1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Summit University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jerome, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dropping "Bible" from a college that is fully accredited and offering many liberal arts programs is not necessarily bad. But a historic "Baptist" school dropping that moniker and then just going after a secular/neutral name like "Summit" (which sounds like any community college in America) is troublesome.

It is a sign of deep change within philosophy.

A few decades ago, BBC's sister school and also "approved" by the GARBC (General Assoc. of Regular Baptist Churches) changed its name. Evolution since 1975
    Grand Rapids Baptist Bible College
    Grand Rapids Baptist College
    Cornerstone College
    Cornerstone University

Today it has NO tie to "Baptist" (proudly, in their publications) or their founding principles.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the school my younger brother graduated from......its in Clarks Summit Pa. I'm sure he will be happy with the University Status. It was originally a Jesuit RC school. Do you see any evidence of it in the architecture?

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Given the history of the "Bible college" movement, this is another step in a fascinating journey.

I can honestly say that I don't find it surprising that they've made this turn. You've got to wonder though, how the founders of all these institutions would react. The whole intent of the Bible college plan was to offer a non-university, exclusively ministry oriented institution that focused on training up pastors and missionaries who remained faithful to certain theological tenants amid a university structure that was increasingly marginalizing those positions.

By diversifying their educational platform certainly helps with bringing in funds, and access to the federal student loan program does that even more so, but that wasn't the original vision of these institutions. These were to be separate, distinctive institutions with a singular purpose.

Just a curious development I suppose. I'm not at all opposed to it.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A point of clarification - BBS (the original name was Baptist Bible Seminary and located in Binghamton, NY) bought the Campus of the Jesuit Roman Catholic School ( I think that was in'69).
    BBS/BBC was never affiliated with the Catholics other then purchasing the campus.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know my alma mater was Maranatha Baptist Bible College founded by Dr B Myron Cedarholm. Historic fundamental, totally independent.

It is high quality education, fully accredited, nursing, ROTC, 40 majors, D-3 NCAA Football etc. About 25 years ago they STOPPED the Bible major (used to have 30 credits of your 132 in Bible and earned a "major") but simply made those credits part of a 55-credit "core" every student had to take. BUT you had to have a "real" major/minor, not just "Bible".

LOTS of complaints but kept Bible in the college name. Achieved university status and just a year ago changed to Maranatha Baptist University. They wanted the "spiritual" impact of Maranatha so as not to be confused with a community college named after a city or buzz-word. And administration thought long and hard about keeping "Baptist" in the new name.

This distinguishes the school, laying out foundation that might be missing in schools that let the name slide.

But would not be surprised in 10 years to see it simply Maranatha University - so not throwing stones at Summit :) I've been on their "new" campus in Clarks Summit and it is lovely.

8. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the bible college movement is all but defunked, I think bible colleges, in order to stay relevant and open, need to make these kind of changes. My only worry is whether they can keep their heads above water while doing so. There are so many Christian universities out there to compete with that are large, affluent, and well established. These schools are coming late into the game with a strange foundation (strange in comparison w/ the other universities). While it is a good change, it may be dead before it ever gains speed. Then again, it may just flourish in its own right.

As I said, my alma mater did this and they are dwindling. I expect them to be closed in 10 years.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 2004, Practical Bible Institute (founded early 1900's) changed its name to Davis College. The reason given was that students found it harder to find secular employment in jobs such as teaching -with only a "Bible institute" degree.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Summit University sued by cult over name; ex-faculty of failed Mid-Continent University also trying to use same name:

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/montana/mtdce/1:2015cv00071/49075

["Church Universal and Triumphant" says they've copyrighted the name for their indoctrination seminars]

Former professor at bankrupted Mid-Continent University is trying to make his dream of starting his own school come true, wants to call it Summit University too:

http://www.paducahsun.com/PrintPage/092915_PS_Summit

"Former MCU faculty member Keith Roach told the Graves Fiscal Court on Monday that he and several others are proposing a new school that would be called Summit University."

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1