1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hispanic Origins are Not Races

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by FR7 Baptist, Oct 28, 2010.

1. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I've noticed many people on this board referring to Hispanic people in racial terms. That simply isn't accurate. Hispanic people can be of any race. That's why the U.S. Census form asks race and Hispanic ethnicity separately. I'm going to list all of the races Hispanic people can be.

White- People from Spain are white, just like people from England, Albania, Latvia, or France. Spanish people came to America and there are a substantial number of white people in Hispanic areas.

Black- Some Cubans, Dominicans, and Puerto Ricans are black.

American Indian- These people were already here when the Spanish came.

Some Other Race- Many Hispanic people fit here. What most people think of when they think of Hispanic people are Mestizos. Those are people that are of mixed European and Indian ancestry. However, there are Hispanic people that have just a negligible bit of one or the other, to the extent that they would be considered white or Indian.

There are a myriad of implications arising from this. For example, saying someone is "Hispanic looking" is meaningless. You can't be racist against Hispanic people. You can be racist against Mestizos because that's a racial category.

I'm going to talk more about white Hispanics. Marco Rubio, Florida Senate candidate and a light-skinned Cuban American, is a perfect example. He's white, or close enough. Just about everyone in Argentina and Spain are white. My Hispanic grandmother's family is composed of light-skinned Salvadorans. That's because they are overwhelmingly of European ancestry. I'm sure there's also a negligible amount of Indian ancestry, but it's so minuscule it doesn't count. The rest of my background is non-Hispanic white.

2. targus

targus New Member

Why are liberals so obsessed with race?

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I agree!! When I was coming up in the 40's and 50's, it was a segregated society by law down here in Florida. What is called Hispanic today, those folks were welcome in the front door everywhere, where as the blacks weren't.

Then came the I'm a victim mentality, where that came from, I'm not sure. I do recall Adam Clayton Powell trying to get most non whites and women to unite, so they would have more power. The funny thing he didn't push for the Oriental. If that had something with it or not, I don't know.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you havent mentioned the other common name on the street...Latino.

Doesnt that mean Latin? So an Italian from italy is a Latino? Confused?

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Latino is what I was taught, that all groups that their language came out of Latin, but they were not a different race. It looks like the more we are taught to unite with all people, we are a like, it seems to segregate us more, it all about people.

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

So what you are saying is that your race is hispanic?

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Matt are you asking me, no I'm not( as you know hispanic isn't a race). Like when I ask my grand parents what I was, they said American. Both side came over in the late 1800's and they were on a waiting list for 5 to 8 years before they could come over. You know had to have a sponsor, a needed trade and x amount of money. They were so happy, they would not allow German to be spoke in the house or teach us much about their homeland.

Now if you are asking Paul, I don't know.

8. FR7 Baptist

No. Do you need reading comprehension help?

9. matt wade

Yes, I suppose my gifted classes at Ft. Caroline Junior High were not quite up to the standard as yours at the same school.

Or maybe it would help if my race was hispanic? Maybe I'd understand better then? :laugh:

10. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm Latino and I think it comes from Latin source languages known as romantic languages. Central and South America are predominately spanish speakers or Portagese speakers that its easy to lumb them all in a latin based catagory based on language. However, the op is correct. I happen to have Olive colored skin that most people place me as Italian, Greek, Pakistani, Jewish, or mexican. Of which I am non of these people groups. My mother is Irish decent with the red highlighted hair and all. My father is from Nicaragua with the typical Mayan/conquistador mix. However, with the boarder problems. Anyone having my body type and skin color may be discriminated against as being a Mexican generally considered illegal. Though ther are many legal Mexicans.

11. matt wade

Any proof to this claim? I don't know anyone who generally considers Mexicans to be here illegally.

12. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I live in the North East and most people refer to Mexican's as Illegal. If I were in California, Texas, New Mexico, Possibly Arizona I would get less of that nonsense but up here in the North East its a different matter. Even if I lived in New York I may get less of that because of the in flux of Puerto Ricans. And I know for a fact when I was in Tennessee it was definately the case.

13. FR7 Baptist

Matthew, you seem like a smart guy, but you choose to act stupid sometimes.

14. matt wade

Thanks Paulus. So does that mean that if my race was hispanic I would have better reading comprehension or not? I guess this is one of my stupid moments? :confused:

15. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I never saw or heard of a problem till about 15 years ago, when an in flux of many hispanic ( when checked most were illegal) came in and most couldn't speak English. Jails began filling up with folks who didn't speak English. Local folks got up set.

Down here in Florida our Cuban friends seemed to get more up set than most. I believe police officers (many were Cuban) were setting up at convenience stores and catching them, most were illegal and that turned many of the people.

Our church is about 20 per cent hispanic and they seem to get more up set about the illegals than lets say I do. As they say many of the illegals makes it much harder on the legals.

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok so you agree with me.

17. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

If you are saying that the legal immigrants and home grown folks who have Spanish background get more up set over this than I do down here in Fl., then my friend, you are correct.

I was just in Texas a few weeks ago and their mood is changing, to wanting the illegals stopped at the boarder and the ones who get through, they seem to want them run out.

What is it, Don't Mess With Texas, and they feel like they are being messed with, or at lease where I was.

18. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with you. I don't like illegal immegration any more than you do especially because of the drug scene and prostitution etc... However, I also see people blindly accuse hispanics of Being Mexican just becuase of how they look. It happened to me at work about a month ago. I felt embarrased to have to explain I wasn't mexican. The one that killed me was when some one was speaking about a bad part of town where gangs are they said to me you know what that's like around there with your people and all. What! I was livid! I Told them "I served in the United States Military for 6 years. I was born in this country and I bleed red, white and blue!" My "people" are all Amerian citizens not just one distinctive group.

19. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Pray for them. I've got a friend who was in prison for something he didn't do, and his deal was over turned with new facts, the the police caught another person and then it was proved that he did it.. It was for rape.

He still is looked at funny, a lot of women don't want him in their neighbors, all for something he didn't do. He said you need to get thick skin, pray for them, or you are going to be a victim the rest of your life.

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Man thats gotta be tough. Wow. I will pray for him.