1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Biblical vs systematic theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Dec 18, 2014.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The Spirit of Truth may not, I say, may not, think it matters. I, am not sure.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no problem with post #3. Did I say they were or were not disciplines? Nope. Did I say I was providing a definition? Nope. I alluded to the possibility of a special definition existing.

So, since we are making suggestions, why not do a study on fault finding, using either discipline. :)

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For that, I'd use Historical Theology :laugh:

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Long cut or cross-cut.

As JOJ might say, just because a person can talk the talk, i.e. inside baseball theology distinctions, does not mean they can actually study God word and arrive someplace other than their path of presuppositions.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

True....of course the ability or inability to "talk the talk" has no bearing on one's ability to study God's word. On a more serious note, I though that y'all were speaking of disciplines in Theology (Biblical, Historical, Systematic, etc)...but I see your point that all of the above needs to be "biblical."

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I was and remain ignorant of "disciplines" taught in colleges concerning the study of God's word. But my presupposition is that it all fits together, so if the study is valid, it will end up in the same place.

We have all seen the "what we believe" statement of faith, where something is asserted, then a laundry list of verses is cited supposedly supporting the assertion. However, if each reference is looked at in context, the assertion is not supported and several cases actually refuted.

As one great theologian said, we should labor too long in the furrows of other men, but should plow our own furrows in the riches of God's word.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: OK. Here was what I was thinking when I saw the terms:

Biblical Theology engages the Bible as the individual authors addressed it in their situation. It does not look for application to our culture, but instead will look at what the words meant to a certain author writing to a specific audience (for example, it may address redemption as found in Peter's epistles, but would strive to exclude Pauline ideas into Peter's words).

Historical Theology explores how previous generations viewed certain issues/doctrines. It looks at the development of doctrines and benefits from counter arguments/defenses engaged at that time.

Systematic Theology looks at theological issues one by one. For example, if you were developing a systematic theology of redemption then you would derive your doctrine from the entire Bible. You would rely on Biblical Theology to understand what each author/book held regarding your topic, you would look at how previous generations dealt with the topic, and you would reason out a presentable teaching from what you have gleaned.

8. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greek Tim

Spoke with a friend whom did complete his Mdiv and unlike me took Biblical Theology. The books I mentioned are all systematic, but he did say the book The Law and the Gospel by Ernest Reisinger looked to be both. I know you have a difficult time using Google and or looking on amazon for books (correct me if I am wrong) but if you looked at that book would you agree?

In fact he says all my books except 3 are systematic in nature. The Moody Handbook of theology is useful for undergrad studies in Biblical theology, and the book by Thomas Scheiner is NT Biblical theology, and I have another book on OT theology.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This book is both Biblical and systematic?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0875523870/?tag=baptis04-20

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you one of these "I don't read books but the Bible" types?

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes another question calculated to suggest I ignore the scholarship of the past. Exhaustive concordances, Bible dictionaries, Lexicons, Interlinear translations, and of course commentaries. Even in this thread I have referenced the work of others. So your question seems disingenuous, like something out of middle earth.

However, I do not claim to be a mind reader, and giving you the benefit of the doubt, I rely on many of the methods and practices I learned in discipleship class, such as inductive bible study. In the first step, "observation" we learned to look at the passage as given at the time. Thus we asked questions like, what was the culture, the historical setting, the meaning of idioms at that time, and what what was the mind-set of the audience given the revelation at that time. (Sounds alot like an abbreviated "biblical theology" methodology, although that name was not presented or used.) Some of the aids were bible dictionaries, and the new manners and customs of biblical times.

The next step was called "principlization" where we tried to discern what if any timeless principles were being conveyed in the passage. We asked questions like, was this being addressed only to the apostles, or did this apply to any of Christ's disciples. And if the principle was derived from the Old Testament, we asked whether the principle had been embraced or superseded in the New Testament.

Finally, the third step is "application" where we consider how to apply the principle to our lives, such as never do wrong to get a chance to do right.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It looks to be systematic (I don't see how it could be both as once you introduced elements of systematic theology it would no longer be biblical theology....that's like saying "if I take 100% sugar and make lemonade then is it both lemonade and 100% sugar").

#32 JonC, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
  13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The book is topical, i.e. answering the question, what parts of the OT Law apply to New Covenant Christians. But that does not preclude looking at various scriptures as understood by the initial audiences.

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Within that also would be how each particular author recorded down by the inspiration of the Spirit unto us the theology, such as how Luke and John and paul viewed certain doctrines?

And wasn't paul given by God the completeness of the revelation concerning us now under the new Covenant then?

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblical theology concerns itself with the progressive revelation from God through the scriptures text themselves, while Systematic also involves interaction with other views outside the texts themselves...

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Biblical theology is restricted to Scripture, that part is correct. But within Scripture it is also restricted. biblical theology typically does not explore progressive revelation through the Bible, that is too broad.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So it would be considering each seperate writers views on each selectibe topic then?

Such as a Pauline as compared to a Peterine view on election ?

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes. And that in context to and as developed by the singular source. Systematic theology attempts to put it together by overlapping the sources to arrive at a topical doctrine (how, for example, Peter actually relates to Paul).

19. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except for "whole bible" biblical theologies, which are becoming more and more in vogue these days.

20. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I say no. It would not be Paul's view of justification. It would be Paul's theology which happens to include justification among other things. Picking a topic is a systematic way to approach an author. Biblical theology would see the author's thoughts and theology develop and explain that. It would see how his theology and thinking are interlinked in the development, such as Paul's monotheism, election, and eschatology.