BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Christian DEBATE Forums (All Christians) > Other Christian Denominations

Other Christian Denominations Debate other denominations' doctrines/beliefs here.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 12-29-2005, 12:46 PM

I was preaching at Wednesday nights service, we just have a little house church, and I made a comment as to Rev. 20:12 and 13

12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

To my understanding mankind saved or unsaved will be judged but at the end of the judgment God looks in the Book of Life and if our name is there we go to heaven if not we go to the Lake of Fire.

In my sermon Wednesday night I made the comment that we will be judged for the sins we have commited and that we would be judged according to our works and if we are not in the Book of Life we go to the Lake of Fire.

My mother stopped me and made the comment,
"What does the Bible say about your sin when you ask God to forgive you."

I said "God cast your sins into the sea of forgetfulness never to be brought up against you again."

I dont know how many times I have heard that saying but I cant find it in any version of the Bible.

If anyone has any info please let me know.

Rev. Jerry D. Lowery D.D.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:48 PM

BTW I told my mother to not ever do that again if she has a problem with what I preach bring it to me in private. I ask her if she would have done that to another preach at another church she said no I said then dont do it here.

Rev. Jerry D. Lowery D.D.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:30 PM
3,000 Posts Club

Rev Lowery,
I ran it through my bible verse finder and came up with nothing on the sea of forgetfulness.

But however found this........
Psa 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

BTW, good for Mom Lowrey! [img]graemlins/thumbs.gif[/img] She's keeping you on your toes! You will be better for it! BTW, when you spoke to her you did say that nicely, not all staunchly like you were better than her.... right?
1Cor.15:34
Old 12-29-2005, 01:33 PM
3,000 Posts Club

BTW, my Mom would say that about the sea of forgetfulness also.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:36 PM
3,000 Posts Club

Another search produced this!

Mic 7:19 He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.

Maybe this is where they get it from?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Banned

It's time to cast your mother into the sea of the nursing home, just kidding.

This is an area where it becomes necessary to divide between practical and positional, or however you would prefer to understand it. There is a sense in which, if we believe, our sins will not be remembered. At the great white throne, our sins will not be remembered against us but will have been pardoned, having been covered by the blood of Jesus, which is the blood of the new covenant. This, our final absolute positional justification and sanctification, would necessarily have to include all our sins, past-future, confessed or unconfessed, and I suppose you could make a nice analogy by saying that they will be cast into the sea of forgetfulness.

Confession of our sins, and repentence from them, doesn't have any bearing on our eternal fate at the great white throne, but bears directly on our present standing with the Lord and also our future standing at the judgment seat of Christ. In this area, sins will have direct and indirect consequences in this present life, and at the judgment seat will affect our state for the next thousand years during the millennial kingdom. We find that sin will cause us to be chastened of the Lord, can keep our prayers from being answered, and will generally rob us of our joy and peace with God.

So what happens when we confess these sins and ask God to forgive us? Do they disappear into the sea of forgetfulness? Not really. We will still have to reap the fruit of what we have sown (consequences of sin), perhaps even years later we may still find the evil seeds that we planted sprouting in our lives. We may find ourselves being chastened for the sins by God, even though we have confessed the sin and asked God to forgive us. Of course this all relates to this life, but what about the next?

1 John 1:9
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

At the judgment seat of Christ (not the great white throne, mind) believers will be brought before their Lord to give account for their works. At this time, it will be too late to confess our sins and ask for forgiveness, so anyone reading this, if you have some things you need to get straight with God, now is the time to do it. Anyway, Paul tells us that our works will be made manifest and we will be judged for them.

1 Corinthians 3:13-15
13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

We could well imagine what types of works would be burned. We should be putting every effort into living a holy life that would please our Lord, but we do realize that every man is going to stumble... So when we ask God to forgive us of those works, do they disappear into the sea of forgetfulness? Maybe.

God is willing to forgive us of these sins, but there are some caveats. (Once again, this is not in regard to our final standing with God at the great white throne, which can only be secured by faith in Jesus Christ and His perfect work on the cross.)

The first thing we must remember is that we must confess the sin and repent. You would think this was obvious, but some people miss this. Jesus is not going to wink at our sin at the judgment seat, we need to get it taken care of today. Confess it to the Lord, then stop doing it.

Then, we need to remember to forgive others. Jesus will forgive us if we ask Him to, but He expects us to do the same.

Matthew 18:32-35
32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellow servant, even as I had pity on thee?
34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

So, does God cast our sins into the sea of forgetfulness? Yes, no and maybe.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:23 PM

God clearly tells us that sins confessed and forgiven He will remember no more.
Isa 43:25 I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.

Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Reference this truth with Micah 7:19 and it very accurate to say that God throws our sins in the sea of His forgetfulness.

These sins are gone, never to be brought up by God again. We will not give account for these sins at the Judgment Seat of Christ; all of our sins were judged on the Cross of Calvary.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:26 PM
3,000 Posts Club

Thats all very well and good James_Newman, but where did the saying, "God cast your sins into the sea of forgetfulness never to be brought up against you again.", come from? It's not scripture.

I looked at scripture and don't find it anywhere. Other than the 2 scriptures I found. There is still but one scripture with the word forgetfulness and it isn't talking about casting sin into the sea.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:33 PM
3,000 Posts Club

Ok that helps somewhat Pastor_Bob. [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]

Funny ain't it...you grow up with your parent/elderly influences.... quoting a saying and you think its scripture until you go to look it up.

2Tim. 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by music4Him:
Thats all very well and good James_Newman, but where did the saying, "God cast your sins into the sea of forgetfulness never to be brought up against you again.", come from? It's not scripture.

I looked at scripture and don't find it anywhere. Other than the 2 scriptures I found. There is still but one scripture with the word forgetfulness and it isn't talking about casting sin into the sea.
Your right, it isn't scripture.