1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured If it's not the Gospel, what is it??

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by steaver, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh: You think you making a declaration that it is malarkey is pointing out WHICH PART IS DISHONEST AND WHY???

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

In the past Luke 2427 has claimed the same thing.
    Most of the Calvinists posting here have referenced Spurgeon who in one of his sermons said the same.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Following is a short definition.

Continued in a following post!

4. OldRegular

Continued from a previous post!

The following discussion may be a little much for you steamer but have a go at it.

The above link provides additional detail in case you are able to absorb that which I have posted.

I have challenged you to provide the name of one Calvinist who believes that TULIP is the Gospel. You have so far failed to do so so I must question your veracity. I have presented the Biblical definition of the Gospel to which I believe most Calvinists would subscribe.

Romans 1:16. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Can you name one Calvinist who believes that nonsense.

TULIP is not the Gospel. The Gospel is defined in Romans 1:16.

TULIP represents a part of the Calvinists understanding of the Biblical Doctrines of Sovereign Election and Grace. I have presented above how the doctrines described by the acroynm TULIP came to be.

This has been answered above.

By the Sovereign Grace of God through the penal substitutionary atonement provided by Jesus Christ.

#64 OldRegular, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  5. OldRegular

From what little I have read of her/his posts I would call sbm a hypercalvinist!

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why continue. Sproul is wrong.
    Arminius held to the "Belgic Confession," was a Calvinist, and said under oath that he could without reservation sign Calvin's Confession of faith.
    I suggest you take each one: the actual belief's of Arminius and compare them to the actual beliefs of Calvin (not the Westminster CoF, nor the Confession made at Dort). Do some digging. See how much difference there is in each of their beliefs.

7. OldRegular

I really don't care what either believed. I have never read anything by either and don't intend to do so!

DHK,

How do you know that you are not one of those God chose to Salvation in Jesus Christ before the foundation of the world?

How do you know you were not regenerated before you ever attended that Protestant church and ACCEPTED Jesus Christ as your savior?

How do you know that your Salvation from the beginning was not the work of God the Holy Spirit!

8. OldRegular

That is a extremely sorry, sleazy statement for a Christian to make

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We believe in the surety of the Gospel message of the Cross of Christ, in His birth/death/resurrection for sinners, and THAT is a sure revelation from God, but the Sotierology of calvinism is NOT on same revelation levels, but it is to us the best way to rxplain just how and why God redeemed us!

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And I am not a slave to SBM to look up what she says in her posts. If she wants something looked up, quoted by herself then she can quote herself. I am not going to do her work for her. If she forgot what she said, why ask me to repeat what she said? Don't rebuke me for it.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I just finished giving my testimony in another thread in the General Baptist Forum. That is something that SBM has never done, and won't do, even though asked many times. It is also something that other Calvinists won't do.
    My guess is that the minute they say: "I believe" they consent to the fact that they did indeed believe or had faith. SBM considers faith a work. Therefore her salvation would be by works. She won't give her testimony lest she incriminate herself.

Concerning myself: I know that if I were to die right now that I would go to heaven as surely as if I had already been there. I am sure of my salvation.
    You presume "Protestant church." I was never saved in any kind of "church." I came out of the RCC., and was saved on the campus of a university. The only kind of church I attended after that was Baptist. And I didn't start attending a Baptist church until a couple of years after I was saved.

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.
    I heard the gospel. I was convinced of the truthfulness of its message and how it applied to me. I trusted not only in the message but the author of the message, Jesus Christ. "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day."

The work of the Holy Spirit is explained in John 16:
    John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

#71 DHK, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  12. OldRegular

You are void of human emotion if you cannot understand what you said. I don't care what your beef with SBM is or for that matter anyone else but just to show you what a sorry spectacle you make of yourself I repeat the post and emphasize what you said!

13. OldRegular

SBM and Calvinists have nothing to do with the questions I asked.

That is great. So am I!

Why then? How do you know it was not all the work of God?

How do you know that the faith you speak of was not the gift of God?

Yes and Jesus Christ describes the work if the Holy Spirit in the New Birth In John 3:3-8!

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why??
    Because that is my testimony. Your question leads me to believe, that you believe God can only save within the confines of a Baptist Church! Sorry to disappoint you.
    It wasn't the gift of God, nor the gift of Calvin, nor the gift of Calvinist theology. Faith, in the Scriptures is a spiritual gift (1Cor.12) and one of the fruits of the Spirit (Gal.5). God does not give faith to the unsaved/unregenerated. That is a ludicrous position to take, and is nowhere taught in scriptures. I have challenged you and others to provide scripture which says God gives faith the unsaved/unregenerate. None of you ever have.

The Bible says:
    "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved..."
    It does not say: "Believe (with God's faith) on the Lord Jesus Christ..

The new birth is the work of regeneration which is simultaneous with salvation. It doesn't happen without the work of the Holy Spirit.
    The main work of the Holy Spirit today is described here:

John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

15. OldRegular

I believe you are paranoid. I never mentioned the Baptist Church. I simply knew that you were a former Roman Catholic and had a quick look at your testimony about conversion. My recollection was faulty but I mentioned Protestant Church and Baptists are not Protestants in case you don't know.

You haven't challenged me because I have never said that God gives the gift of Faith to the unsaved/unregenerate. I have said God gives the gift of Faith to those he has "New Birthed", regenerated, made spiritually alive. Of course you deny this Scripture but it is true nevertheless.

Ephesians 2:1-8 [NASB]
    1. And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,
    2. in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.
    3. Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.
    4. But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
    5. even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),

6. and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places, in Christ Jesus,
    7. in order that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
    8. For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

Please notice in verses 4 & 5 that God made us spiritually alive when we were dead in trespass and sin through no act on our part. He then gives us the gift of faith by which we are enabled to believe.

I never argue with Scripture. I just argue with some peoples interpretation. I have said repeatedly on this forum that Faith is an essential aspect of Salvation.

And it doesn't require that man do anything. It is solely the work of the Holy Spirit as Jesus Christ tells:

John 3:3-8 [NASB]
    3. Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
    4. Nicodemus *said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?”
    5. Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
    6. “That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
    7. “Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’
    8. “The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Now show me where Jesus Christ says faith is required for the "New Birth". You say you know that you exercised faith and were born again. Jesus Christ says un-equivocally that you are wrong. Please note: “The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does it remind you of this one:

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, on this point you are right. Upon further reflection I should have never made any comparison to any disability at all. I apologize for that and if it were my forum I would edit my own post.

18. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

There you go lying on me again , I gave a testimony here a couple of years ago in a post and not going to give it again, you should have saved it ! JUST continue with your false accusations , it reveals to me your true character !

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Concerning my salvation, you asked: "Why, How do know it was not all the work of God?"

My response was:
    Why??
    Because that is my testimony. Your question leads me to believe, that you believe God can only save within the confines of a Baptist Church! Sorry to disappoint you.

--I had explained to you how I had trusted Christ, not in a church but at a university campus; that I didn't start attending a Baptist church until two years later.
    Then you say why? As if to say salvation must be in the Baptist church, at least that is the impression I get.
    --So I am not sure what you were asking.
    Why? Why what?
    Why?
    1 John 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
    12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
    --That is why! I know I have the Son. It is not a mystical experience.
    First, this is your exact statement (albeit in question form)
    My assumption here is that you are saying that faith must be the gift of God.
    The faith I was speaking of was the faith needed to be saved. The subject was salvation. I was giving my testimony, remember?

Regeneration and salvation take place at the same time, as does justification. It is not a process but an event. The gospel and faith in the gospel must precede all of the above. God does not give faith to the: unregenerate/unsaved/ unjustified. The gospel and faith in the gospel must precede all.

Ephesians 2:1-8
    1. And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,
    2. in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.
    3. Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.
    4. But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
    5. even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
    6. and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places, in Christ Jesus,
    7. in order that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
    8. For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

Please notice in verses 4 & 5 that God made us spiritually alive when we were dead in trespass and sin through no act on our part. He then gives us the gift of faith by which we are enabled to believe.
    --So what does that mean?
    The Calvinist redefines "death," to make it mean lifeless as a corpse.
    But it doesn't mean that. A corpse is dead. If it is dead to God; it is dead to sin. The same analogy can be used with the believer who is told to be dead to sin. If he is to be dead to sin then he can be dead to God. Does it make sense? How do you be a "corpse" to God, or without life, lifeless. Is that possible for the believer?

The word "dead" means "separated"
    You, were "separated" from God, has the Spirit made "alive" or brought back to God (reconciled).
    Which happens at the same time as regeneration.
    Faith is not a work; agreed?

3. Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
    4. Nicodemus *said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?”
    5. Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
    6. “That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
    7. “Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’
    8. “The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Now show me where Jesus Christ says faith is required for the "New Birth". You say you know that you exercised faith and were born again. Jesus Christ says un-equivocally that you are wrong. Please note: “The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”[/QUOTE]
    John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
    16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

20. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Faith does come from hearing the Word of God, but one must be of God to Hear God's words John 8:47 ! That is what Jesus stated !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.