1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by ccrobinson, Mar 21, 2006.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Did anybody see the new Doctor Who last Friday night on SciFi? If so, what do you think of it?

The strength of Doctor Who has always been the stories, but the production values were usually terrible and not even a pig was as hammy as the acting at times. Although I was surprised that they did a remake of Terror of the Autons for the first one, the production values were far superior to the old series. The acting was some of the best we've ever seen and the story moved along very nicely.

Christopher Eccleston looked like he was having a lot of fun as The Doctor. I loved his line near the end, "We're in trouble now", delivered with a big grin. Rose holds quite a bit of promise as his first companion.

It's a promising start to the series.

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I tried to watch Doctor Who many years ago. It was honestly the worst, most incomprehensible thing I'd ever seen.

It was confusing, it was badly acted, and the production values would have made Sid and Marty Kroft look like Orson Welles.

Add to that that you never knew which one he was supposed to be. He's a young guy. No, wait, he's an old man. Hey, he's got short hair. Now he's got long, curly hair. Now he's a small gerbil...

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's just not Dr Who without the top hat.

Seriously, I was never a fan of the old UK show, and don't have any particular interest in the new Who.

Now, if we were to talk Battlestar Galactica, I'd be all ears.

4. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I saw it, I thought the first half was kind of dumb while the second half was improved. I've only seen a couple episodes of the old one, but I'm interested in how this turns out. I've heard from a couple of British web acquaintances that it's very good.

5. Kilad

Kilad New Member

I am really enjoying this series and I really love Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. It is ashame that he only lasts through the first season.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I can only watch Doctor Who via the SciFi channel. SciFi showed Dalek last Friday. If you have the seen the entire first season via BBC America, or know what happens beyond the Dalek story, please don't spoil it for me.

Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper have been truly oustanding. They are easily one of the strongest Doctor/Companion teams we've ever seen.

7. Kilad

Kilad New Member

No worries I am watching it right along with you on the SciFi Channel [​IMG]

8. Petrel

Petrel New Member

How was the second half of the one before the Dalek episode, where the aliens are taking over England's government? I missed that one and I don't know if I should be sad about it or not!

9. Kilad

Kilad New Member

I think that it was better than the first half of that episode. It was quite funny as well.

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I missed the 2nd episode too. I did read a recap of it, and I wish I had seen it. In order to defeat the aliens, the Doctor did a rather amazing thing.

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dr Who absolutley rocks!

In an upcomming episode of the new series, the Cybermen go to war with the Daleks!

Should be Awesome! [​IMG]

12. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The second series started here on Saturday - David Tennant has made a promising start as the new Doctor.

'Aliens of London' is a good two-parter - lots of references to WMDs in there, and Eccleston's line: "Do you mind not farting whilst I'm trying to save the world" is an absolute hoot!

13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

This is what I was talking about. I had no idea that Eccleston only did one season of Doctor Who.

Cybermen against the Daleks? I thought the Time War wiped out the Daleks. Do they travel back to a time when the Daleks were still around? I realize that it's difficult to have continuity in a series featuring time travel, but the episode "Dalek" loses some punch if the Daleks really aren't exterminated. If the Daleks aren't truly exterminated because of time travel, then can't we question whether the Time Lords are truly gone as well?

14. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Some Daleks survived - as you will know from the last episode of Eccleston's Doctor - although they were apparently wiped out by Rose after she looked into the Time Vortex; it may be that others have survived too...

15. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Watch the spoilers! [​IMG]

Unfortunately they aren't routinely rerunning the last week's episodes here, so I'll have to wait before I can catch up on that one.

Why did Eccleston leave?

16. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Got cold feet AFAIK

17. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Well I like Rose but find this Doctor a bit off-putting, so perhaps it will be a good change. I did a bit of poking around and it looks like the new guy has had a lot of interest in the story in the past, so hopefully that will help him do a good job. He also has a less cranky look, and I've always preferred the Doctor less cranky.

18. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Tom Baker was for me the quintessential Doctor (he kind of represents my formative years!) but both Chris and so far David have exceeded my expectations.

19. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Yes! That's him. I didn't watch it on TV but I read novel adaptations of many episodes and he was always my favorite.

20. Kilad

Kilad New Member

Season one will be out in June or July on DVD which of course will be joining my collection. I am assuming that it will correspond with the showing of the last episode from season 1.