1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "This Is Why Switchfoot Won’t Sing Christian Songs Anymore"

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by evenifigoalone, Apr 21, 2014.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

I bet you can't name enough to use up one handful of fingers.
    Can you name even one?
    What is a "shame" is people who make generalizations without knowing any real facts.

I'm sorry to take you to task, RD2, but you make it sound like a Christian band or singer drops out of the genre every day. Other than Brittany Spears, who doesn't appear, in hindsight, to have been a true sold-out Christian anyway, I can't think of anyone who "dropped out" as you claim.

2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Aww. I tried to take you up on your challenge, but can only come up with two names. Katy Perry and Elvis. Not the handful of fingers I was looking for.

On the other hand, a few country gospel singers started out country and switched to gospel.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Well, you did answer the second question with more than the one I asked for, so technically you win. But then, you're not RD2! :laugh: :thumbsup:
    That's true. Wonder why no one started a thread about them?

(PS: Don't know much about her, but think I would classify Katy alongside Brittany.)

4. Sapper Woody

I don't know much about Katy Perry, other than she grew up in church, literally prayed as a teenager that God would bless her anatomically, and release a Christian album before she became big name.

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing to be SORRY for....

.....here is one link that will open your eyes. I suggest you spend your time reading the entirity of the link, as it will rock your world with names of individuals and groups that double dip, sing for Jesus and the world.

I happen to know what I am talking about, but you have every right to challenge what I say, that is your God given right!

ENJOY [Oh, if you want to issue an apology when finished, that would be nice, but not expected, I know you too]: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils in America/CCM/christian_rock_bottom.htm

If the crow hasn't filled you up yet, here are 11 more groups to feast upon: http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/bands-you-might-not-realize-are-christian

Of course, drop out per you versus my view may differ greatly, but I am saying that a group who goes both ways, is no longer a group for Jesus any more than a preacher who speaks on Sunday for the Lord, and does secular comedy stand up during the week!

But I did my part ... I hope I helped to open your eyes. The question may remain, would you and your church bring any of these groups to your church for a concert? And my answer is, as a pastor, I wouldn't when there are tons of groups that sing solely for the Lord, and do not go out and make a living off the secular gate to make more money!

Most of the groups in the first link have appeared on Jay Leno at one time or another, and I was greatly disappointed in the songs and lyrics they chose to perform, especially since they professed to be Christian! :tear: I try to make it my business to know the groups that sing for Jesus, and those who sing for either! As much as I believe that there is a difference; I also believe, BELIEVE that I know how you will answer!

After all, if you can poke fun at my expense, you will surely find an argument in your logic to keep from losing FACE! But I equate these cross-over artists to the following cartoon: [​IMG]

#25 righteousdude2, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  6. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell me....

....is this Christ like? Is this what Jesus would do? I dont think so ... You're welcome to challenge me TND, but to poke fun at me ... or to make a joke at my expense! I have to question where you are coming from?

7. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fair enough. But I don't see it as wrong anymore than I would consider using my artwork for both Christian and secular purposes to be wrong. I'm glad to use my artwork in a Christian manner, in a way that directly glorifies God, but that wouldn't stop me from using my artistic talents in a career of graphic design, as I wish to do. Does that make me a sell-out, too?
    To ask that every bit of my artwork be directly related to Christianity is impossible. I don't see how that is anymore possible with music--music is and can be about many things. It's a form of art as well. Praising God is an important aspect of it, but not the only one worth doing. To some music is a ministry, to some it is a career and their calling to ministry may be elsewhere. I think it's rather unfair to make assumptions about their character and life over choosing to market their music to a wider audience.

#27 evenifigoalone, Apr 24, 2014
  8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That may be fine

But Jesus did call us to be separated from the world .... the saly of the world ... the beacon .... and when we begin to mix our witness and name in with the world, it waters down that witness! When Wsitchfoot appears at a secualr event where beer is sold, and drugs are eing used, what does that say about the teaching of the Word.

If you can do that, fine...I don't expect anyone on this board to believe as me. After all, you can see by some of my posts that I have drawn ire, or at least concerns! But, coming froma person who once mixed the world with my walk, I came to the place where the line became blurred, and soon my witness was questionable too!

So, being a Christian artist means some sacrifice. We read in John 6:66 "As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew and were not walking with Him anymore. So Jesus said to the twelve, "You do not want to go away also, do you?" We see that when He told them to be all the way with Him or to turn back, we see a arge number turn away and go back!

Being a follower has it's costs! That is all I can say! What you do Qd with that calling out is clearly your choice. I can't impose my beliefs on you or anyone else! Gob bless!

9. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is to say that they do that? I know Skillet, who is Christian but markets their music to a secular audience, has specifically said they do not encourage those things. If I remember correctly they don't play at shows that do, either.

Sometimes there are reasons artists choose to market under a secular label, and they're not always selfish reasons. In the end only God knows their heart.
    There have been Christian actors, too, who don't always act in Christian movies, but are still making positive impacts and being a witnessto the world. (I could name a specific voice actor who voices characters from animated series, and his position gives him opportunities to share his faith, even if it's not through his roles.)

Christians have all kinds of talents, and they should be encouraged to use them in all kinds of ways. It shouldn't have to be labeled Christian to be considered acceptable. (As long as it's not obviously wrong--there's obviously no such thing as a Christian prostitute.) If their faith is genuine, it WILL show through their actions.

I'm glad we have artists like Casting Crowns where pretty much every single song they make is Biblical--really, I am. They're doing a lot of good. But there are people who wouldn't touch music that was obviously Christian. Bands like Switchfoot and Skillet often have references to their faith in their music, even though it may not be immediately obvious to a nonbeliever. I believe this can be used for good as well. There are numerous ways to reach people.

#29 evenifigoalone, Apr 24, 2014
  10. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again ...

.... that is certainly up to you, and I meant it when I said I couldn't [which means I WOULDN'T] impose my beliefs on you! You have to do what you feel is best for you, and like with me and my beliefs on some of the gifts, the final response will not come from man, but rather God!

I can see where art may differ from singing. I once tried to live with feet straddling the fence, and for me, it became a blurred line, and it hurt my testimony!

I had two guys in my Christian band, who I knew played country music to supplement their incomes. And I saw no problem with it, that is until one night during an alter call, only two young ladies came forward. When I asked if there was anything I could pray for they told me they didnt care about prayer, they just wanted to talk to Randy [my lead guitarist] who they had seen, and mind you, "loved" during his sets at several local country bars!

Apparently, they had seen him numerous times, and never had the chance to talk with him. So, they felt this was the perfect opportunity to get up and personal with him! In the words of the brunette, "They thought he had a nice, tight body!"

From that incident, I issued the guys an ultimatum, and they left the group! I saw from that incident that splitting time between the church, and the world had its negative repercussions!

Let me also say, that prior to our church concerts, the two guys could be seen smoking out back of the church! Lucky for me, they were never observed doing this, even though the did have nicotine smells on their clothing!

There was also the story of a Christian comedian named Mike Warnke. He hurt his own witness when a disenchanted member of his crew went public about the wild, alcohol and drug parties Mike and staff held back at the hotel room following his concerts!

Eventually, when you are a performer, the world catches up with you! I don't see that happening in the life of an artist, but performers are different, and they only need one incident to hurt their testimony!

As an author, I can't stop who buys my books and where they are sold. But, I was fired by my publisher last year, for calling into question the fact that they let their president stay in place , even after he was arrested and waiting for trial for moloesting his adopted daughter for ten years! He is now in prison, and the publisher went bankrupt. This was WinePress, a major Christian publisher, and they fired me for calling them on the carpet for leaving this guy in charge of the company! BTW - I called them into question once I was told by a reader about the scandal! Word get around, and we have to make a stand!

#30 righteousdude2, Apr 24, 2014
  11. Sapper Woody

All these things you are mentioning have nothing to do with a christian playing at secular venues. All of these things are heart problems they have. They are poor examples of a Christian, but their actions are not a result of playing secular.

12. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, without Christ, what exactly is it that they're trying to "reach people" for? What people? For what purpose?

Don't get me wrong, about 90% of the music I listen to is secular and, even on a good day, I wouldn't listen to CCM if you put a gun to my head.

But I hate this "we're 'reaching' somebody for something, somehow", but we don't know who, what, or how nonsense.

I would have so much more respect for them if they just said "We're a secular pop band that sings songs with positive messages" than the Emergent nonsense the guy is spouting in the article.

13. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's the difference?

For what purpose?

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Even had the guys not been playing elsewhere, there might be girls who feel this way and respond the same way. I don't see how playing elsewhere made things worse in this case.

But I agree that testimony of a life well lived is huge. As I stated earlier in this thread or another (don't remember but it was in the last few days), I had the opportunity to get to know a well-known Christian band and did NOT like their life testimony just even from the time we got to know them before the concert. Girlfriends sitting in laps, WAY too much PDA, separating themselves from everyone and having a very "serve me because I'm important" attitude. But then I've seen other artists like LeCrae who are the real deal and while I'm definitely not into his kind of music, I will support him and recommend him because I know, without a doubt, he is solid and sold out on Christ. I don't tend to get "into" bands or artists much but when I do, it's usually because of personal experiences with them. Heck, when I went to a Delirious and DC Talk concert years ago, I was standing in the back of the room for a bit and a guy started talking to me asking me how I was doing and if I liked the show. I turned around and it was Martin Smith - and he was just striking up conversation. No "airs" on him - just a regular down to earth guy. We had a nice talk and I found that he really stands for what he sings about. :) I was sad to hear of them 'breaking up' but I understand since he's a real family guy and he has other ministry he wants to do. I respect that - and still love Delirious.

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

It was posted to point out that someone else answered a question addressed to you. That's not poking fun at anyone. Not sure why you're so thin-skinned that you think every time I reference you I'm chastising you or denigrating your or your viewpoint, but unless I say "I'm chastising or correcting you," anything I say to you is as a brother in Christ. That's exactly what I said at the end of the post in which I asked the question of you that Woody answered. If I've said anything that indicates otherwise, I'm sorry. It was not my intent.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that's not the way it happened, but you can believe what you like. I've repeated myself several times already, and there's nothing more I can add to the conversation that's of any value. I don't wish to argue.

#37 evenifigoalone, Apr 24, 2014
  18. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Accepted....

Actually, I do have a problem with extremely thin skin on the hands and arms! Many bruises. Maybe this physical problem carries into the emotional, don't know, but I thank you for the apology! I gained a new respect for you! Not many on this board are willing to say "I'm sorry!" :thumbs:

19. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't say that I ...

..... disagree with your observation :thumbs:

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I'm serious. I'm just floored by the brilliance and the intellectual and spiritual depth of the concept.

Thank God for Switchfoot and their absolute perseverance in the face of the fierce Christian hypocrisy. The Apostles would be casting their crowns at the feet of Switchfoot, but there's already a group by that name.