BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist Board.com Archives (read only) > 2005 Archive

2005 Archive 2005 Archive.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 05-11-2005, 03:01 PM
1,000 Posts Club

Arrow

[img]graemlins/type.gif[/img]

Can we as Christians, have communion at home? What does the scripture say?

I heard it being discussed this weekend, and wondered what the concensus would be here!!

Need scripture to back up your statement of course!!

Thanks,

Tam
Old 05-11-2005, 03:21 PM

Maybe under Church approval, the Pastor could go conduct a Communion service with shut ins who are not able to come to Church. I must emphasize this should be under local church authority since the Lord's Supper is a Church ordinance.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:58 PM
TaterTot

Thats my thinking, too. Its definitly a church ordinance, so it needs to be done within that context. Shutins, I can see doing that.

Weddings? no way unless the whole group is participating.

When we were in Resort Ministry, we would take our summer staff on the beach at night and have communion/worship there. It was really a highlight of each summer for me. But looking back, I am not sure if we'd do that again~ we were all part of the universal church, but not a local body of believers. Thats my rabbit to chase...
Old 05-11-2005, 04:20 PM
1,000 Posts Club

We're having a little bit of that debate here in the church where i am serving, and previously in the local association.

There are some dead set against doing the Lord's Supper in the home and believe that it should only be done in the confines of the church. It went so far that a research committee was put together by the association to come up with a resolution. In typical Southern Baptist fashion it was chalked up as a "priesthood of the believer" thing and left at that.

For me personally, i have performed it in the homes of shut-ins, and i will begin to offer it to the shut-ins at this church.
I have also been part of the Lord's Supper at a couples retreat where we took the Lord's Supper after renewing our vows. The more i think about, the more i really can't say i object to it.

It's a touchy situation for some, so i'm going to go with our Southern Baptist motto...chalk it up to "priesthood of the believer".
Old 05-11-2005, 04:33 PM
4,000 Posts Club

Send a message via MSN to JGrubbs
What about those of us who are part of the Church, the Body of Christ, and fellowship with others in our homes instead of going to an institutional church? I don't believe a Christian has to have the permission or covering of any "pastor" to observe the Lord's Supper, in fact I believe in observing the Lord's Suppoer on a weekly basis, not just once a month or once a quarter. Here are some great links about this topic:

Some Considerations Regarding the Lord's Supper Today
Lord's Supper: Feast or Famine?
Lord's Supper: How Often?
Lord's Supper Is Not a Sacrament
The Early Christian Meal - A Jewish Tradition
Weekly Observance of the Lord's Supper
Observing the Lord's Supper
Communion in the Early Centuries
Table of the Lord
Eating Together
Lord's Supper
Why Weekly Communion?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
4,000 Posts Club

Send a message via MSN to JGrubbs
Some traditional churches feel that only an ordained clergyman can officiate at the Lordís table. This is evidently a holdover from Roman Catholicism. The New Testament makes no so such requirements. Acts 20:7-12 describes the breaking of bread as taking place in the intimacy of an upper room of a private home.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:37 PM
2,000 Posts Club

I am not even sure why communing somebody at home would be a question. Why deny somebody the Body and Blood because of their physical location?

http://lutherama.blogspot.com

John 15:5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:47 PM
1,000 Posts Club

[img]graemlins/type.gif[/img]

My thoughts exactly. Some folks think that any born again Christian can have communion at home.

Jesus said do this in remembrance of me, but He set up no rules on the subject, so I think anyone can do it!

(JMOHO)

Tam

ALL THE TIME!!
Old 05-12-2005, 10:47 AM
violet

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemnitz:
I am not even sure why communing somebody at home would be a question. Why deny somebody the Body and Blood because of their physical location?
Grape juice and crackers are not the body and blood of Christ.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:45 AM
3,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally posted by violet:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Chemnitz:
Grape juice and crackers are not the body and blood of Christ. </font>[/QUOTE]No it's not...but they are sometimes used to "represent" the blood and the body. At least in the little Baptist church up the road from me thought the crackers and grape juice did a pretty good represetation of the supper. [img]graemlins/flower.gif[/img] Also as the case as a missionary in another country and some children there who were trying to escape being captured and seen they could not get away. They had nothing but the dirt on the ground but was lead to have communion. (I can't remember, but I think I heard this on James and Betty Robinson's "Life Today" although it was several years back.) But to make a long story short...they were delivered and lived to tell the story how God had saved them. [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]