1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hispanic Origins are Not Races

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by FR7 Baptist, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

How does that make them Hispanic? That would make them non-Hispanic wouldn't it? I thought they are more Asian than anything else.

Some recent DNA studies for genealogical research indicates a pattern of all human origins extending from the area that is now Iraq and Iran. Wow!

2. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Many years ago I worked for some guys from S. America. They brought their father up here to work and he appeared to me mostly Incan. One of my co-workers who was from E. Kentucky didn't know what to make of him and asked me, "He's from Chiner aint he?"

People will be confused and I'm sure that in some Latin American countries they would be uncertain about your lineage too.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe Im slow here....Im half italian & everyone on that side, including brother & mother are dark skinned & in the summer could pass as black. Im very light complected & was blond as a child (your hair grows darker as you age) All that doesnt matter. The bloodline is latin correct so technically Italians are Latino's....right

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read it all.

Bottom line.

Who cares?

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I think those whose race is hispanic care. Why are you so insensitive to the hispanic race?

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm...

I thought there was no "hispanic race".

I don't have much patience with people who can't decide what to call themselves this week until it's more fashionable to use another name. It appears most of them can't even come up with a concensus on what they want to be called.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh you evil evil man....LOL

Ya know what....you want a citizenship .... 4 years Marine Corps ...combat duty.....As John Hausman said "They urned it"

8. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gotta love Kentucky!

9. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Let's see...you complain that people paint with a broad brush by saying all Mexicans are illegal. Then you paint with a broad brush against everyone in Kentucky. Yep...seems about right. :rolleyes:

10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In my mind Italians were the orignial Latino's. However, I was once back packing through northern Italy just north of Aviano at San Tome where a resturaunt owner initially thought I was italian but when he found out I was American and looked italian, he gave me a free meal while trying to teach me italian. So, there is some bonding there.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Whats wrong with loving Kentucky? You got a problem with it? Some of the most beautiful country I've driven through. My best friend is from Kentucky and the town of Hazard too. Good guy. Really into weight lifting. I like Kentucky more than Tennessee. But I've not had any bad experiences there either. "I just liked how the guy said "chiner" for China"

#31 Thinkingstuff, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2010
  12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgetting about the Irish and the Chinese?

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The original language base. Chinese is a Zhongwen based language system. Where as French, Spanish, Italian, Romanian, Portugese, Aromanian, Occitan, and Catalan are romance based language. Romantic refering to Rome or Latin. Latin being the Original Romantic language base. Irish is also not based on the Romantic language but Gaelic which originated as a Celtic peoples language of which they have their particular dialect of Gaelic.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I took your Italian post wrong. I took is as a reminder that the Italians were the first mass influx of immigrants.

Sorry.

I agree on the language part.

15. GFlanagan3

GFlanagan3 Member

Bottom line ladies and gentlemen what does the Bible say?
    Genesis 1:26-28 "26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” "
    and
    Acts 17:26 "6 And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings,"

I don't recall any such thing AS "races", it to me is a meaningless concept as we are all descended from Adam and not separately from some other ancestor. Since we are all from the first adam and have the sin nature we need the Last Adam to be the sacrifice for it. That is really all I care about, not skin tone or any other thing.

16. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My grandfather and grandmother are 100% Castilian Spanish, my father is therefore, a Mestizo.
    From what I gather from all these wise conversation, the basis for one being "classified" as either White, Indian, Pacific Islander, etc., is jus sanguinis, instead of jus soli.
    So I have 1/4 Castilian Spanish in me by my father.
    My mother is 1/2 Lebanese, that makes me have 1/4 Lebanese blood in me also.
    So.......what am I ?:flower:

17. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

...Yep!...

#37 NiteShift, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010
  18. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think what he is saying is something I had always figured, and that the is that the "base race" of most of the people inthe US we call Hispanics (Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, etc) is techically, American Indian. They had a lot of blacka dnw white mixed in, leading to the general "brown" shades they have taken on.

I realized this when I went to college in the South, and there were several American Indians (including a Roommate), and they looked just ike the Puerto Ricans I left back home in the city. It's the same three races mixing, only one group was colonized by the Spanish, and the other by the English. The Puerto Ricans were originally the Boricua tribe down on the island(note how the name sounds like "Puertorico"), and other tribes in the area were the Arawaks (on the English colonized islands where the population is largely black (Jamaica, Haiti and the rest of the BWI), the Arawaks had been largely wiped out). The Mexicans, of course are descended from the Aztecs and others from that peninsula.

I'm not sure if Spaniards are considered "Hispanic". They're usually called "Castillian" to distinguish from the AmerIndian-derived groups.

But yes, the Indians are believed to have descended from Asians crossing the Bering Strait, and in the Biblical table of nations, would be of Japheth.

Otherwise, all are now mixed, so the distinction of "race" should be less relevant.

19. targus

targus New Member

Should be... but unfortunately not.

Race identity makes for "good" politics... victimology and special interest groups - both of which keep certain politicians in office.

20. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I think the victimhood is being a bit overblown. There's some out there, but not as universal and effective as it's being made out.
    A lot of what seems to be keeping it going now is people who think some other race group is taking stuff from them (at the behest of the politicians), and then react. I think that may also be for the same reason from the politicians; their own careers and agendas, and deflecting the focus from other areas where our problems lie (global economics & politics, etc).
    Divide and conquer. Some have recognized this for some time now. Others don't.

It's just a shame how things have seemed to have deteriorated recently, in public discourse.