1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The New NIV Compared With The TNIV And ESV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that clear?

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you get the picture?

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Snips

Again, I have gleaned the following data from Robert Slowley.

I will show where the 1984 NIV and TNIV wording is identical, but where the 2011 NIV differs. The 84/TNIV above and the 2011 edition below.

Gen.

2:25
    The man
    Adam
    3:5
    of it
    from it
    4:1
    mark seasons
    mark sacred times
    8:19
    on the earth
    on land
    9:3
    moves
    moves about
    15:5
    heavens
    sky
    17:26
    same day
    very day
    23:15
    me and you?
    you and me?
    24:14
    girl
    young woman
    31:28
    good-by
    goodbye
    25:11
    will come from your body
    will be among your descendants
    37:3
    ricly ornamented robe
    ornate robe
    38:30
    given the name
    named

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The basic question still comes down to , why so much inclusive renderings for gener issues though?

Why not keep that aspect same as 1984 edition had?

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy, you never interact with what I actually post. The old expression of "In one ear and out the other." doesn't even apply to you. It doesn't even enter your consciousness. That's the first step of the process for most people. Therefore you cannot retain what you have never actually read. You quote my posts and yet you register no sign of life.
    I have said this before. Is the 1984 NIV some kind of Gold Standard with you regarding inclusive language? Since the ESV and HCSB use more inclusive language than the 84 NIV --does that mean they do not measure-up to your standard of the proper level of inclusive language?

Is the NET Bible on your no-no list also? It registers with just a little less inclusive language than the 2011 NIV.

Since the NLT uses more inclusive renderings than the TNIV --does that make it liberal in your eyes?

The old Modern Language Bible of 1969 used more inclusive language than the present-day ESV. Has it crossed your line of acceptability? Just what is your line?

Too many questions for you to digest? Try line-by-line.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not stating here that the Niv 2011 is a bad translation, nor is the net bible, nor the HCSB etc,,,

Just was asking why the need to go so much into inclusive renderings, where there is really no valid support for revising such an amount from the 1984 edition?

In many ways, that version would still to be preferred over 2011 update...

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it such a problem for you to answer direct questions?
    It has a smidgeon more inclusive language than the NET Bible and about 15% less than the TNIV. Is the NET Bible worthy of your condemnation on that account?

I have asked you several times already --Is the 1984 NIV your Gold Standard when it comes to the amount of inclusive language you find acceptable? The ESV and HCSB use more inclusive language than does the 1984 NIV. Do you have a problem with that?
    I have gone over this innumerable times with you Mr. Wall. Do you still wish to claim amnesia?
    And I have asked you countless times to do your homework and specify why.

Your own words :"in many ways" --so get to work and itemize some of these "many ways."

#67 Rippon, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My "gold standard" as you state it in English versions would be the 1977 edition Nasb, but still also value the 1984 Niv/Esv/ and NKJV also....

Isn't it strange that in the new edition, went so much further in gender renderings than before?

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You ask the same questions over and over but don't have the capacity to answer clear questions.

The 1977 NASB has even less I.L. than the 1984 NIV. Is the 1984 NIV guilty in your eyes of going too soft on I.L.?

Should the ESV and HCSB scale-back their inclusive language renderings to the level of the 1984 NIV? Yes or no. Give reasons.
    You are strange.

The 2011 NIV scaled-back the inclusive renderings of the TNIV --about 15% less according to some. So the new edition lessened the amount of I.L. as compared with the prior edition --not more.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    was comparing their amount of renderings to what had been done in the 1984 edition of the NIV though, not Tniv....

There will never been an exact answer to how and when the gender renderings should be affected, but quite confident that the 1984 Niv is much closer to what was intended then the 2011 revision in this area...

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please answer the above.
    Do you acknowledge the truthfulness of the above?

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answer the above. Don't duck and hide.
    Please answer my questions. That's the purpose of a forum. Don't quote me and then turn around and not deal with what I have asked. Be honest and organized.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exodus

In the following snips the 1984 NIV and TNIV are the same. The 2011 differs.

The 84NIV/TNIV reading will be above and the 2011 reading below.

2:1
    house
    tribe

2:8
    and
    so

2:12
    glancing
    looking

6:3
    known
    fully known

12:43
    Passover
    Passover meal

12:45
    eat of it
    eat it

12:46
    one house
    the house

14:31
    great power
    mighty hand

15:25
    became sweet
    became fit to drink

18:12
    eat bread
    eat a meal

Yeah, that's been the rallying cry. I'm just giving you the raw data. The hue and cry has been a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the amount of inclusive language renderings in the 1984 Niv was the limit to what should be used in a translation, and while the Niv 2011 had less than the 2005 edition states nothing, as many panned that one as being a bad version!

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congrats! You have finally answered one of my questions without your normal evasive routine. The 1984 NIV is your Gold Standard --your line in the sand which should not be crossed with respect to the amount of inclusive language that is allowed in a Bible translation.

The question is: What about the ESV and HCSB? They both use more inclusive language than the 1984 NIV. They have crossed your line. So they must also be considered inferior to you in that regard. Remember, you need to be consistent.
    As I have told you repeatedly --your frequent use of the exclamation mark is absurd. You use it much too often after having said something of little significance.

Here is what some have said regarding the 2011 NIV:

Rod Decker :"Overall, however, it is an improvement of an otherwise fine translation."

Thomas P. Nass : "We believe that no other current translation would be a significant improvement over the NIV...When we apply the evaluative critera...we believe the NIV emerges as the better option."

Craig Blomberg : I am convinced that the updated NIV achieves the best combination of accuracy and clarity of meaning most frequently...the updated NIV seems to serve best the broadest cross-section of purposes and audiences."

16. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like my NIV 84. It is what I am used to. Plus, I'm too cheap to replace all of them :)

The NLT has WAY more inclusive language and nobody complains about. Not like the NIV11 anyway. The NIV84 "movement" is the new KJVO movement. It was a very, very popular translation. It is human nature to get upset when it changes. The most popular English translation in the world was changed....regardless f the changes. It was going to upset people.

I am still surprised the SBC speaks out against the NIV11 and not the NLT. Makes no sense. Maybe we want to promote the HCSB :) IDK.

I do like the HCSB by the way....not knocking it. It is slowing becoming a better translation with updates.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Use and like the HCSB, as it appears to be a more conservative version of the Niv translation....

Think also that the NLT is good for what it was translated for, in the sense of being the first bible for a new Christian, but would not stick to it as aprimary version afetr developing some bible time...

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please tell us how the NIV is more liberal than the NIV.

Do you also think the NKJV is more conservative than the HCSB?
    Consulting the NLT often would be a good idea for one who has been a Christian for a good number of years.

19. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I guess the NIV is exactly as liberal as the NIV(and conservative) :)

....you mean HCSB.....I know.

He maybe referring to the top comparison chart from the attached link. It does compare NIV84, not 2011 however.
    http://www.apbrown2.net/web/TranslationComparisonChart.htm

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do see the NKJV and the Nasb versions as both neing being formal and literal translations
    And the Nlt is best suited to be used for devotional, or else as a learner bible, but should also be using something more formal!