1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ordination Service and Installment Service

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by USN2Pulpit, May 21, 2003.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Good afternoon all...

The church that has called me to be their pastor is requesting a certificate of ordination from my present church, who stand ready to ordain me. My present pastor suggests, and I agree, that my new church have an installment service to mark the new beginning for both myself and the congregation.

Here's my question: Does anyone still have a handy-dandy "order-of-service" for these two types of services? If you do, I'd sure appreciate seeing it.

Thanks everyone!

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your Pastor has a good idea. Though, I think it better polity to:</font>
    • Join the new church</font>
    • The new church holds the ordination council and service.</font>
    The ordination service would also double as the installation service. As ordination in and of itself is required normally only for the signing of marriage certificates, this would mean you could enter into your pastoral responsiblities with the new church immediately upon their vote for you as their new pastor. The rest is all formality and catch up.

3. Iakobos

Iakobos Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    USN2Pulpit,

I sent you a PM regarding this posting.

I also wanted to comment on the situation here, as I had a similar one for my ordination this past May 3. My church in NC is very special to me, and I wanted some of those folks to participate in the service (they also offered to ordain, but I felt it more appropriate in the church that called me). I asked my pastor from back in NC to present the charge to me (he also baptized me in '98) and the interim pastor who I took over from here to present the charge to the church. Incorporating various "players" in my spiritual life and ministry made it a very special event, and I've gotten nothing but positive feedback about it.

One note: my pastor from NC had a death in the church come up and the funeral conflicted with my ordination (long story) :( , so I had to scramble at the last minute. I actually was then able pull in another part of my ministry, as a close friend from seminary presented the charge to me. [​IMG]

Congrats again, USN2Pulpit. [​IMG]

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ordination service and ordaining a man for the ministry should be done by a local church of people who know you and vouch-safe your ministry. In your case I would definitely be ordained by the "sending" church and step into your new ministry fully ordained in the eyes of the people there.

Normal Pre-requisites include:</font>
    • Salvation</font>
    • Service in local church</font>
    • License to preach</font>
    • Credentials of training</font>
    • Church membership</font>
    • Experience in ministry (not a novice)</font>
    Not just an academic exercise (denominational seminaries ordain as a matter of graduation). It should be a time of intense preparation, self-examination and prayer.

Ordination is a priority for Pastor, needed for Church Ceremonies - marriage, baptism, Lord’s Supper - and needed for Government Recognition - taxes, social security deferment.

There are THREE STYLES followed today:

Local Church Program (lots of ifb, hylesite, BBF follow this, since they can ordain ANYONE without a care of education or formal training but have given good testimony and service. Are they prepared completely for the battle out there? Sadly, most are not)
    Presentation of Candidate
    </font>
    • Question salvation and agreement with doctrinal statement - 15 minutes typical</font>
    • Vote of congregation</font>
    • Laying of Hands by ordained staff/Prayer</font>
    • Sermon</font>
    Historic Traditional Baptist Program
    </font>
    • Call Council of Ordained men to question and recommend - 4 hours typical</font>
    • Conversion</font>
    • Call</font>
    • Education</font>
    • Character and ethics</font>
    • Detailed doctrinal exposition</font>
    • Denomination distinctives</font>
    • Experience, testimony of fellow-workers</font>
    • Laying of Hands by ordained ministers of council/curch/Prayer</font>
    • Sermon</font>
    Modern Program (gaining popularity as it is less formal and less "adversarial". Perhaps a different experienced pastor will give a challenge and moderate each part of the discussion)
    </font>
    • Call council to sit and "visit" with candidate around a table</font>
    • Discussion of Areas of Strength</font>
    • Discussion of Conversion, Call, Doctrine, Distinctives</font>
    • Discussion of Areas of Weakness</font>
    • Discussion of Practical Theology, issues</font>
    • Laying of Hands by ordained ministers of council/curch/Prayer</font>
    Hope this helps. I've taught Pastoral Theology at Pillsbury Baptist Bible College and all of the young men who have since stood for ordination have opted for the traditional (#2) route. I would like to see the new method become more in vogue.

I've also seen the #1 style and am ashamed most of them call themselves baptist. Their training was a sham and their so-called "ordination" sullies the high calling of God.

5. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

Hi Dr. Griffin,

You know what? I never even knew several types of ordination procedures existed.

My church follows Type #1, and the resulting ministers do not know the Word well or teach/preach it effectively. Type #2 sounds so much more thorough and reliable.

Here's a question: if my church uses Type #1, should I still seek them out to ordain me? If not, what other avenues can I take?

To my knowledge, my Baptist union uses Type #1 even though I don't personally know anyone that has ever been ordained through it.

What other choices do I have?

As always, Thanks for your input. [​IMG]

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your church follows a method of ordination, then you may appeal for them to change for your sake . . or simply submit to it. KNOWING that it is not the best or preferred method is a good part of the battle!

You can continue to learn and grow and prepare to be the best pastor you can be. Ordination does not make the man; it is the work, training and experience that, coupled with the call of God and gifting of the Spirit, makes a minister.

God bless you!

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

If you wish, PM or email me and I'll give you what I have together.