1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Minecraft

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Paul Rittman, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Paul Rittman

Paul Rittman Member

Our kids' school (which has a student laptop program) is offering to install Minecraft on student laptops (with parent permission).

I have heard of it, but really don't know what its about. I looked up for some online descriptions--its an adventure game of sorts, but I'm still not sure what its like.

Has anyone played it? Is it appropriate for 10 year olds? For Christians of that age?

I'm not worried about it becoming a distraction. Homework, chores are getting done so that's not the issue. Its just that I have no idea what this game is about, that's all.

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Yes, it is age appropriate for a 10 year old. There's two modes, survival and creative. In creative mode, the game is simply a building game. Think of it like a different type of Lego. In survival mode, the building element is still there, but additionally there are monsters that try and kill you and you have to survive.

A great video to get a basic idea of the game is the first video in Paul Soares Jr's "Survive and Thrive" series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B36Ehzf2cxE

If your kid does end up playing, I highly recommend Paul's video tutorials to help him along. Paul keeps it family friendly and entertaining too.

3. Paul Rittman

Paul Rittman Member

Thanks. that tutorial looks pretty good. I'll send a link to that channel to my child, so they can watch more if they want.

OK I'll give my approval.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My kids play it and it's been a time consumer (which we need to limit) but it's also very creative. My son learned how to build a real working circuit by using Minecraft!! Pretty cool, IMO!

5. Paul Rittman

Paul Rittman Member

Thanks for the input. We'll give it a go and see how it works out. Looks pretty decent from the youtube video I saw

6. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I play Minecraft. It's is rated E, and very family friendly. The only things some Chriatian parents might object to is that monsters such as skeletons and zombies come out at night, and you can make potions. Stuff like that.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Super Lego for computers. My son (11 yrs old) got two years ago...it's the one game that he has played consistently (actually, he's playing it now).