BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist Board.com Archives (read only) > 2003 Archive

2003 Archive 2003 Archive.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 08-08-2003, 12:56 PM
dianetavegia

Quote:
What you say leads to: a pastor can be a repentant liar, thief, adulterer even, but he cannot be a repentant divorcee. Now you have just invented the "second unpardonable sin!"
Let's discuss this remark. Can a divorced man be a pastor in YOUR church or a pastor to YOU?

Diane
Old 08-08-2003, 01:27 PM
20,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally posted by dianetavegia:
Can a divorced man be a pastor in YOUR church or a pastor to YOU?
Yes. unlike drunkenness and adultery, divorce is not a sin, unless done for sinful reasons.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:46 PM

At my church, we understand the Biblical qualification to exclude divorced individuals from holding the office of pastor or deacon.

I think a more interesting question is if a man marries a divorced woman, does that disqualify the man from holding those positions? For the purpose of the discussion, let's assume that the woman was innocent and divorced for Biblically allowed reasons.

Andy
Old 08-08-2003, 06:23 PM
8,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally posted by aefting:

I think a more interesting question is if a man marries a divorced woman, does that disqualify the man from holding those positions? For the purpose of the discussion, let's assume that the woman was innocent and divorced for Biblically allowed reasons.

Andy
That's the case with my pastor... and I still think it is an interesting question.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:53 PM
5,000 Posts Club

Diane, you know that glitch that I was telling you about , about when my "recent posts" list shows other peoples posts and not mine? Your post, is on my list.

I'll report it to the webmaster. Weird glitch.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:07 PM
dianetavegia

My church does not allow a divorced man or a man married to a divorced woman to be a pastor or a deacon. We feel scripture that says 'husband of one wife' (not one at a time) covers this qualification quite well.

Personal opinion... ONLY personal opinion... Except in the case of repeated patterns of unrepented adultery, I believe a Christian should forgive their spouse as commanded by Jesus. Someone has asked me if I would forgive 70 X's 7 and I'm not sure...... I cannot honestly answer that. Therefore, I do not believe in divorce.

Laurenda, that IS odd! I noticed today that 'Today's Active Topics' might have MY name on someone else's post but when you open the post it's correct. Glitch alright! LOL

Diane
Old 08-08-2003, 09:56 PM
20,000 Posts Club

At our church a man can not be divorced and be a deacon or pastor. I really don't know about the wife, an issue like that has not come up.

I've been seeing that weird posting stuff too.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:22 PM
15,000 Posts Club

God used Moses to lead His people and he muredered a man. David was used by God and he coveted another man's wife and had her husband killed. Peter cut off a man ear. Paul persecuted believers and I would assume that meant killing them also.

Nicky Cruz was a gang member. He wrote the book Run Baby Run. We have loads of examples of men who have done things that would cause any of us to cringe. Yet God used all of them to lead people for His glory in spite of their past.

God does care so much where we have been but where are we going.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:09 AM

I agree that God can use anybody. Just because someone does not meet the Biblical qualifications for a pastor or deacon doesn't mean that God can't use him in another area of ministry.

Andy
Old 08-09-2003, 09:23 AM
dianetavegia

I agree Andy! God can use these men in many ways but they do not fit the scriptural qualifications of 'husband of one wife' so therefore cannot be a pastor or deacon.

However, I have heard some wonderful traveling evangelist who testify of what they were and what they are now that they have met Jesus! Wonderful testimonies but they don't pastor churches.

Our minister of music in our church is divorced. This happened way before we moved here. His wife was unable to have children (not sure if it was him or her) and she decided she no longer wanted to be married. She left him and divorced him. He has never dated or remarried (because of scripture) and neither has she. The church voted to allow him to stay. He NEVER preaches or teaches. He'll be retiring soon.

Diane