1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Does One Know For Sure ....

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by ktn4eg, Jul 29, 2014.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

..... that he is "called to preach"?

A young man asked me how he could know for certain that God has called him to preach.

Having never been called to preach myself, I had no real answer to his question.

So......I'm asking those here on BB who have been called to preach just exactly how you knew that you were called to preach.

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Desire, burden, opportunity, affirmation of other mature believers are all things that should factor in:

Desire: Do you want to preach? If God is calling you in that direction, your desire to preach will grow, even if you are resisitant to it at first.

Burden: Do you feel a burden to share God's truth in an understandable way? Do you see a need that you can fill? Do you recoginize preaching as a servant's role more than a boss's role?

Opportunity: Do you have opportuities to try preaching? If you are stranded on a deserted Island, then God might be calling you to preach, but probably not right away...you'll need to get off the island first.

Affirmation: When you preach, do other mature Christians affirm your ability and your message? If all they Christians you respect the most keep suggesting you try something else, you should at least give them a fair hearing.

I may be in a minority, but I even think God's calling can change of the course of a lifetime. The same man might be called to be a mechanic in his 20's, a pastor in his 30's-40's, then maybe a mechanic again in his 50's if he believes he can better serve God outside of full-time ministry. All Christians are called to convey Gospel truth, Some are full-time pastors, some are bi-vocational, some are unpaid elders who are also mechanics, some are just mechanics.

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have encountered too many young men who have gone into debt to attend seminary believing they were called to preach, only to find out that grace was never given to them by God. There was no calling. In many cases the seminarian interpreted some subjective feeling as the call of God upon their life. They failed to avail themselves to one the most powerful assets at their disposal: their local elders.

Elders are responsible for the spiritual welfare of the flock:

Hebrews 13:17a Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account.

I encourage men who aspire to ministry to seek the counsel of their elders. Come under their counsel and authority. Give them permission to evaluate whether you display the spiritual character/maturity, theological acumen, sound judgment, and passion for the Gospel that is needed for ministry. Perhaps they will see something in your life that you do not see. If they agree that a man has the grace of God in their life for ministry, then they can commend them for training with their blessing and support. How different that would be than what is common practice today.

4. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

God will anoint you. You will know it because the experience isn't the same as getting a drivers license or a degree.