1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ferguson, MO

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Sapper Woody, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if they are better armed. It seems like they went with a minimal presence and the hope that law enforcement from outside would be seen as a little less emotionally charged. Either way it appears that the right call was made and the emotions are starting to cool. At least until the police officer that shot the guy goes to court. Buckle up because that is going to be a circus.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got some examples of domestic disturbance calls being answered with "military force"? I'd like to see them.

My guess is you wouldn't dime them near as much as you think you would. I think you'd get very few opportunities to do so. And you might work your entire career as a police officer and never get an order you couldn't follow.

It's apparent you know very little about the everyday job they do and the risks they take. Sensationalism in the news doesn't do it justice, but it appears you buy into it all and believe every police officer is a lawbreaking brute.

Makes me wonder what happened to you to make you so bitter against the police.

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What irritates me (my rant)

Why is it that Obama will take days or weeks to address a foreign relations issue, or the scandals within his administration; regarding the handling of the Lois Lerner emails, the VA, the NSA and Benghazi to name a view!.

But if there is a black person killed by a white person, especially a cop, he goes to television and makes statements that are unnecessary until he had all the info!

He did this with Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin, and he jumped on the college LaCrosse team scandal!

Instead of going on television and condemning all the black on black killing going on in his home state and the city of Chicago, he is quite selective in what he addresses, and while he called for calm, he also put blame on the loca police for fanning the flames.

I was watching life camera coverage of the protesters today, and with red handkerchiefs covering their faces, black men defiantly stood in the middle of the road, with the infamous fist raised towards the heavens, a one-time sign of the "Black Power" symbol used by the Black Panthers.

On top of that, Obama has just about every agency possible, in Ferguson, looking into everything from civil rights violations, to [let me be a little sarcastic here] NSA spying and wire taps and IRS violations by the cops and other white city leaders! When The news ran down the list of federal departments sent to Ferguson, I couldn't keep up with the long list of alphabet soup sent to investigate the town and its police.

If one were to remove the looters and trouble makers in Ferguson, it may just be that a normal protest would have taken place, and run its course by now as the matter is looked into!

For as long as I can remember, every time an incident happened, where looting and vandalism could be included, it was like people came from all over to get in on the take-what-you-can-carry-party! And this is a shame, as it doesn't do anything for the memory of the teen killed, and the family in mourning. It is merely an excuse by outsiders to move in and ignite civil anarchy!

The losers are the family of the victim, the community, the owners of the vadalized stores, and the law enforcement agencies. I am not saying the cops were right or wrong, time will show what hapened, but in the mean time, if you are a cop in Ferguson, you need to go abut enforcing the law, with fear and trepidation, as well as a good amount of looking over your shoulder in how you handle the next situation, because who wants to be the next officer to start a civil uprising!

This has all the ear-marks of Watts and Rodney King, and even the days leading up to the OJ Simpson trial. As a state employee, we were told by the department to hunker down in the offices. Should a department emergency happen, the line staffs were to go out in pairs, and a supervisor, was to follow them to the site and assist with any crowd control?!

Although our county was 75 miles east of LA, we had three communities that were known for being racial hotspots [per the DOJ] with groups like white supremists, black panthers, and the KKK. Yes, you read that right! The KKK had groups in several communities, especially the ones where the black panthers were residing!

It was scary, and extremely stressful! One of my employees [a white guy] was forced to cut his visit to a black provider, short when the husband came home and saw my investigator in his house, doing his job. He actually followed my guy to the car, and kicked the door several times, as he pulled away from the curb. Then he called me and cussed me out for sending a puny whit boy to doa man's job. I was also threatened by a black lady we were in the process of taking her license to run a child day care home away from! She claimed she knew what I looked like, and she'd be in the parking lot with a gun, when I got off work! Well, I got off work and she wasn't in that parking lot. But this ind of tension between races is highly stressful and I think unnecessary. BTW - these incidents too place during the Rodney King flare up!

I feel for all the innocents involved in Ferguson! And while I may not agree with the growing number of cop on black incidents ending badly during the past years, I have to say, that there are two sides to every story. We all need to be calm and let justice take its course.

Things are not anywhere as bad as they were 60 years ago, or longer than that. Blacks have come a long way baby! But some don't think they've come far at all! And it is the small group of troublemakers that were at the center of Watts, Rodney King, and Ferguson! The problem is, like the terrorist, they blend into the crowds and are hard to find and arrest!

Let's all pray for calm in Ferguson, and not jumpt to conclusions. Hopefully, with all the agencies looking into this incident, the truth won't be hard to hide of cover up!

BTW - the CHP officer beating the black lady alongside the freeway, looked as bad on camera as the information now coming in makes it! I just have a difficult time understanding how a cop, a teacher, a priest, or anyone of authority can risk losing all they worked to earn, will aw a moment of lust or anger to cause their world to go from good to losing it all? It makes no since! Especially for those in postion of responsiblity and trust! :BangHead:

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Wow. I actually missed all of this, been sick. Sounds pretty wild. There are too many differing accounts. I'm confused. Can someone summarize the facts of what happened and what is now happening? I tried to go read and different sites are saying different things and it is hard to read too much right now.

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, just because I have family members who were cops and knew virtually every cop in South Jersey when I was a paramedic and worked closely with them, why would I know anything about that?

I didn't say every police officer is a lawbreaking brute. I said that there is a militaristic culture within law enforcement over the last 10-15 years or so that has caused the police to think they're now our guards and not our servants.

And I'm hardly the only one who's noticed this.

I began to hear more and more news stories about out of control police and see more and more videos of police harassing citizens and violating their rights.

But don't you worry about those things. You'll make a good subject.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

There's a few folks on this board who have got some serious anger issues that as usual displays NOTHING of Christ. Now we're encouraging people to take the lives of other people on a CHRISTIAN board. SMH

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And what would be the purpose of releasing the name of the officer in the middle of such a heated situation? The governor said they would be doing that today.

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing in Christianity precludes protecting oneself or one's property.

9. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Just saw that. Unbelievably stupid IMO.

10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

I wonder what our conservative friends who scream for transparency in government will say?

11. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we go a ...

........ trolling, a trolling! :smilewinkgrin:

12. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well ....

We agree on this .... but you need to keep in mind when the ENTITLED demand, the government bows to them...

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? You want to jeopardize the lives and property of his family Ctb?

14. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I'm not sure what you mean here. I'm conservative and a big fan of transparency in the government. Not sure what that has to do with releasing the name of this officer.

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Nice excuse to shoot someone in the context of what we're talking about.

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I agreed with the other poster that his name should not be published.

But there are conservatives who are always whining about the government should be transparent. Well, to be consistent they would disagree with me.

17. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are conservatives who are always shouting transparency in government, nothing should be secret. I disagree with that stance.

18. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The context is shooting looters, which would fall under the category of protecting property, which is not forbidden by scripture.

19. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Wow. This whole page is a derailment. Sad. But back on topic, I am seeing headlines "Slain teen linked to robbery". I'm at work and can't look into it too much, but it looks like they're showing pictures of Brown shop lifting and then shoving an old woman.

This may not be directly related to the case, but it lends credence to the police side of the story.

Edited to add: Turns out the police officer responding to the robbery was looking for the robber when he encountered Brown.

Not many more details are known yet, other than the officer had to be treated at a hospital for injuries after the incident. If this is true, then Brown's best friend's story is a complete lie.

#59 Sapper Woody, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  20. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Brown was a thug and deserved what he got. Live dangerously, die young.