1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Would YOu Tell Your Kids?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 19, 2014.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's say your favorite sports team [high school, college or pro] had won the big championship game and during the celebration party and gathering, one of the dignataries speaking at the gathering dropped the "F-bomb!"

SEE: http://www.latimes.com/local/cityhall/la-me-garcetti-f-word-20140617-story.html

Two questions:

What would you tell your children if, while watching this event, they heard an elcted offical resort to profanity to describe the event?

AND, would you let the person who dropped the bomb, know of your disapproval?

Okay, I have one more question [sorry]: Do you think or feel that one of the reasons our children are using more profanity in public places is because of the poor role models we have in high places?

Would like you opinions! Thanks!

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good questions about a real life situation.

First off, I wouldn't bring it to their attention hoping they wouldn't have heard or understood it.

IF they asked what it meant I would explain it in simple terms as a vulgar word used by those that don't know the goodness of God.

My son-in-law was a navy MP - my grandkids have heard this kind talk by his friends but are aware enough to let it pass and know that words of that kind are not uttered by our household.

I personally wouldn't express disapproval to the official ; hogs wallow in the mud and I expect them to get dirty.

I think kids need to be taught that the words they use tell others about themselves.

Rob

#2 Deacon, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
  3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use tobacco. Okay..., so I'm not a good person. That out of the way, the other night I'm at my grandson's little league baseball game (7 Yrs Old) and this self appointed member of the Tobacco SWAT was on sight. He's taken it upon his-self to police the smokers.

It's ironic to me that in our society today kids are subjected to foul language..., consumption of liquor..., dope, all kinds of abuse, S*E*X, killer computer games..., and the list is endless..., and the only focus from the community at large is aimed at the evils of tobacco?

This kid has been protected from tobacco smoke only to find himself shot while boarding the school bus.

Go figure.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on how old the kids are and what they've been allowed to watch on tv and at the movies,etc.

Sure, why not?

Naah. That comes from poor role models at home who let them watch and do whatever they want.

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, we had this very conversation in our house when Chase Utley did that very thing in 2008. Didn't really have to tell them anything. They already knew he was wrong.

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

What made LA mayor Eric Garcetti's f-bomb worse than most is that he acknowledged "politicians should never be video taped with a drink in their hand or using foul language ... " and then did it anyway.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This situation has already come up. I have two teenaged boys. I tell them, "I know you guys have heard that word before, but it is a word that we don't use. Don't start using foul language, it categorizes you as a lesser person and it's language a Christian doesn't use.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

:applause:

9. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    delete......