BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist Board.com Archives (read only) > 2003 Archive

2003 Archive 2003 Archive.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 12-28-2002, 10:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to John Miller
Talking

I wasn't sure which discussion to post this at but I guess this one will be fine.

What is the main difference between the Conservative Southern Baptist Churches and some of your Fundamental Baptist Churches? I know this is a pretty broad question, but I attend a Fundamental Baptist Church and here recently there have been alot of questions raised as to some of their beliefs and actions. I believe the Bible as to its innerancy and I believe that the Bible means exactly what it says without any additions like alot of fundys try to add to it. Also it seems that is a number of fundy churches that there is a lack of local, community outreach, whereas the Southern Baptists seem to do alot with community outreach.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,
Old 12-28-2002, 12:30 PM
7,000 posts club

The short answer is "nothing," except that SBC churches contribute to the Cooperative Program for missions.

As to doctrine and practice, there are any number of SBC churches that are "fundamentalist."

Trying to pin down what an average SBCer believes is like nailing Jell-O to the wall.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:12 PM
1,000 Posts Club

SBC is organzed. FBC are independent.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:36 PM
7,000 posts club

I take it you haven't been SBC.

Despite the recent unpleasantness, keeping track of SBCers is like herding cats.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:05 PM
jimslade

In Canada we have Fellowship Baptists and Independant Baptists.

Some of either of them are a few bricks short of a load.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:54 AM

The fundamentalist-modernist controversy of the early 1920s had a specific and distinct effect on Baptists in the south. At the outset of the controversy, SBC churches and fundamental churches were one and the same. The fundamentalist-modernist controversy sparked different responses in baptists. Many in the SBC were slow to understand the impact that liberalism would have in the seminaries and they were reluctant to institute a purge of liberalism. They remained in the SBC and tolerated liberalism in the seminaries. Fundamentalists decided that staying in the convention amounted to compromise with liberalism. They applied the command to "come out from among them and be ye seperate" to the issue. Fundamental churches left the SBC. The movement to leave was lead by fundamentalists like J.Frank Norris, John R. Rice, and others.

But a funny thing happened in the SBC. While other denominations which tolerated liberalism (Methodists, Presbyterians, Northern Baptists, for example) lost the denomination to liberalism, conservatives in the SBC remained a cogent force. In the 70s, SBC conservatives began to implement a strategic plan to take back the SBC from liberals.

Meanwhile, fundamental churches in the south prospered. Led by two wings of fundamentalism: one led by Bob Jones University and the other by Tennessee Temple University and the influence of the Sword of the Lord newspaper, large fundamental churches sprang up in the south, and pulpits were filled by Bible College grads. By the 70's, fundamentalism was prospering.

Today, the seperate paths the two have taken seem to be merging in some ways. Some fundamentalist leaders are pretty free in having SBC speakers in their pulpit (though I am not sure that freedom runs in the other direction). And of course, Jerry Falwell has alliances with both.

Will the two ever merge completely? There are reasons not to. Both have their own schools. And there is quite a distinction in the way fundamentalists do missions compared to the way SBCers do it. While I think that there may be increasing cooperation between the two, there are differences between the two that are more than superficial and a merger is not likely.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:01 AM

As a conservative SBC'er, I hope that FBC types will be careful of merging--for their own sake. There still remains a lot of liberalism within the SBC, judging from the editorial stances of the Alabama Baptist Convention's organ, The Alabama Baptist, and I presume that liberal infuences haven't been entirely purged from Baptist seminaries and certainly not from Baptist colleges.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:23 AM

Cool

There is still some distance between the SBC and independent fundamental Baptists. House cleaning the convention of all liberalism from the churches, schools and other institutions is a lengthy and maybe impossible task.

The fundamentalists have taken two key stands that the SBCs need to take or are in the midst of taking. They have chosen separation rather than inclusion and compromise. The FBF, GARBC, CBA and other individual churches paid a real price to leave the conventions, both north and south and have carved out a biblical ministry based on separatism (CBAs no longer are though they once did).

The second stand is that of getting out of a controlling convention and allowing the churches full freedom of independence. [img]graemlins/thumbs.gif[/img] The SBC has kept close control over the churches in various ways, and in some cases interfered in church autonomy. If the SBC would dismantle the convention and allow the states to have loose associational fellowships they might be on the road to being where the indepedents came to be in the middle of the past century.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:28 PM
3,000 Posts Club

CircuitRider - Give me some examples of how the Southern Baptist Convention tries to control local churches.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:16 PM
8,000 Posts Club

From different discussions, it would appear that the Fundamentalist Baptist, do not accept Spiritual Gifts, while it may be possible (im not sure) in a SBC to be prayed for healing.