1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing Lottery Winnings

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Aaron, Dec 26, 2002.

1. JIMNSC

JIMNSC New Member

I said I wasn't going to do this but I'll make an exception when I "confuse" someone.

I posted:

2. JIMNSC

JIMNSC New Member

Hello Alcott:

The professions you cited are all honorable professions. Their sin comes not from what they "do" for a living but "how" they conducted business in that profession.

No, a church should not do an investigation of how every member obtains income to decide whether their contributions will be accepted. But, allow me this: If any man in my church (SB) made it known to my preacher he was giving a portion of his lottery winnings to the church, my preacher would politely thank him for his intention but refuse his contribution.

Surely, there must be those who give to the church monies obtained by fraudulent means and the church has no way of knowing it. That situation is between the giver and God with no investigations required. ;)

Sorry, I just can't picture Jesus buying a lottery ticket or accepting any portion of the winnings from it.

A friend - Jim

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

As do I but accepting money from someone who won does not mean that I am participating in their sin. If someone works in a restaurant that sells alcohol, do you reject their offering as well or do you reject to be consistent with this view? This could be applied to a number of things that would prove very impractical. In the bottom line, it is still money that belongs to them.

There are a number of things I woulnd't do but I still accept money from them. I woulnd't teach school but I have some school teachers whose money spends very well. I wouldn't sell houses but I have realtors whose money ends up in the plate every week. If someone wants to give lottery money to the church, my hands are not tainted, at least not by any biblical principle you have shown here. I am not befriending the world by taking their money. I am taking the devil's resources and turning it against him to do God's work.

4. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

You would be speaking of the Same Jesus who ate dinner with Zacchaeus, a tax collector which loosely translated meant "thief" in the town of Jericho?

I'm sure Zacchaeus served meat that was only bought with clean money and not stolen money!

5. JIMNSC

JIMNSC New Member

The very same Jesus, Hardsheller - there's not but one Jesus. The way I read this story in Luke 19, Zacchaeus was guilty of his thievery before he was saved and Jesus was the epitome of loving others and HE saved him that day.

Zacchaeus "truly repented" of his wicked ways and notice that Jesus picked the "chief" of the publicans with whom to dine. HE picked the big dog to save which I would suppose may have even influenced the lives or actions of other tax collectors subordinate to Zacchaeus. Jesus walked in the midst of publicans and sinners - BUT - HE was not unequally yoked to them.

Jesus mingled with the worst to give them salvation if they would repent.

I'd say, because HE was perfect, Jesus blessed that meat before it was eaten - reckon that meat was still vile after it was blessed by our LORD?

You are assuming, Hardsheller, that particular meat came from wicked means. I doubt it did or Jesus would not have partaken. He lived a sinless life you know. :D

Now, allow me to assume something. You probably think lottery winnings are not dirty money or you might not have posed your question to me, right? Forgive me if I've assumed incorrectly. If I was correct in my assumption, then your blood will not be on my hands as I acted as the watchman and sounded the alarm. If I am in error - no harm done - except for rufflin' your feathers a little bit.

God bless you, brother. Your friend - Jim

[ December 31, 2002, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: JIMNSC ]

6. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Here's the deal from another angle.

Many believe that most lottery losers are poor people who can least afford it.

These are the same people who spend all their money foolishly most of the time on booze, gambling and other sins. Many of them are on welfare.

Just for the sake of argument since they're not going to pay any other taxes except for sales taxes is not the lottery a way to tax those who are going to frivolously use their money anyway?