1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blue like Jazz--Movie

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SolaSaint, Mar 12, 2012.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I see where the Movie "Blue like Jazz" is coming out soon (13 April). I never read the book, but is this going to be anything positive for the Christian cause in America? I've heard negative things about the book, but is this true?

http://www.bluelikejazzthemovie.com/

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if it will be positive or not make an impact at all. It depends on whether or not the movie is compelling.

I suspect it will be at least a decent quality movie from what I've seen.

I've been following the development and production of this movie for several years, so I know as much about it as anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

The screenplay was written by Donald Miller (author of the book) and Steve Taylor (the director) and was independently produced.

Lots of people have had negative things to say about the book, but more have had positive. Most of the negative things critiques I've heard of the book tended to be about Donald Miller mentioning that he enjoys having a beer from time to time and about how his view of the world and Christian responsibilities don't necessarily line up with current Republican political views. Some also bristle that his efforts to communicate the gospels with post-moderns are Reed College are unconventional and don't involve traditional "witnessing" methods.

Something that people need to know is that the movie will not be a rehash of the book, but rather a dramatization of some of the themes and anecdotes of the book packaged for an unchurched audience.

3. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

In a video about the movie there was a sound bite that worried me, it said something about not liking Jesus?

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The character, the main character I believe, was confessing that he was ashamed of Jesus... It is a confession of previous failure, as part of an act of repentance.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter