1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WHAT IS the purpose of government, anyway?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, Feb 1, 2011.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

Far as I can tell, most of this list is in rebellion against Romans 13.

Romans 13

Submission to Governing Authorities

1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

2. mandym

mandym New Member

I'm sorry I missed the list which list is that?

3. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

In America we, the people, are the ultimate government. We just want our governments - local, state, and federal - to do what we have empowered them to do - nothing more and nothing less. We want our leaders - the ones we select - to act as God's servants within their appointed limits for our good and to bring fear to the minds of those who do wrong. We want our government to respect the other institutions - the individual, the family, the community (the community - not its government), the church, the worker and the employer, etc. - of God's great plan for man on earth. We do not desire to be ruled by kings, tyrants, or caretakers. We do not the government to take care of our every need, to regulate every aspect of our lives, to educate our children, to discipline our children, to determine our wages, to determine our business, etc. We actually want the Biblical model - the sum of the whole Bible - of civil government to work and realize God's great blessing in granting us this opportunity at self-governance. We want to preserve our system of government so that our nation's citizen will not be tempted to rebel against a government that would otherwise be like so many others around the world.

#43 Dragoon68, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
  4. billwald

billwald New Member

On this list you all laughed at a dem because he (unknown context) misidentified the three branches of the US government. Which branch is "voter?"

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A nation can only be policed if it wants to. It can only be governed if it wants to.

6. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

He means LISTSERV, an early form of bulletin board.

Don't worry, within the next 20 years billwald will begin calling it a board, and may even learn to use the quote feature!

7. billwald

billwald New Member

>A nation can only be policed if it wants to. It can only be governed if it wants to.

Do the genuine Christians on this list <G> wish to be governed?

8. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

:thumbsup:

This is something niether Waldo nor obama understand...

The US Constitution reads: "We The People" a few lesser life forms calling themselves "people" have usurped the power "We The People" empowered them with.

In some cases it was because "We The People" were asleep at the wheel.

In other cases it is because an arrogant regime has blatantly snubbed its nose at "We The People" and the US Constitution.

We can not be in rebellion against ourselves, per se, if it is "We The People" who are demanding that those we hired to administrate our Nation change their ways or be replaced, impeached and imprisoned.

Please note that to Administrate implies Stewardship not Rulership or Kingship as obama believes, and we all know what happened to the unjust Steward.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those with an independent rebellious spirit would not want that.

10. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

It was assumed by our Founding Fathers that "we the people" would be the same people that they recognized in the Declaration of Independence and the Preamble to the Constitution who knew God as the Creator and granter of all that we hold dear, including our nation.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe this is stage 3 of what is international known as hate speech leading to genocide ... that is calling people something less than human. I just checked, and yes it is stage 3 of 8 stages leading to genocide. It is the stage called dehumanizing.

There is no place for such speech by a Christian.

12. mandym

mandym New Member

hmmmm.....Would the word "birther" qualify as such? That seems less than human.

13. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

1Co 4:3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself.

On This Issue...

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if the person using the term went on to say or imply directly that they are less than human. Otherwise, IMHO, it is a term denoting a belief.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Brood of Vipers"—Jesus

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not judge you. Your words are those of hate speech. There is no room for hate by a Christian. We are to spread Christ to the world. Hate and hate speech do not do that.

17. mandym

mandym New Member

Ok I believe you. Do you believe even still that language (birther) is representative of Christian behavior and promotes peaceful and loving discussions? Or can it create unnecessary strife and animosity with those whom you are conversing with? Isn't such a term a pejorative?

#57 mandym, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2011
  18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently the term carries a much more negative connotation in the States than what I sense here. I may have missed something, but I do not understand why it is considered so negative, especially by those who hold the view that brought on the term. It seems to me that they do not want to be held accountable when they say something very negative, but do want to be seen as victims when they are criticized.

I can see that it could be a barrier to Christian communication ... but so could, from what I understand, their irrational pursuit of this issue. I believe it cuts both ways. I see neither side in this issue as being Christian, it is political and I seldom see anything Christian in politics. There seems to be a lot of hatred and I must say from what I have read the hatred seems more strident by those holding the view that Obama is not a natural born citizen. But let's not get this thread bogged down in that issue.

#58 Crabtownboy, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2011
  19. mandym

mandym New Member

Well I would suggest two things and I will move on. First if you are going to correct someone else for their speech consider your own first. You know the old beam in the eye thing. And second if you are worried about bogging down a thread then you should worry about bogging down a thread even if it is you. May the Lord bless you richly today.

20. billwald

billwald New Member

>It was assumed by our Founding Fathers that "we the people" would be the same people that they recognized in the Declaration of Independence and the Preamble to the Constitution who knew God as the Creator and granter of all that we hold dear, including our nation.

And definitely not the Indian People from whom our Founding Fathers stole land and murdered.