BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist Board.com Archives (read only) > 2003 Archive

2003 Archive 2003 Archive.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 07-09-2003, 08:00 PM

Smile

I've been reading a lot of posts regarding a woman not wearing costly apparel from this verse:

1 Timothy 2:9
In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

I was wondering about the rest of the verse. Is is a sin to wear jewelry and to braid the hair?

I believe it taking the Bible literally, but the key to all Scripture is moderation. Why would the Lord give us pearls and gold if we are not to enjoy them?

What are YOUR thoughts?

hsmom3 [img]graemlins/type.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2003, 09:17 PM
1,000 Posts Club

Of course you probably knew how I would answer this one. I do not:

Wear gold.
Wear pearls.
Costly Array.

or Broid my hair. Broiding is interwoven with ribbons in my understanding.

I do try to be shamefaced and sober as well.

Shamefaced now that would probably make a good thread too.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:47 PM
dianetavegia

shameˇfaced adjective

1. showing shame: showing a feeling of shame or embarrassment

2. timid: timid or easily embarrassed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That would be a good topic. Can someone who has lived a sinful lifestyle then become shamefaced after conversion? Can they be embarrassed at the very mention of something they once did without thought?

Hmmmm........ Good idea for a thread. One to ponder.

Diane
Old 07-09-2003, 10:55 PM
dianetavegia

And the streets of heaven will be paved in gold. Solomon had so much gold it was as common as stones.....

I wear a gold cross necklace and gold wedding rings with one diamond and two small emeralds. I have a gold charm bracelet with little trinkets that stand for new grandbabies, etc. and wear whatever earrings match my clothes. I do not broid my short hair and I don't waste money on costly clothes, but buy when I need things only.

I also wear make-up, color my hair, wear dresses that fit me well, wear panty hose and heels, keep my weight at close to marriage weight (I weighed 89 lbs when I married so I'm very happy to have gained to 114 lbs.) I smile ALL the time because I have such joy in the Lord!

I have had my new vehicle since Nov. and my husband has used it for several business trips out of state because he needed the room. It now has almost 7,000 miles on it. I went to Wal-Mart tonight for the first time in weeks. I go to church and the library. I love being at home.

So..... now you know.
Diane
Old 07-09-2003, 11:06 PM
20,000 Posts Club

Broided also means plaited, both old words,plaited is still used here, both mean braided hair.
2Tim. 2: 9in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair...
NKJ
Old 07-09-2003, 11:15 PM
dianetavegia

QUESTION: TIMOTHY said:
Quote:
I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting;

9 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, 10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works. 11 Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. 12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.
Quote:
Jamieson, Fausset, Brown

8. I will--The active wish, or desire, is meant.
that men--rather as Greek, "that the men," as distinguished from "the women," to whom he has something different to say from what he said to the men (1 Timothy 2:9-12, 1 Corinthians 11:14,15, 14:34,35). The emphasis, however, is not on this, but on the precept of praying, resumed from 1 Timothy 2:1.
everywhere--Greek, "in every place," namely, of public prayer. Fulfilling Malachi 1:11, "In every place . . . from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same . . . incense shall be offered unto My name"; and Jesus' words, Matthew 18:20, John 4:21,23.
lifting up holy hands--The early Christians turned up their palms towards heaven, as those craving help do. So also Solomon (1 Kings 8:22, Psalms 141:2). The Jews washed their hands before prayer (Psalms 26:6). Paul figuratively (compare Job 17:9, 4:8) uses language alluding to this custom here: so Isaiah 1:15,16. The Greek for "holy" means hands which have committed no impiety, and observed every sacred duty. This (or at least the contrite desire to be so) is a needful qualification for effectual prayer (Psalms 24:3,4).
without wrath--putting it away (Matthew 5:23,24, 6:15).
doubting--rather, "disputing," as the Greek is translated in Philippians 2:14. Such things hinder prayer (Luke 9:46, Romans 14:1, 1 Peter 3:7). BENGEL supports English Version (compare an instance, 2 Kings 7:2, Matthew 14:31, 11:22-24, 1:6).

9, 10. The context requires that we understand these directions as to women, in relation to their deportment in public worship, though the rules will hold good on other occasions also.
in modest apparel--"in seemly guise" [ELLICOTT]. The adjective means properly. orderly, decorous, becoming; the noun in secular writings means conduct, bearing. But here "apparel." Women are apt to love fine dress; and at Ephesus the riches of some (1 Timothy 6:17) would lead them to dress luxuriously. The Greek in Titus 2:3 is a more general term meaning "deportment."
shamefacedness--TRENCH spells this word according to its true derivation, "shamefastness" (that which is made fast by an honorable shame); as "steadfastness" (compare 1 Timothy 2:11,12).
sobriety--"self-restraint" [ALFORD]. Habitual inner self-government [TRENCH]. I prefer ELLICOTT'S translation, "sober-mindedness": the well-balanced state of mind arising from habitual self-restraint.
with--Greek, "in."
braided hair--literally, "plaits," that is, plaited hair: probably with the "gold and pearls" intertwined (1 Peter 3:3). Such gaud is characteristic of the spiritual harlot (Revelation 17:4).
Old 07-09-2003, 11:21 PM

Smile

I think common sense says that this verse does not mean that pearls and gold, etc. are banned, but that they should not be the MAIN purpose or focus of a godly woman...that they should not be the adornment of the woman, but the godly, submissive spirit. People should not remember us for our jewels, etc, but for the joy of Jesus and our godly spirit.

About shamefacedness...what do you ladies think that means? Surely the Lord doesn't want us to run around with sad faces? Why then would the world want Jesus if we look so miserable? I think it means a humble spirit. I think we are to have discretion and know when to be serious and to have laughter. We do need to never forget about the souls that are lost and need Jesus and to keep that in our hearts and thoughts.

I Peter 3:3-4 is a parallel passage:
Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

According to this Scripture, it is a sin to even put on apparel, but we KNOW the Lord doesn't want us naked.

hsmom3 [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2003, 11:34 PM
20,000 Posts Club

Peter did not have a problem with women wearing gold, or braided hair. So you must take 2Tim. 2 and 1 Pet. 3 and reconcile them, or accept that they give two different instructions. Something I've noticed people who insist women wear or not wear something do not take all the bible has to say on the subject, but choose verse they want to mean what they want.

I think the key to what a woman wears is in verse 4, this is how a woman should judge what she herself wears.

4 rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God

1Pet3:
3Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel—4rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God. 5For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands, 6as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, whose daughters you are if you do good and are not afraid with any terror. NKJ

1Pet3:
3Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaitingG1708 the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel KJV

G1708
elaborate braiding of the hair:—plaiting
Old 07-10-2003, 12:10 AM

I don't think these verses mean that we are not to wear ANY gold, pearls, or costly array, but rather that those should not be our identifying marks. As women professing godliness, our identifying marks should be modest apparel, shamefacedness, sobriety, and good works. These things don't draw attention to ourselves as excessive jewelry or expensive clothes would. Our most outstanding feature should be that we are godly women, not what outrageous thing we are wearing today.

By personal conviction, I wear dresses only; but the term "modest" in context here is related more to what is decorous or proper. I feel that, in almost every situation, a dress or skirt is proper for me to wear, but there are times when certain dresses are more suited to the occasion. For example, I don't normally wear my denim skirts, cotton tops, and sandals to a church service, but I would wear those to a picnic. I fix my hair differently for different things too, and I wear certain jewelry based on what activity I'm doing.

Susan
Old 07-10-2003, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bob
Cool

Amish would be big on this issue. No jewelry, hair fixin, and no "costly" clothes. Just simple homespun dresses.

Now do we consider them MORE SPIRITUAL than we are? Or do we just look at them as extreme?

And how does the unsaved world see US with our silly coulottes or anti-pierced ears or necktie (when it's 100 degrees) or . . well, you fill in the blank.