1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Joel Osteen resigns, cites ‘lack of faith’, leaves Christianity

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Houston, Texas – CNN.com – April 2, 2013 – In a shocking and surprising development, megachurch pastor Joel Osteen has announced he is resigning from his post and leaving the Christian faith.

In a statement released on his website (http://www.joelostenministries.com), which appeared stripped down and bare, he said he has been questioning the faith for a long time. “I believe now that the Bible is a fallible, flawed, highly inconsistent history book that has been altered hundreds of times. There is zero evidence the Bible is the holy word of God,” said Osten.

The reaction across the Christian world ranged from shock to grief to anger. “I can’t believe it,” said Jolene McCormack, of Austin, Texas, “he’s the last person I would expect to defect to atheism.”

Some of his parishioners at his Lakewood, Texas area megachurch expressed anger. “We’ve given him so much, and now he’s leaving us?” said Jim Burger, 65, a ten-year member of the church. “We won’t stand for it.”

In recent months, Osteen had demonstrated a willingness to deviate from Christian doctrine, often peppering his sermons with “New Age” references and at one point calling himself “God”.

http://joelosteenministries.wordpre...igns-cites-lack-of-faith-leaves-christianity/

2. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A special message from Pastor Joel

Friday, March 29, 2013

"Thank you for visiting. As many of you may know, and may have heard in the news recently, many of my sermons have deviated from traditional Christian doctrine. I have been accused of altering the 'message' to fit my own doctrine and dogma. Others have accused me of preaching 'feel good Christianity'. I have also been accused of profiting greatly from my ministry, with my books and television deals.

Many of their criticisms are legitimate.

What they don't know is that deep down in my heart, for a number of years now, I have been questioning the faith, Christianity and whether Jesus Christ is really my, or anyone's, 'savior'.

I am now at the point that I am comfortable enough in what I believe that I am ready to announce to the world that I am no longer a Christian. I am no longer a believer in Christ. I no longer believe the Bible is the word of God.

I believe now that the Bible is a fallible, flawed, highly inconsistent history book that has been altered hundreds of times. There is zero evidence the Bible is the holy word of God. In fact, there is zero evidence "God" even exists. I believe I am more like God than the God of the Bible, a fictional character.

Today, I informed my closest colleagues of my decision to leave the church. Our ministry will continue in a bare-bones fashion as we liquidate our assets and fulfill various financial obligations.

I want to thank my wife, our parishioners and our faithful followers, the City of Houston, Lakewood, the State of Texas and my close friends, Oprah Winfrey and Larry King, for all of our support over the years

We're also having some trouble transferring ownership of some of our web sites, so as of now, I haven't been able to update everything on all of them. I'm dealing with some church leaders who refuse to accept my resignation. They are refusing to change or alter any of our many web sites, and this is the only one I have control over."

http://www.joelostenministries.com/

3. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

hoax site. Joel's last name is mis-spelled in the link. The link says osten when it should say osteen. Add the extra 'e' and you get to the real site.

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Should probably stick to Drudge. ;)

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

This probably would have been more appropriate on April 1st.

I doubt Joel and Victoria are going anywhere. They're making too much money "preaching the Gospel according to Joel".

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Clearly a hoax. Come on folks, lets not desire so hard for terrible things that we fall for anything when it comes to certain people.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OP has a history of believing anything that is written so long as it lines up with his beliefs and opinions. Furthermore, any source is legitimate, even Tass.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: :thumbs::applause:

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    why would he leave, as where else could he go to find such a willing flock to be fleeced out of their money?

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Olsteen hasn't preached Christianity since I first heard of him.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like what my senior pastor says:
    "Olsteen preaches a good half of the Gospel"

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

A RICH Deceiver

Osteen is a VERY rich wolf in sheep's clothing. I'm actually tempted to be sad that the OP is a hoax. What is even sadder is the state of spiritual blindness that each week fills up the pews of his false "church" and the coffers of his very fat bank accounts. Satan must laugh with great glee to rejoice (if that is possible) about all the people he is able to deceive with almost no effort. Very sad indeed.:tear:

Bro.Greg:saint:

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had it been true it would have been very sad that someone would walk away from the faith. Although it would have been clear evidence that he was never of the faith to begin with. That being said it would have been good news that he left the pulpit.

As far as the slanderers in this thread. Well, I will just let the Lord deal with you.

14. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Slanderers? :laugh: You are the one who repeated a story as fact that turned out to be not so.

If you will not vet a story before starting a thread about it, don't be surprised if you get grief when you are bamboozled.

15. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Nothing new here. Typical Mitch, spending his days on the Internet looking at dubious sites, seeking out ways to slander others, then reposting to the BB without vetting. Consider the source.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    very sad:tear:

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  18. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

19. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Hey lets take it easy on the Rev, we all have probably been duped by hoaxes before and some may not even have known it. I wouldn't be surprised if Osteen struggles with the truths of Scripture but just keeps it hidden. If he knew the truth he would preach it. IMO

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just let them talk. Their pettiness just shows their character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.