1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Best time in service to recieve the offering?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Primitive Baptists have never separated families during service & it is the responsibility of the parents to train up their kids.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Primitive Baptist are known for doing all sorts of weird things. They are often viewed along the lines of Westboro Baptist folks. AS far back as I can remember there was training in church for kids and it was going on long before I came along.

Parents do need to be training their children but that does not mean that we should not also have training at church. Torturing our children to sit through teaching toward adults that they do not understand does nothing but waste time for them.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I couldn't agree more. Kids are question oriented anyway in their early learning stages and the congregational sermons obviously don't really allow for that. The small group focus with a solid children's leader can maintain an age appropriate pace for the kids to keep up with the lessons. I've seen an impressive foundational knowledge when I pick up my kids from these groups and have been impressed with their ability and excitement to tell me what they learned.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whole heartedly agree! There's a lot to be said for age-appropriate teaching methods.

We feed the kids softer food until they are ready for the tougher stuff.
    It even works for newer Christians - begin with the basics.

I remember sitting through long boring sermons as a kid; never learned anything except that I knew I didn't want to be there... aggravated the bejiggers out of my parents in the process so they probably didn't get much out of the sermons either.

Rob

5. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Come on Rev, this is absolutely uncalled for. I'm not PB, but just because you disagree with them don't equate them to Westboro. There are many good PB's here on this board. (Cue someone posting Rev's self righteous I'm sorry and I'm play nicer thread - apparently he didn't really mean it).

You can base how you do church on your experiences if you want to, some of the rest of us will look to scripture.

So the preaching of the whole counsel of God's word and letting the H.S. freely work is really torture to certain age groups, at what point does little Jimmy become mature enough to hear it? 10, 13, 15, 18, 21?

Seems most of you all want to shelter kids from biblical teaching beyond Noah had an arky arky, and fear they can't handle any concepts that might really challenge them, but at the same time most of you all would probably have no problem taking them to a PG-13 movie or letting them watch whatever on TV.

The age segregation mindset has dumbed down a lot of churches. Because its been done so long, when little Jimmy and little Sally grow up they find church boring. As a result we look around and say where are all the young people, and end up watering down the gospel and resorting to pragmatism to get them in.

6. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL!! I like your thinking Jon!! :thumbs:

7. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

:applause:....:thumbs:.....:applause:

8. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent post.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been in churches that have children's church and I have been in churches that don't. The intent of children's church was never to shield children from biblical teaching. It was quite the opposite - to teach and disciple. Too often the goal of having children in service seems to be to teach them how to behave in service or merely to have them present with their parents. But the goal should so be the same - to teach and to disciple. We don't have children's church but I can understand the benefits of both views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems like an unfair comparison.

To some, "Cowboy Churches" also seem to do strange things.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did your parents also spend time with you on learning & reading the bible or did they state that it was the churches job to do those things? How often have I seen parents do the typical "Dump & Run" where they don't even set foot in the church, rather they drive up, drop them off & take off....then pick them up after service. That's what I see as a common occurrence in your type of churches. Then they go to" play-land" & learn all about Noah & the animals.....how nice. And because it was the curriculum of the church, then the parents believe that they all punched the clock & everything is honky dory till next Sunday. No wonder kids today are so "ME" orientated......parents pander to them so they can grow up spoiled, arrogant & expectant that daddy buy me a BMW on my 16th birthday......cause every other spoiled brat has on. I dont think so.

#31 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, no kidding.

[/quote]

Well done! :applause:

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If a parent does a "dump and run", they aren't teaching their kids at home anyway and so we should be grateful for those faithful saints who work with these kids each week to teach them the Gospel. We have had many kids saved in Sunday School which for us is held during church (children leave at the pastoral prayer - sometimes before, sometimes after). They are expected to be in the service starting in 7th grade but are certainly welcome before that should their parents choose to do so.

Let's not forget that Jesus' own parents let Him leave them when they went to the temple. I'm guessing that was not an uncommon practice.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And your telling me there is no discipline mechanism for the parents?

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry, did I say something to indicate that children are being taught by children?

16. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come on, Crabtownmitchell. You can do better than that.

When I stated that segregating the church by age was a terrible fad, you responded with "Anyway the fad involved here is by Calvinists who recently decided that childrens classes were against scripture. It is new and it is a fad."

So, clearly, you were disagreeing with my objection to segregating the church by age.

You said my objection was "against scripture" and yet, I can show you several that show it is not.

Do you have any verses to support your belief in segregating the church by age or not?

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At this point since you have resorted to a personal attack I will just say that I did not say your objection was against scripture. Other than that I will leave you to it.

18. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So then, no, you have no Biblical evidence for your belief that church should be segregated by age.

19. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I remember it well... The dear old saints raised the kids as well as their parents... Think of it this way the whole church are your parents in the Lord... I well remember sister and brothers correcting my behavior in church... Especially the older ones and they took to heart that was their God appointed duty... How fondly a remember those dear old saints gone to be with the Lord and I'm 69... Never forget it takes a whole church to raise children for the church of the Lord... Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it... Brother Glen

20. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes we are a peculiar people and you don't understand our peculiarities but we understand yours!... Never heard of these Westboro Baptist Folk all I've known all my life is I'm an Old School Old Line Primitive Baptist now on a Baptist Board... Brother Glen