1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Returning From the Field

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by John of Japan, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Wow, 33 years!! Congratulations, and welcome back to the States! Praying God's blessings on you as you transition, and that you will adjust quickly. I was only in Japan for a year, but i left a piece of my heart there, and I know you will as well. :)

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Gwen. We certainly did leave part of our hearts there with the Japanese believers. They were so sweet to us, and a huge help.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what's the status of your New Testament translation now?

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for asking! "John and Romans" has just been printed for the first time, and is now available for various churches to have their own information added for their own printing.

We are finalizing the remaining books now one by one. Matthew is done and we are working on Mark. I go through and make the final decisions on various renderings in a book, send the files off to my final editor for editing suggestions, proofing and to have the furigana "ruby" translation marks added and have it put into PDF format. It then comes back to me for another proofing then off to our final proofing by Katsuyuki San (who also gives some final style changes).

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

And I'll take a copy of it if it has the "thee", "thou", "-eth", &c........:smilewinkgrin:

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What? No mention of Uncle Miya's input? He has been a great help in the enterprise;right?

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

John - Thank you for your service to the Japanese people. 33 years is a wonderfully long time and I'm sure there will be ripples of ministry that will continue on even after you leave.

I'd love to know the college you are going to. If you can PM me, I'd appreciate it!

8. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Good for you, John. And thank you for translating God's Word.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately for that idea it doesn't have a single なんじ in it, just あなた. :smilewinkgrin:

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did the base translation from Greek into modern Japanese, and "Uncle Miya" Miyakawa was incredibly useful in getting my work into good, clear Japanese for the 2nd draft. We finished that last year after working together every Friday afternoon for about 10 years. Without him the Lifeline NT (ライフライン訳新約聖書) would have been a poor version with many semantic errors in it. (I'm a lot better with Japanese grammar than semantics.)

I'll miss Uncle Miya--unless he can come and visit us like he day-dreamed; but he's in his 80's and on a budget, so I'll probably not see him until Heaven.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the gracious words. I'll PM you.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After over 40 hours in planes and airports and cars, we are kicking back in Myrtle Beach with Patty's sister and brother-in-law. We stopped first here because they had a car some nice people were giving to us, and we'll see our son Paul Saturday. Patty's sister Kathy picked us up yesterday at Charleston Airport. I bought an American éclair in the airport there. Gooey, sweet, sticky and yummy!

The flight from Japan was uneventful, always good on an international flight of almost 13 hours. We landed in Newark only to find out that our Charleston flight was cancelled due to NY weather. We were re-routed to O'Hare and spent the night in the airport because we arrived so late at night. Boy is that airport cold at night! Starbucks opened about 3:00 AM so we warmed up a little then. Had a great American breakfast (no fish or salad) at Chili's, then caught our flight to Charleston where Kathy picked us up.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....yea, I don't see any problem for you adjusting in this area ...:)

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We'll be okay as soon as we buy a scale. :smilewinkgrin:

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

::: raises hand :::

To weight the food, or to weigh you?? :laugh:

Welcome home, John! May God smooth all the rough spots for you from this point forward.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ME! Man oh man. Americans and their food. We had a great roast beef dinner with the folks we're staying with as we visit our son, then just got back from supper and some great fellowship at Texas Roadhouse with our son and our friends Dr. and Mrs. Maurice Robinson (research prof of textual criticism at SEBTS). Couldn't eat a bite more, maybe for days.

Thanks much. :wavey:

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought I'd post an update for all of you who have kindly followed this thread.

Shortly after getting here, my son and I traveled to the Bible Faculty Summit, a meeting of fundamental scholars kind of like a mini-ETS meeting. I presented a paper on Bible translation theory, and Paul presented a paper on didaktikos ("apt to teach" in 1 Tim. 3:2). I'm the See if you can pick us out in the photo: http://biblefacultysummit.org/. I had some good fellowship with Dr. Kevin Bauder, perhaps the leading fundamentalist scholar now that Rod Decker is in Heaven. That was good because we had some differences in the past about my grandfather's role in fundamentalism. Dr. Bauder was quite gracious.

We're pretty well settled in at home. We've bought our furniture and other needed items. We're enjoying American life--lots of foods we couldn't get in Japan. Right now I'm at Starbucks--oh, wait, we had that in Japan! :smilewinkgrin:

My office and my son's office ("Dr. Paul," they call him) are on the same hall, only separated by the Dean's office. It's great to just walk over a few yards and harass him some. We talk in both Japanese and English, amusing the college folk.

They have a block system here rather than semester, so I don't teach until October, giving me lots of time to prepare. I'll be teaching Elem. Greek, Eng. 101 (I speak it like a native) and Survey of Church History in the long (9 week) block, then Pastoral Epistles in the 4th block. Next year looks like a block in Advanced Missions in Jan., then Gr. 202 and who knows what else. I'm lovin' it!

Paul is teaching seminary Hebrew, Hermeneutics and Hebrew History. He's delighted to finally be teaching after getting his PhD over a year ago. Patty is really blossoming now that she doesn't have to speak in such a difficult language to serve God. I'm proud of both of them.

We're also enjoying the church which the college is connected to. It runs about 700. I'll be teaching SS (small group format) starting Sunday to men my age. There will be more men at the table than I ever had in a church in Japan! The pastor, admin and faculty are so gracious. Turns out that my mom and the pastor's mom went to Wheaton College together. My Grandpa Rice married his parents and even gave away the bride, who was an orphan who worked for him at the Sword of the Lord. Also, the pastor's Dad helped get me and my wife together. So there are many family ties.

God is good. :jesus:

#37 John of Japan, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014
  18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

John - What a wonderful update! I'm so glad you are settled and doing what God is calling you to do in this next season of your life. God bless!

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Ann! :wavey: