1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Suicide

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Phillip, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Where do people get the idea that if a person commits suicide they will go to hell even if they were saved?

I can see the Catholic view-point (which I do not believe in) that they believe they must be forgiven of their sins by a priest and they don't have a chance if they commit suicide; but, I have heard many Baptists quote this idea that suicide is some kind of ultimate sin. Or I have also heard preachers say if a person commits suicide they were not saved in the first place because a Christian would never commit suicide even if they were in pain (cancer or other diseases they will not recover from) or a physical reason.

I know a preacher who committed suicide and according to his doctor he was in a state of clinical depression caused by a chemical imbalance. I knew the man well and I am certain he is in heaven today. This was before a lot of the anti-depressants came out. I know a fundamentalist preacher who says it is a sin to use anti-depressants because God will comfort them. I believe this is true, but if a person has a chemical imbalance in the brain I can also see the use of medications to make them feel normal and that is the function of those types of drugs.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

believe that ALL who were really saved by Grace of God will go to heaven, its just that Suicide really is bad, as it destroys one who was made in very image of God!
    Cross of Christ still covers even that...

Think main reason people teach/preach on it as they do is the fear that might encourage people to 'take easy way out", and kill themselves in order to escape and get to heaven quicker!

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have talked with several people, including my own relatives, who've gone through, or are going through, clinical depression. All of them are professing believers.

One of them told me, "if you've never been through it, you don't know what it's like. It is a darkness that I can't explain. You can reach a point where it is so bad, you'll do almost anything to make it stop."

One said when a bout hits him, he can barely function.

Clinical depression has nothing to do with sin.

Anyone who thinks one ought not to take medication for it should also not take aspirin, should not take pills for heart problems, should not ever use a disinfectant or wash their hands before eating.

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is only ONE who has the keys to death and hell.

Therefore, no man can die or even "take their own life" but it be allowed by Christ.

I am reminded of William Cowper (pronounced Cooper).

He was raised in an orphanage and could not bring himself to comprehend the love of God, attempted suicide three times, and lived his life with sever enough depression that he was committed for insanity.

At the end of his life, it is reported, as he was about to slip into a comma, he first rose and said, "It's true! It's true! God does love an old sinner like me."

This man was possibly the most famous poet in his day and had profound effect on poetry even to this day.

He is also the author of "There is a fountain filled with blood drawn from Emanuel's veins, and sinners plunged beneath the flood, loose all their guilty stain..."

5. Romans7man

Romans7man New Member

Some of those same folks that would say one would be lost if they committed suicide would not think of smoking themselves to death as suicide, but the results are the same and it is self inflicted death. Slower, but still self inflicted.
    Most people that do commit suicide are lost before they killed themselves. But then again, most people that die are lost. Thats a good reason for us to get the gospel out.

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

No child of God will go to hell if they commit suicide. They will be perfectly clean and pure...as pure as Christ Himself...in heaven.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==For very good reason, suicide is taboo. It goes against the natural, God given desire we have to stay alive. If you go under water at some point your body is going to fight to come up for air. It is only natural. People who kill themselves go against that natural drive. Therefore many people tend to view suicide as the biggest sin one can commit against one's self. There is also the point that those who kill themselves are "playing god" (so to speak). Life should start and end when God says, not when we say. Those are some reasons people tend to view suicide in such a negative way. It is taboo.

==There is no Bibilical evidence to support the idea that a Christian would never commit suicide. While the Bible is clear that children of God cannot make a practice of sin (1Jn 3:9-10) it is clear that Christians can (and do) commit acts of serious sin. I think David is the perfect example of that. He became guilty of adultery and murder. Christians are very capable of making poor decisions and committing serious sin. So when you hear/read someone say that a Christian would never commit suicide just remember that is their opinion, not Biblical fact.

==A person's eternal fate is not based on what sins he/she commits. The Bible is clear that a person's eternal fate is based on whether or not they believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Those who perish are those who refuse to believe. Those who are saved are those who believe (Jn 3:16). Sort of basic really.

That said, it is impossible to know 100% for sure about the eternal fate of another person. We can say we "believe" he/she was saved or lost, but we can't know 100% for sure. Regardless of "how" a person dies their eternal fate is based on their trust, or lack of trust, in the Lord Jesus Christ.

==I like to avoid ad hominem attacks because they do not move the discussion forward. However, in this case, I will come close to using an ad hominem attack by saying that the preacher's statement is ignorant. It is like saying Christians should never go to the doctor because God can heal them. While it is true that God can/does heal, it is also true that He gave us doctors for very good reasons.

As to the question of suicide:

Suicide is a sin. It is not an unforgivable sin (Matt 12:31). Those who are guilty of suicide enter heaven/hell based on their relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ (1Jn 5:12).

8. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

"Where do people get the idea that if a person commits suicide they will go to hell even if they were saved?"

Usually from someone who doesn't know their bible very well. There is no evidence suicide is an unpardonable sin. As a counselor, I have run across Christians who feel because their last act in this life would have been a sin (taking their own life) that somehow God would reject them. This usually opens up a door to discuss the mercy and grace of God, and to turn their thoughts away from suicide and unto things more profitable for them.

9. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Salvation/regeneration/new birth covers every past, present & future sin. Christ's sacrifice has freed us from eternal punishment for sins. Christ did not sin & yet He orchestrated the circumstances of His own death before He "gave up the ghost". No one took His life from Him. He gave it up. It is popular to believe that suicide is a sin, but I cannot unequivocally say that it is based upon the actions of Christ.
    It also depends upon how we define murder. Scripture doesn't speak on the subject as it applies to one's self, nor does it directly describe suicide as a sin against God. Some make the argument that it is a sin because we are made in the image of God, but that is conjecture, not a direct-from-Scripture doctrine.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They that endure unto the end shall be saved. That's probably where it comes from.

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Tom,

Thank you for the fine comments. It is so sad, and destructive, when people especially some pastors will not recognize clinical depression as a serious illness. There are medications that can help this illness and people who suffer should be encouraged to seek medical help, not made to feel they are doubting God if they do.

12. Chuckster

Chuckster New Member

It's a great door to open up, David. I'm glad you're there for hurting people.

As I look at scripture, (an I'm no scholar), it seems quite clear...the only sin that is unpardonable is rejecting Christ as savior.

Everything else is covered and washed by His blood shed on Calvary.

13. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbsup: