1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ferguson, MO

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Sapper Woody, Aug 14, 2014.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

No what was he talking about today?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Military Gear" is safety gear and I have no problem with our police officers being kept safe.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Poncho seems so wrapped up in the equipment. Right tool for the right job. I fail to see why he gets so incensed when he sees police use a military like item such as a helmet. Just because a police officer in a riot situation switches over to combat boots doesn't mean his next step is to throw everyone into a FEMA camp.

4. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He wanted to thank his audience for letting him use their insecurities and irrational fear to make a sizeable fortune. Also not to drink tap water because, ya know...fluoride.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very simple - don't threaten the cops! Use the system properly to obtain justice. The police have a right and a responsibility to be safe from threats.

IF - that's if the officer who shot the individual is actually guilty of murder he should be punished - but we need to allow ALL the facts come in, before forming any opinion.

6. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have to know that stuff like this doesn't help the perception of the police right now. See story below.

Journalists detained

"Earlier in the day, police detained and released two journalists -- Wesley Lowery of The Washington Post and Ryan Reilly of The Huffington Post -- who had been covering the shooting and the unrest. Neither was charged.

They said they were taken into custody at a McDonald's restaurant, where they were working, for failing to meet a police officer's deadline to pack up their gear and move.

"All of this went down, as you can see in the video, in less than two minutes," Lowery told CNN's "New Day."

"The idea that we posed any sort of threat because we weren't quickly enough packing up our bags is just ludicrous," Reilly told "New Day."

The Ferguson police chief said he did not know the detaining officers, adding: "We had a lot of different agencies out there."

The Huffington Post accused police of "false arrest" and "militant aggression" against the reporters. Washington Post Executive Editor Martin Baron said "there was absolutely no justification" for the arrest of his newspaper's reporter.

Police also detained St. Louis Alderman Antonio French, who has posted a continuous stream of protest video to social media. He was released Thursday morning, he said.

In all, police arrested 12 people -- including the two reporters -- Wednesday night, Jackson said, bringing the total since the weekend to 65. He had previously said 18 people had been arrested. Two police officers were injured Wednesday night, Jackson said"

Regardless of what happened they have to be smarter than this. The perception is going to be that they are trying to hide something.

7. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

8. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

The main problem I see is that everyone is reacting on hearsay and speculation. No one wants to wait for the facts, they just want to hear anything that sounds wrong and act against it. This does truly show America is still a very racist country. I almost think our media coverage is just like throwing gas on a fire. I think there are some blacks in this country hoping for situations like this to go into riot mode, while some whites will use it to demean blacks.

But it is a good thing we have a President that is a unit-er and not a divider....lol, but don't bug him right now he's about to sink a 4 footer on the 18th hole...

9. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But then how will we nationalize the police and use them to suppress citizens?

10. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it that, when there's a war, everybody talks about "proportional response". But when it's the police, everybody wants them to show up to a routine call in a tank?

I'm not that old and even I remember the days when the cop would come and knock on your door and say, "Heard you were having some problems with your neighbor. Care to tell me your side of the story?" And then he'd go talk to the neighbor, call you both together, and mediate.

Now, they just assume you're a criminal and tase you and shoot your dog.

11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem isn't with military gear, but with the fact that, as the police receive more and more military gear, they, themselves, become more militarized and their disposition changes from that of local servant, to military guards.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't it funny how "race riots" always degenerate into a thieving free for all?

Most of them couldn't care less about the kid that was killed. He's just an excuse for lawlessness. They just want to steal and destroy property.

Property owners should be gunning them down at the door.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just wonder how much of it is really true.

Not much, I'd guess.

The 'feds" will just bring more military gear. Better, more expensive, and more destructive gear. To the feds, price is no object for the means to kill citizens.

#33 carpro, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
  14. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well this has happened now.

http://www.businessinsider.com/repo...st-louis-county-police-out-of-ferguson-2014-8

They should have been pulled before any of the riots began. It should have been obvious that having the same police force that killed a guy then turn around and deter protests about that killing was asking for trouble. Throwing gas on the fire to be sure. Then of course that same police force starts bullying the media. This was a comedy of errors.

The story is good and depicts an immediate change of tone from the state trooper presence.

#34 Use of Time, Aug 14, 2014
  15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those days are gone forever.

You do know that the highest incidence of police injuries is for answering domestic disturbance calls, don't you? They're just as likely to be met at the door with a knife , club, or gun as they are calm citizen.

#35 carpro, Aug 14, 2014
  16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably a good idea.

But I bet they are better armed than the local police. Those that are concerned about the militarization of the police will not see an improvement.

They may also be better trained. We'll see.

The best news from your report is that al jazeera got gassed.

#36 carpro, Aug 14, 2014
  17. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's why I watch Dragnet and Adam 12. To remember a time when cops were the good guys.

And that requires a SWAT team and an armored personnel carrier?

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. And police don't answer domestic disturbance calls with either.

They answer them in person, up close and personal. A lot of times alone. Never knowing when they will be met with violence.

It's not a job I'd want. Would you?

19. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, there have been many stories in the news about police responding to otherwise routine calls with a ridiculous show of military force.

I don't think I'd last very long at it. I think my fellow officers would get tired of me diming them for 4th Amendment violations and, as an Oathkeeper, there would be too many orders I couldn't follow.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do we hear things like that in the news - of course, but that's why it's news - it doesn't happen that often.
    remember "dog bites man" is not news, but it is news when man bites dog"

Just today on FB, I saw a video where a cop stop a vehicle for running a red light. After getting out of his patrol car, and seeing the driver, he realized that she was choking; pulled her out and preformed the Heimlich procedure. (no, no traffic citation was issued)

Where was "Rev" Al Sharpton ? Have you ever heard him praise the cops?

As a driving instructor, every now and then I will call the 800 # and report a poor driver. I also have called many times to report a driver who was a defensive driver and prevented a potential collision. When needed you should turn in a report, and you should also give praise when deserved.