1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No Pampering at Gateway Seminary of the Southern Baptist Convention

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jerome, May 18, 2015.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There'll be no salon to get a man-icure at this SBC seminary!

TRUSTEES: GGBTS relocation to be 'mission-focused'

"'We have decided not to put in a preschool or daycare, a gym or other facilities that often appear on seminary campuses but don't necessarily contribute to its educational goals,' Iorg said. The seminary's new campuses are being specifically designed to operate efficiently and with a sharp focus on raising future ministry leaders, he reported."

2. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Gateway a colloquial way of referring to Golden Gate? Are they changing their name since they appear to be moving away from San Fran? Am I just out of the loop?

Yep... I should've just kept reading... Gateway Baptist Seminary. SMH

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They bought a vacant building near the Ontario, Calif. airport. The city calls itself "The Gateway to Southern California". Hence, Gateway Seminary.

http://www.ggbts.edu/news.aspx?item=175

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's fine...just don't complain when students go elsewhere.

5. reverist

reverist Member

I actually like the *reasoning* behind the decision. Doing something because other seminaries do it may or may not work out, but it's not a good enough reason to do it. Instead, everything must be run by the "why" of the purpose of the seminary. If it passes the "why" test and helps the seminary achieve a particular goal that is associated with that "why," then great. If they feel it doesn't, good on them for keeping the main thing the main thing.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

While I think Gateway is a strategically located seminary, I am holding my breath to see how this whole change goes. Not just the name, but the entire project lacks a credibility of vision that has been the impetus for successful seminary relaunches or geographic moves.

As for the topic of the OP, I loved the RAC at SWBTS. Call me shallow (which plenty have) but it provided a needed break and relaxation (through working out) that benefitted me during my time on the Hill. There are some educational amenities that are helpful, others that aren't. I don't see what the current crop of SBC seminaries offers as being excessive or distracting. Like it or not, these kinds of amenities are part of higher education today.

#6 preachinjesus, May 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015