BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist Board.com Archives (read only) > 2004 Archive

2004 Archive 2004 Archive.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 08-23-2004, 07:21 AM
2,000 Posts Club

Here is a link to the letter by Joy Rice Martin published by Jerry Falwell in the National Liberty Journal:

http://www.nljonline.com/june_july04/johnrrice.html

Dr. Rice was a huge influence on me when I was a young man and I share his families misgivings about Dr. Smith and the current direction of The Sword of the Lord.

To quote the letter Joy said that she and her sisters felt compelled to write for three reasons:

Quote:
First, we want to make clear that the current position of the Sword does not represent either historic fundamentalism or its founder's intention; second, we want to clarify what was our dad's (Dr. Rice's) position on separation; and finally, we desire to encourage both Christian leaders and laypeople to pursue Scriptural fellowship and harmony among Bible believers.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:27 PM

God Bless Joy Rice.I'm with her. I think Dr.Smith hijacked the Sword of The Lord.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:52 PM

All of the reading I have done ref. John Rice leads me to believe he would not like what is going on at the "Sword of the Lord."
He was not a KJVO as is the leadership now but he was a strong Christian never compromising
his Christian beliefs. I believe it is allways a challange not to fall to one side or the other as we see the KJVO and the Neo Evangelical's like Graham, Colson, Warren ect. who have bowed down and comprimised.

Bob C
Old 08-23-2004, 04:58 PM

I know for a fact living here in Murfreesboro that the Rice family hates what is going on with the Sword of the Lord. Not to defame anyone, but Dr. Smith is not all he's cracked up to be. We used to live right around the corner from the Sword, and for a short time attended Franklin Road Baptist Church. I've also attended the church of the late Dr. Curtis Hutson's (former editor of the Sword until his death) son, Dr. Tony Hutson. Both Curtis Hutson and Shelton Smith have turned the Sword into a rag to attack anyone they did not agree with, Dr. Smith doing so more than Dr. Hutson. I go to church with one of Dr. Rice's granddaughters, and she isn't happy at all with what is happening. She says her grandfather would turn over in his grave if he knew what had happened to the Sword.

AVL1984
Old 08-24-2004, 02:26 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bob
This is not "new" news, but it is a reflection on the sad drift of a once good newspaper.

Now it is good for bird cages. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] (Seriously, there still are many good things about the Sword [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Old 08-24-2004, 07:24 AM
2,000 Posts Club

There is a pattern here that we see in all aspects of life.
Quote:
Ecclesiastes 1:4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: . . .

Ecclesiastes 1:11 There is no remembrance of former things . . .

Ecclesiastes 2:18-21 Yea, I hated all my labour which I had taken under the sun: because I should leave it unto the man that shall be after me. And who knoweth whether he shall be a wise man or a fool? yet shall he have rule over all my labour wherein I have laboured, and wherein I have shewed myself wise under the sun. This is also vanity. Therefore I went about to cause my heart to despair of all the labour which I took under the sun. For there is a man whose labour is in wisdom, and in knowledge, and in equity; yet to a man that hath not laboured therein shall he leave it for his portion. This also is vanity and a great evil.
There is nothing we can build as men that will last; for what one generation builds, the next consumes.

Kind of depressing if you think about it.

At least we have a God who is capable of building things that will be eternal.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Pastor KevinR
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by AVL1984:
I know for a fact living here in Murfreesboro that the Rice family hates what is going on with the Sword of the Lord. Not to defame anyone, but Dr. Smith is not all he's cracked up to be. We used to live right around the corner from the Sword, and for a short time attended Franklin Road Baptist Church. I've also attended the church of the late Dr. Curtis Hutson's (former editor of the Sword until his death) son, Dr. Tony Hutson. Both Curtis Hutson and Shelton Smith have turned the Sword into a rag to attack anyone they did not agree with, Dr. Smith doing so more than Dr. Hutson. I go to church with one of Dr. Rice's granddaughters, and she isn't happy at all with what is happening. She says her grandfather would turn over in his grave if he knew what had happened to the Sword.

AVL1984
I've been recieving the Sword since around 1980, and still rec it, although I've been dismayed w/ the direction it has gone. S. Smith spoke at the KJVO school in Haines City, FL, and I'm sure the Dr Rice would disapprove of that.
I read the same article in the Biblical Evangelist, and it's sad to see, as the other poster put it, that Dr Smith has indeed "hijacked" the Sword.
One of S. Smith's preacher boys has taken a church over on Long Island and is in the process of running it into the ground. In a recent issue of the Sword Dr Smith wrote how well he was rec'd when he spoke there in July, which simply wasn't true, acc to a deacon friend, who attends that very church!
I found out a few weeks ago that my former Pastor is on their staff now, and he writes articles for them on Soul Winning. I was surprised that he joined them because he took a similar stand when he was my Pastor in the 70's (Louisville)that J.R.Rice took. I have great respect and love for him and wish him all the best, but personally, I wish he hadn't joined them. If he feels God called him, I leave it in God's hand and my former Pastor has the soul liberty to chose that direction. BTW, he's the Pastor Emeritus of Franklin Rd BC....sorry to ramble....
Old 08-24-2004, 04:30 PM

I really like the pastor Emeritus of FRBC. I like Dr. Norris, the Sr. Pastor, too. I didn't like the "battle lines" I saw there, though. Most attending there will not acknowledge there are any cliques or battle lines drawn, but just sitting through several of their services one can see them. Bill Rice Ranch people group with their own, Sword people do the same, and then those who don't fit into either group are for the most part left to bounce back and forth or take a side. Dr. Norris does try to keep a handle any advent of trouble, and I believe he does an excellent job.
As far as the Sword, I will get it every now and again if I visit an IFB church. Most SBC churches here do not carry it, as they are constantly belittled by S. Smith and practically looked upon as heretics.

AVL1984
Old 08-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Banned

WOW!! The Rice sisters have joined a good one with Falwell!! I have not received the Sword for many years but am going to subscribe immediately. Keep on STANDING Dr. Smith!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bob
Why on earth would you post that, Shiloh? Give us some insights into your thinking, since most see the Sword as sliding deeper and deeper into an abyss.

No, I will not "jump" you. Want to know. Thanks

www.sovereigngracechurch.com
www.grif.net

"Why do bad things happen to good people?
That only happened once, and He volunteered
."