BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist Board.com Archives (read only) > 2004 Archive

2004 Archive 2004 Archive.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 02-13-2004, 02:48 PM

Question

Okay, I guess I'm just not too enlightened about this, but what is the difference in theology between Baptists and Church of Christ'ers??? It seems to be very prevalent in Texas and they are such fine people...what makes them go to their churches and us go to ours instead???
Old 02-13-2004, 03:31 PM
2,000 Posts Club

Send a message via AIM to Debby in Philly
I found this on their website:

Churches of Christ - who are we?

Looks like they only sing a capella, and include baptism in the list of salvation requirements. Or at least that's what I get out of it.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:31 PM

The rumor is that the first "Church of Christ"
was founded by a local Baptist church
that read it's Bible. They noted that
the Bible teaches the church could be
called the "Church of Christ". So they
forumlated a doctrine that only members
of the Church of Christ are saved.
So the Baptists that they were are all
lost. Well, i've got a problem with those
who say i'm lost, cause i'm saved.
So i quit speaking to them and they quit
speaking to me. And i'm married to
a Church Organist and the New Testament doesn't
say nothing about insturments so they
don't have them in their church.
Well, strain at a knat and swollow a camel,
the Bible doesn't mention getting your
Dodge Pick-up on a four-lane highway
and driving to church, so I'm a thinking
that all athe CoC's that do that are
overlooking something

There are, of course, several groups
known as the Church of Christ who
disfellowshiped each other. Sigh!

[img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2004, 03:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dina
My *limited* exposure to the Church of Christ is that they are based on Acts.

From Acts they got the idea that Baptism is fundamental to salvation.

Had a friend who was very big into the CoC, he invited DH and I to a revival they had in Dallas when we were living there. Disagreed with that core belief, but came out of the revival with a great play called Upside Down.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:06 AM
30,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Debby in Philly:
Looks like they only sing a capella, and include baptism in the list of salvation requirements.
Also, as an ex-Church of Christ member I will add that they have the Lord's Supper each Sunday, must have a plurality of elders, the minister is under the oversight of the eldership, only men can be elders, deacons, or ministers.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:28 PM
7,000 posts club

The Church of Christ originated in the Campbell-Stone movement of the early 19th century. Both of the founders were of Presbyterian stock, but the movement rejected denominationalism and sought to return to the example of the New Testament Church.

Alexander Campbell was, for a short time, a Baptist and recieved baptism by a Baptist. But the union was contentious; it split apart many Baptist associations and churches and led to a lasting bitterness that is still with us.

The movement eventually split into three parts: the Disciples of Christ (which maintains the ecumenical outlook of the movement), the Christian Church and the Churches of Christ (which are the movement's nominal equivalent of the Primitive Baptists.)

Generalizing about the Church of Christ can be a bit dangerous. At one time, the CoC had no paid pastors and had only a capella music. They also held to a form of baptismal regeneration, and I have known some to hold to a sacramental view of the Lord's Supper which is valid only if taken with a single cup.

Today there are many churches that adhere to the traditional model, but some churches have adopted paid staff and instrumental music and have rejected baptismal regeneration and are, well, almost Arminian Baptists. (Calvinism was never a part of the Stone-Campbell Restoration movement, which set them apart from Baptists.)

Max Lucado's Oak Hills Church in San Antonio is a prime example.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:20 AM

Cool

My sister is involved in a CoC and they have instrumental music and such, but their Pastor is very uninspiring in his delivery.

She also believes our family is not saved because our baptisms were not done with the right reason and understanding. She was raised in a Baptist denomination, but then became a troubled teen and a run away. After getting her into a Christian boarding home, things got better, but she then discovered and adhered to CoC.

When questioned about salvation being a requirement for salvation, she says that it is not, but that one is also unabled to be saved uless they are baptised with the proper understanding of baptism's place. Her statement makes no sense to me and sounds like double-talk, yet she is conviced in her spirit that she is the only family member who has been "properly" baptised, and the rest of our family is damned.

Perhaps someone can help me better understand how baptism is not required, yet one can not be a saved Christian without being "properly" baptised? Is this some different branch of the CoC, or is she also not really understanding their doctrine?
Old 02-16-2004, 12:32 AM
15,000 Posts Club

Some of the former First Baptist Churchs are now Church of Christ churches. Max Lucado's church is Church of Christ. The pastor of the GARB church where I live is liberal. The pastor interprets correctly but preaches the Bible as myth. Nowadays within denominations there can be quite a variety. I would tend to take a look at the specific church.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:55 PM

My wife grew-up C-squared (Church of Christ) and I grew up Southern Baptist.

Because of here family, I have attended quite a few CC services, but she moved to being a Baptist just before we got married about 12 years ago.

I will comment that CC are far and away most closely to Baptists churches than any other denomination I have been around, both in style of service and doctrines. If you are baptist, and you go to a CC, you won't feel akward or out of place.

That being said,
Here are the things I have noticed as difference.

1) No Music Instruments- all accapello
(Except the Song Leader gets to 'toot' in a harmonic before each song)

No big deal difference, just a 'tradition' of worship style.

2) CC take the Lord's Supper more often than Baptists. (Again, no big-deal here either)

3) CC generally believe that physical water baptism is a required action that must be taken before salvation can occur. They trouble over the theif on the cross and bed-ridden 11th hour salvation and stuff like that in regards to baptism.

This is one of the bigger deals, because it leads to the 'works based' salvation arguement where some believe CC 'must' do water baptism to be saved; and Baptist agree one should, but in some cases it isn't possible and its ok.

4) CC will do the baptism immediately following an invitation where someone has gone forward; baptists will sometimes put it off a few weeks for various reasons.

Not that big a deal.

5) Fall from Grace aka Lose your Salvation. Some CC really are strict on the idea that you must always be asking repentance and seeking to do good works; or you could fall away and lose your salvation. Baptists generally believe that once true salvation is received; it won't get lost...this gets into the OSAS debate; and how falling away verses being saved in the first place get defined.

From my memory, those 5 things are the predominate differences, and most of them are petty; while some can get pretty heated.

Someone above mentioned their organization structure, but again, it isn't much different than baptists. They seem to go the 'elder' route, where baptists tends to stick everyone on a committee.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:56 PM

My wife grew-up C-squared (Church of Christ) and I grew up Southern Baptist.

Because of here family, I have attended quite a few CC services, but she moved to being a Baptist just before we got married about 12 years ago.

I will comment that CC are far and away most closely to Baptists churches than any other denomination I have been around, both in style of service and doctrines. If you are baptist, and you go to a CC, you won't feel akward or out of place.

That being said,
Here are the things I have noticed as difference.

1) No Music Instruments- all accapello
(Except the Song Leader gets to 'toot' in a harmonic before each song)

No big deal difference, just a 'tradition' of worship style.

2) CC take the Lord's Supper more often than Baptists. (Again, no big-deal here either)

3) CC generally believe that physical water baptism is a required action that must be taken before salvation can occur. They trouble over the theif on the cross and bed-ridden 11th hour salvation and stuff like that in regards to baptism.

This is one of the bigger deals, because it leads to the 'works based' salvation arguement where some believe CC 'must' do water baptism to be saved; and Baptist agree one should, but in some cases it isn't possible and its ok.

4) CC will do the baptism immediately following an invitation where someone has gone forward; baptists will sometimes put it off a few weeks for various reasons.

Not that big a deal.

5) Fall from Grace aka Lose your Salvation. Some CC really are strict on the idea that you must always be asking repentance and seeking to do good works; or you could fall away and lose your salvation. Baptists generally believe that once true salvation is received; it won't get lost...this gets into the OSAS debate; and how falling away verses being saved in the first place get defined.

From my memory, those 5 things are the predominate differences, and most of them are petty; while some can get pretty heated.

Someone above mentioned their organization structure, but again, it isn't much different than baptists. They seem to go the 'elder' route, where baptists tends to stick everyone on a committee.

Hope this helps.