1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastors it has begun

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Exactly.

If you've been subpoenaed, some judge obviously thinks it's legit. So rather than go to jail, obtain legal counsel to respond in kind that you do not believe the government of Houston has any standing to demand your sermons.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here's an excellent idea from Alan Wisdom:
    "So Houston Mayor Annise Parker wants sermons? Send her sermons, pastor friends! She shouldn't have to deploy lawyers with subpoenas to satisfy her hunger for the Word.
    And don't be stingy now; send Mayor Parker a generous selection of your best work, so that she can savor the full message in context. I'm sure her appreciation of fine preaching extends beyond the city limits of Houston, so those of you in other jurisdictions aren't excused for making your contributions to her spiritual nurture.
    "We also need to broaden Mayor Parker's exposure beyond the narrow focus of her lawyers' subpoenas. The church is so much bigger than Southern Baptists, Pentecostals, and other conservative evangelicals. I'm sure the mayor would benefit from seeing a range of biblical interpretations, all the way from left to right. This really could be "a teachable moment," as you pastors like to say."
    "We have renounced the shameful things that one hides; we refuse to practice cunning or to falsify God's word; but by the open statement of the truth we commend ourselves to the conscience of everyone in the sight of God." (2 Cor. 4:2)
    Send sermons to:
    Mayor Annise Parker;
    City of Houston,
    P.O. Box 1562;
    Houston, TX 77251

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

She's gonna get bombarded. :laugh:

This really is ludicrous because unless the sermon has been recorded and placed on the internet, there really isn't a copy.

Most pastors only do outlines.

If she wants to get online to listen to pastors preaching, I can give her some good suggestions and provide the links too.:laugh:

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's one way to go about it, but I don't believe in playing defense. I'd rather go on offense and let them put me in jail in order to call attention to it and bring about a test case.

Going to jail is not the worst thing that can happen in this case.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (Russel)Moore called the Houston incident a case of “legal bullying” and addressed it in a recent blog posting:

“The separation of church and state means that we will render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s, and we will. But the preaching of the church of God does not belong to Caesar, and we will not hand it over to him. Not now. Not ever.”

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/10/15/pastors-to-mayor-dont-mess-with-texas-pulpits/

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She's going after pastors of megachurches. They typically do have recordings, in fact, the city of Houston could probably download the sermons off the church's website, but I suppose she is going through the legal machinations to see what they will do, or else to buy time.

7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or for the publicity.

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMHO, this is just the sort of situation that we saw with Rancher Bundy.
    The stated motive is immaterial, but it's a test case to see just how far the public can be pushed w/o rebellion.
    This same scenario could happen a year from now, and the reaction from the public TODAY would determine where they draw the line just to keep from starting a riot; or if the mechanism is in place, TO START A RIOT!!!!

Yes, I'm pessimistic and cynical regarding anything, ANYTHING, this current progressive deviant party does.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We finally hit 50 in attendance again this Sunday after a long time and yet we do have our sermons online. If you listen to them, you will even hear my voice do the intro....

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That's kinda what I thought which is also why it serves no purpose to issue a subpoena. She and the judge need to be ashamed of themselves.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Houston Backtracks on Church Subpoenas

Houston Mayor Annise Parker is doing damage control after national media picked up on her subpoenas targeting local clergy who protested her equal rights ordinance.

The mayor says the subpoenas were too broad, and should not have included actual sermons.

"It’s not about what did you preach on last Sunday," Parker told reporters Wednesday. "It should have been clarified, it will be clarified."

The Alliance Defending Freedom filed a motion to stop the subpoenas earlier this week.

City Attorney David Feldman says he didn't review the subpoenas before they were issued.

"When I looked at it I felt it was overly broad, I would not have worded it that way myself," he said. "It's unfortunate that it has been construed as some effort to infringe upon religious liberty."

The city promises to narrow the language of the subpoenas.

Read more: http://www.woai.com/onair/the-joe-p...s-on-church-subpoenas-12867545/#ixzz3GGmKQRo0

12. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is a shot across the bow of the church.

13. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps I overlooked it, but what we're they supposed to include?

14. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This would be considered a minor scandal on its own in the town where I live.

15. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's disturbing to me that this guy sees this only as a religious liberty issue,

While it certainly is that, it has serious consequences for free speech, in general.

It's also not only an attack on the 1st Amendment, but on the 4th an 5th, as well.

If I were a Houstonian, I'd be thinking "recall".

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott is demanding that Houston city officials withdraw the subpoenas they issued to five local pastors.

The City of Houston demanded that the pastors turn over sermons and correspondence with parishioners which discuss sexuality, gender identity and openly gay Houston Mayor Annise Parker.

The subpoena is part of an ongoing controversy in Houston, where some are opposed to a law which allows men who identify as women to use the ladies bathroom, and vice versa. Opponents of the bill filed a lawsuit, so the city issued subpoenas.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2014/10/15/texas-ag-houston-rescind-subpoenas-issued-pastors

17. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member