1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Pastoral Committee and the Young Preacher

Discussion in 'Jokes & Humor (Clean)' started by PreachTony, Sep 10, 2014.

1. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I've seen two other versions of this one, but this how it was emailed to me:

A church was looking for a new pastor, so they formed a committee of church elders and deacons to seek a preacher. Several preachers came in, but the committee could not decide on which one to call.

The last candidate was an extremely young preacher. He stepped up to the pulpit and looked out at the committee. They began to ask him questions.

"How well do you know the Bible?"

He answered, quite confidently, "I know it real good. I know the Old Testament and the New Testament."

The oldest member of the committee coughed to clear his throat and said, "Well, tell us something from the Bible...tell us about the Good Samaritan."

The young preacher flipped open his Bible and turned several pages without taking his eyes off the committee. He never once looked at the book, but began to speak, "There was a man of the Pharisees who went down to Jericho by night, but he fell upon the stony ground and was nearly choked by the thorns. So he said to himself 'What shall I do? I shall arise and go to my father's house.' So he got up and ran down and climbed up a Sycamore tree. That morning Solomon and wife Gomorrah walked by and saw him and said 'Let us take him to the Ark of Moses for healing.' As they led him to the Ark his hair got caught in a tree branch and he hung there forty days and forty nights. Then the Three Wise Men walked by and said 'Let us take him with us to Ninevah.' And as they walked up to Ninevah he saw Delilah sitting on a wall and he shouted 'Chunk her down, boys!' and they shouted back 'How many times shall we chunk her down? Til seven times?' and he shouted back 'Nay, till seven times seventy times.' So they chunked her down four hundred and ninety times, and then they took up twelve baskets of the fragments that remained. Now in the resurrection whose wife shall she be?"

There was silence over the committee for a moment until the oldest member again coughed and said "Well, I think we oughta call him, boys. He sure knows his Bible."

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about this one:

Sunday morning the preacher says - please raise your hand if you read Mark chapter 17 this past week.

Most raise their hands.

The preacher then stated: "You are the group I want to preach to today. The subject of todays message is lying."

3. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I saw a guy do that to a youth group one time. It opened some eyes but it also angered a few. I guess people just don't like being called out for doing wrong.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is so true my brother.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An ingrown church, after rejecting some candidates, selected a Pastor from a very small church, because his sample sermon had been wonderful, full of truth and full of relevant application.

On the first Sunday after being called, the Pastor came to the pulpit, and preached the same message as his sample sermon given only 3 Sundays back.

After the service, the Elders approached him and asked why he preached that same, good and convicting sermon. Because, the Pastor said, when you start applying that one, then I will move one to the next one. :)