more here in America.

Are statistics and population considered?

The United States Census Bureau defines White people as those "having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who reported "White" or wrote in entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish."[13] Whites constitute the majority of the U.S. population, with a total of about 245,532,000 or 77.7% of the population as of 2013. There are 62.6% Whites when Hispanics who describe themselves as "white" are taken out of the calculation. Despite major changes due to illegal and legal immigration since the 1960s and the higher birth-rates of nonwhites, the overall current majority of American citizens are still white, and English-speaking, though regional differences exist.

It seems to me that if there is a majority population there is going to be a discrepancy in regards to "wealth."

And since when is what who has what the concern?

What exactly are the statistics in other countries? How about wealth in England?

White 54,153,898 92.12% 55,073,552 87.17%

White: Irish Traveller 63,193 0.10%

Asian or Asian British: Total 2,578,826 4.39% 4,373,339
    6.92%

Asian or Asian British: Indian 1,053,411 1.79% 1,451,862
    2.30%

Asian or Asian British: Pakistani 747,285 1.27% 1,173,892
    1.86%

Asian or Asian British: Bangladeshi 283,063 0.48% 451,529
    0.71%

Asian or Asian British: Chinese 247,403 0.42% 433,150
    0.69%

Asian or Asian British: Asian Other 247,664 0.42% 861,815
    1.36%

Black or Black British 1,148,738 1.95% 1,904,684
    3.01%

British Mixed 677,117 1.15% 1,250,229
    1.98%

Other: Total 230,615 0.39% 580,374
    0.92%

Total 58,789,194 100.00% 63,182,178
    100.00%

What is the average of wealth there? Or does anyone care?

Continued...

15. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What race is not guilty of racism? The moment you find a race that has not been impacted by sin...let me know.

All people are not only created equal, they are all born into the same condition, regardless of race. And let me suggest to you that the hardships faced by Black Americans and the perseverance of Black Americans stands in stark contrast to many Black Americans today, in this way: those hardships, like the hardships faced by Israel, forced them to call out to God. There is no question that many black people relied on God in their tribulation, but...

...what do we see today?

Do we even see love for family exampled?

No, what we see is a departure from family and an increasing association with the world. Rap music illustrates the hearts of many black people. You can deny it if you like, but it is the truth. Both the message and the fruit drastically differ from the music of those who suffered. And for all races, a departure from reliance on God and a reliance on taking the reins themselves will never result in liberty, but the same, and worse...bondage.

And you are contributing to that, whether you know it or not.

And how did they get there? Are you denying the involvement of black people...in slavery?

Slavery has not ended, and is worse today than it ever was.

How about enjoining a campaign to combat what's going on today?

Did you even look at the link for Modern Slavery in the last post I addressed?

Here is another link, if you're interested in finding a cause that might actually help someone:

According to the International Labour Organisation (ILO) around 21 million men, women and children around the world are in a form of slavery.

In the Descent Based Slavery the statement is made...

Descent-based slavery exists in countries that have strict hierarchical social structures. People in slavery and their descendants are at the very bottom of the caste system and suffer discrimination because of their place on the social ladder.

Today this type of slavery persist in West African countries such as Niger, Mauritania and Mali.

Is this the fault of the white devil?

No, it is the fault of those that have rejected God and their god is...the Devil.

I agree. Just ask anyone that has a job. They are slaves to those they work for, and those poor people are forced to fight for their rights.

This is true. So that is relevant today because...

...?

Is there some reason why the Law oppresses black people today? Would it not be equally true that the Law provides specific protections for black people?

This is 2015.

Try to catch up, lol.

Not sure how you can say that, but, I will say that no-one deserves loans if they cannot meet the criteria, regardless of race. Easy loans can be seen as a direct cause for the so-called "recession." Because easy loans allowed those, regardless of race, to acquire loans for homes, when they defaulted there was havoc.

It's a matter of, for the purpose of helping, forgetting that there are economic realities that play no favorites. While I would like to see everyone who rents instead be paying a mortgage, the fact is that they are going to, like myself, work to pay for it.

This could better be addressed by addressing lending practice. The interest charged for home loans is nothing short of criminal. There could be a cap put into place which would better help all people...regardless of race.

So who's campaigning for that?

No-one, because if someone actually came up with a plan that left race out of it, what would all those who revel in racism do?

I'll skip the email and let you know now: nobody in my family ever owned slaves. And it is more likely that my ancestors (Scotch-Irish) had those who were themselves slaves.

Somewhere along the line.

Because that is just how the world worked, and still does. Conquest involved subjugation, something evident in Scripture and cannot be missed.

Continued...

16. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is quite clear.

What you may consider retiring is a campaign that really profits no-one, and consider a campaign that does, such as leading people to Christ, that the only true liberty a man might attain to in this evil world might be gained.

Hmm, so they moved to America and plopped down where they wanted to? America handed her a home, food, and an education?

Let's back up:

Hate to point out the obvious...

Doubtful. But hey, if we ignore the fact that you're family came here because of "horrible conditions," maybe we would consider that this is an option for all. In other words, there must be a reason why Black People did not go to another country to escape the horrible conditions they were under.

Would they have stood and fought if they were the helpless, without hope people you cast them as?

And what exactly were these horrible conditions your family lived under. Care to share that with me?

So Rutgers and the Navy would have discriminated against your contemporaries? Funny, but there have been an awful lot of black people who have had very successful careers in the Navy.

How about Colin Powell. Are you more "successful than he?

Good thing he didn't let the propaganda of those who actually oppress black people stop him from taking advantage of his opportunities.

Or do you think he just succeeded because of white politics?

I would question the mentors you have had.

Actually it is the power of God, but I like to go back further than most.

;)

What twaddle.

A "percentage of our country's greatest minds were also eliminated because they were poor, Hispanic, Jewish, you name it.

Discrimination is color blind, and black people are not the only ones who suffer from it.

Come again?

Are they accomplishments, then?

I agree that race has hindered many people, black people suffering a lion's share, but, let's not forget that discrimination extends to everyone, and while it takes a media focus in our country, I am sure we could match every discriminatory act against black people with acts against whites as well as other races.

Not true. I refuse to look to others to provide something I haven't earned. Slavery has in no way contributed to where I am today, despite the fantasy you, or if this is just a quoted article, seeks to create.

The status of anyone immigrating to the US today hinges on the wealth they have when they arrive. A rich African will have a higher status than, for example, an illegal Hispanic. And one thing I can tell you about Hispanic immigrants is that for the most part they are hard working people who work their butts off and are grateful for what they earn. Their wages would be viewed as meager to most in America but in relation to the economies of their home countries they are very, very wealthy. Wealthy enough to be able to survive here as well as send money home.

If all Americans showed that same work ethic this would be a different country.

But why work when the government will send you a check for food, pay your rent, and throw in a phone.

What hurts our country are rabble rousers who do not exhort people to get with it, lol.

You don't realize it but you are perpetuating a mentality that actually teaches black people they are what slavery demanded they were: animals. This post undermines black people by implying they need our participation so that they might prosper.

That's not the case. Black people can excel every bit as much as their white counterparts, Colin Powell being an example of success even under conditions which were not favorable.

All in America, Black People included, are suffering the departure from God and the consequences for that. Family has become a non-issue. Responsibility has become a non-issue. Accountability has become...a non-issue.

The only solution is a return to God and a proper understanding of God's Word. Racism cannot exist in the heart of the Christian, who is, I will remind you, the real minority, not just in America, but in all the world.

Why do I need to "Catch them up?"

I'm doing the best to catch my family up.

You're not suggesting that if Black People had equal opportunity the country would be wealthier, you're suggesting that if Black People had more wealth this would be a better country.

This is an unbiblical mentality. Since when does wealth constitute prosperity? This is a carnal mentality which has no place in a Christian Doctrinal Discussion Forum. It's something that is better left in the media.

What ineffable twaddle. I would suggest turning your efforts to true liberty for all men, not just black people.

And that is going to be a Christ-centered campaign in which all men share the same status.

God bless.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think there is no question that Slavery and Jim Crow helped create the Black culture of today. In 1965 LA was set on fire (race riots) and subsequently in many other places (recently Ferguson) blacks have demonstrated their belief that our society is corrupt, and their plight is due to mistreatment, rather than a self defeating world view. Thus they loot, burn, destroy what belongs to others, as if they were justified.

Until I see black leaders speaking truth (rather than hands up don't shoot) we are not going to move toward equality under the law.

#37 Van, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2015
  18. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it "Equality under Law" that sees a noticeable lack of repercussion when Black People engage in riotous behavior?

As far as how the Black Culture of today was creates, let's not forget that while there is a media caricature that is a reality in America, there are still many Black People who are hard-working, God-fearing citizens. Was all America flower people in the 60s? Were all Americans drug-using head-bangers in the 80s?

But if we target a particular black culture, that which promotes violence and rebellion and lawlessness, could we not look at Rap Music as instrumental in the development of that culture?

Music is a powerful entity for many people. And many of our youth are influenced by it. Rap music by far bypasses the rebellion contained in past music strains when it comes to promoting a culture that is not only destructive to our youth, but damnable. And black youth are perhaps the greatest target. I see it as no different than the motivation Rock/Heavy Metal inspired in myself, promising escape from the conditions I grew up in, which was poor.

There are Black Leaders that recognize the plight of Black People, and will say without pause that much of it is self-inflicted.

But you will never see those guys on the news.

Just like you will never see the efforts of Christian Missionaries in the news.

Why?

Because controversy sells. Always has, always will. The Kinks had it right: "Give the people what they want."

God bless.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The point is a continued denial of personal responsibility for the condition of their lives.

No one alive today was held as a slave. The vast majority have no idea who their last relative was that was held as a slave. It's just more whining. Wanting something for nothing. All coming from the left who basically want to hold blacks in something akin to slavery to help them advance their agenda.

It's a good thing there are many black Americans that don't buy into this baloney and continue to work hard to maintain their families and improve their lives. Too proud to knuckle under to the poor me, I'm black pathology of the left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Always has to be someone else fault.