1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 150 years since the Civil war.

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Jan 28, 2015.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Have you participated in any of the revelry?

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, my old regiment had a reunion at Bull Run.

3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I seem to remember some type of reenactment weekend last summer down in Green Bay.

4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

No, but in keeping with stereotypical tradition, everyone here in the south has been digging up their hidden stashes of Confederate money, since, as we all know, the South will rise again. [/sarcasm]

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Given the state of US Currency perhaps that is not sarcasm!

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly when did government officials of the CSA ever surrender?

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Didn't "Our Boys" surrender there at Appomatax?? It still bugs the stew out of me that the last flag that Lee waved in front of Grant was white!!! Me believes we should have held out---recapture Richmond for the cause and reopen the Mississippi River for trade with the French and English(and whoever else felt led to peddle their little homemade trinkets to unsuspecting souls of the newly re--established CSA!!!!!!)---peacefully, of course!!!!:laugh::laugh::saint:

8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The armies surrendered. While Sherman and Joe Johnston attempted to make a military and political settlement (with the support of Secretary of War John Breckenridge, a former U.S. vice president, and the concurrence of Jefferson Davis), it was unacceptable in the wake of Lincoln's assassination, so they settled on a military surrender.

The Union didn't consider surrender by the government necessary because it believed the Confederate government was illegitimate.

9. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lee didn't have the forces left to retake Richmond; the Army of Northern Virginia was a shell after the months of siege. Johnston would have had to march his army to Virginia, a prospect that terrified the Carolinas, and even then Sherman's army was on his tail.

The Confederate armies in the west were practically nonexistent (thanks to Franklin and Nashville) and the rebels had no navy, so there was no way to reopen the Mississippi.

The only option — the one favored by Davis — was to disband the armies and embark on a guerrilla war. Both Johnston and Breckenridge rejected that option and decided to surrender the largest army still in the field (larger than Lee's, in fact).

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

That's funny----because I heard Mayberry's own Sheriff Taylor tell someone over the phone ---- and I quote ---- "Yes, M'am! We're still holdin' Richmond!!":thumbs::thumbs: :laugh::laugh:

Here is another direct quote I've read on a particular sign placement as I toured the Battle of Vicksburg memorial in Vicksburg, MS----and I quote ---- again ----- "The poor Yankees have us surrounded!!"

#10 blackbird, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
  11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, I guess when they packed their bags and ran for the hills.

12. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pretty much. William Davis has written an excellent account of the end of the Confederacy, An Honorable Defeat: The Last Days of the Confederate Government that details what the Confederate leaders did, including Johnston's and Breckenridge's plan to surrender en toto, as well as Jefferson Davis' attempt to move ever farther south to re-establish the government. Judah Benjamin, the secretary of state, was among the few to escape entirely and went to Britain, where he eventually was admitted to the bar.

13. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is perhaps the best reenactment of the Civil War in the nation at Columbus Belmont State Park each October.

14. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but we do celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday every year instead of MLK day.

15. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God willing.

16. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone ever been to the Civil War reenactment at Columbus-Belmont State Park in western KY?

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only Civil War reenactment I have seen in person was in Gettysburg, when I was there in summer, 2001. I was surprised how confederate the area around Gettysburg seemed to be. I saw a lot of rebel flags, and souvenir shops always appeared to have at least as many confederate items as union.

18. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to get up there one day. A while back, and it was obviously faked, I saw a video that showed ghostly figures dressed as union soldiers. Kind of gave me the creeps.

19. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but when I lived in Alabama, we used to go to them. My grandparents' farm butted up against a living history park called Tannehill, which was a foundry and armory for the Confederacy so they always had events and re-enactments there.

One of my grandparents' neighbors left a couple hundred acres to the park and when I was younger, we found a couple of relics.

When we lived in Maryland, we were close enough to both Manassas and Gettysburg that it was no trouble to make a day at either location. Went to all sorts of events at both.

20. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think they are fascinating. They even had some giving lessons on loading a musket.