1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday School Quarterlys

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you use quarterly in your Sunday School?

If yes, and you are a teacher - how far in advance do you go thur the lessons. ie - upon receiving the new book, do you scan all 13 lessons or do you just do it weekly

Also, in one class we might take up to 3 or 4 weeks per lesson. It took us over 6 months to complete the book.
    So should the teacher rush through the lesson "to stay on course" so the class can finish by the end of the scheduled completion?

Other thoughts for making SS a more effective teaching tool?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Quarterlies? :sleeping_2:

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Our church uses Lifeway's Bible Book series. I've noticed that sometimes the lessons extend beyond the normal 13 weeks, so the writers and editors don't seem to be in any hurry to finish up.

Lifeway also supplies resources beyond the Sunday School Teacher's book.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

This is a pretty good series. Some writers are better than others of course. Without quarterlies (or something to put in Bible Study teacher's hands) we have fewer teachers.

Lifeway used to have a series where every age level got the same lesson on a Sunday. Liked that one too.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is lifeway the only publisher you all use?

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Recently, yes, LifeWay has been it.

I have been in groups that used things from the Navigators. What I remember was very good.

I reviewed a book from the Life Application series that could be used as a quarterly

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We don't. In any of our group settings we don't use standard, take home materials. The just end up being a waste of time and money.

As a teacher, what are you doing to present a unique lesson? Are you using PowerPoint? What topics or passages are the focus of your study?

8. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We use quarterlies in our adult Sunday morning Bible studies. The weekday home studies use other material that is approved by myself and the deacons.

We try to make it a more effective time by insisting that SS not be a "talking head" thing. They must allow time for discussion about how the passage being studied affects our lives.

We also provide any necessary teaching tools for teachers so they can learn and then teach.

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My SS class uses Lifeway's Explore the Bible Series. I like it better than their other one. Both are effective ways to study.

The other one (and I can't remember the name) picks a topic perninent to today's Christian - abortion, marriage, family, worship, evangelism - and says "what does the Bible have to say about this?" You might be in Genesis for a couple of Sundays, 1 John another Sunday, and Luke another. That's fine. Nothing wrong with that.

I just prefer the other way. Explore the Bible take an entire book of the Bible in one quarter (or two/three in one quarter) and you study the book almost in its entirety. After 8 years, you will have finished the Bible as a whole. In the fall, I will be starting my 15th year with the senior adult ladies, so that means in 2 more years we will have studied the Bible in its entirely TWICE together as a class.

At the end of each lesson, there is a "what about you?" section. It makes modern applications for the modern Christian based on what the lesson was on. I am a stickler for that.

If you cannot make applications from the SS lesson to your personal and daily life and have your life be changed, then there is no point of having SS. Just surveying the Bible is of no use to a SS class.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

My Sunday school teacher and I (I'm his substitute) both use the Lifeway material for the Explore the Bible series. We download the lesson from Founders.org. They also link to Lifeway , to Spurgeon's sermons, John Pipers sermons from the Old and New Testaments and Matthew Henry's Commentaries.

Lets someone take a shot and say, "Ah, the old Calvinist SS lesson, gettin' their licks in," let me suggest you go there and check them out for yourself. There is no constant Calvinist drumbeat in the SS lessons.

We get the Biblical Illustrator and a Commentary from Lifeway, as well.

11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was out of state and missed it. Just what was Jeremiah, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down,

And was he, to build, and to plant, the same thing he was to root out ect?