BaptistBoard.com  
     

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container
 
Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > Baptist Theology & Bible Study

Baptist Theology & Bible Study General discussion of Baptist theology

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 06-14-2006, 04:25 PM
PastorSBC1303 PastorSBC1303 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 15,125
Default

mima, you are a he? Here all this time I thought you was a she. I'm sorry. I guess I should pay closer attention.

(interesting experieince, btw)
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 06-14-2006, 04:28 PM
TaterTot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I was suprised to find that you are a he, too, back a few months ago when I figured it out, lol. That is an interesting experience. Who knows...?
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 06-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Sister Robin Sister Robin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterTot
Sista, I am glad you have had a neat prayer experience. But my question would be - did you base your experience on scripture or do you find scriptures to support your experience?
I went to a church once for while where the prayer language was encouraged (and taught). I prayed to receive it if there was something I was missing. I did not receive it. And I dont say that it cannot happen, and I do believe you are telling the truth. But what is the purpose of it? You had already been praying quietly as you stated. Why would the Spirit need to pray to Himself words that even you didnt know he was praying?
(PS, I dont mind being put on the spot, lol, and I do appreciate your kind spirit.)
Well see, that's just it. I had a great walk/prayer life before this happened. But some pentacostal friends kept telling me there was "more". When this happened, I was in an AOG church at Myrtle Beach, and just figured okay, this must be real and I'd been wrong about it all before. But since then... does it edify me? No. I can turn it off and on like a faucet. I can sit and do it for hours... but nothing has been more powerful or meaningful for me than those hours that I know what I'm praying about, or when I just sit in silent worship... if that makes any sense. raise:

I mean no disrespect to anyone and certainly not to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. But now I've got this thing... and for what? I stopped praying that way, and haven't noticed any changes in my prayer/spiritual life. I don't feel like I've moved away from God or anything.

I know I'm not making it up consciously. And nobody "taught" me what to say. I know I'm not possessed either. But I do wonder now about how the psychological side of this stuff works... it WAS a rather emotional service. Did I just get all worked up emotionally and this happened? Like I said though, after that first time, I can use it now at will.

????????
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 06-14-2006, 11:27 PM
TaterTot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hmm, Sister Robin. That is very interesting to me. I appreciate your honesty about your experience. I will ponder on that.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 06-14-2006, 11:38 PM
LeBuick's Avatar
LeBuick LeBuick is offline
10,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Aurora
Posts: 11,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterTot
I was suprised to find that you are a he, too, back a few months ago when I figured it out, lol. That is an interesting experience. Who knows...?
I stopped trying to tell after I called you Brother. Now you've changed your picture so I can't see your beard
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 06-15-2006, 12:43 AM
cindig2 cindig2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: missouri
Posts: 70
Default

Pastor SBC,
Which of the pastors that I mention have a private prayer language? I have cd's about the subject from John MacArthur, David Jeremiah and Charles Stanley (who was saved in a Pentecostal Church, and his grandfather was the preacher). Which of them believe in tongues, or a private prayer language,Billy Graham, Charles Swindoll, D.L. Moody or Billy Sunday?

Why would the word tongues in the Bible have a different meaning in I Corinthians, than it did in Acts?
The word "edification" means "build up". Do you agree that that is what we are suppose to do, build ourselves up?

I would never go by anyone's experience. My hero Pastor Adrian Rogers says, "Your emotions are your most shallow part of your being, God is not going to do His deepest work in your most shallow part.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 06-15-2006, 01:18 AM
cindig2 cindig2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: missouri
Posts: 70
Default

I found this from a sermon by John Piper. "To pray in the Holy Spirit is the moving and guiding power. "The key words here are "moving" and "guiding." "In other words, when you pray in the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God is "moving" you to pray. That is, he is the one who motivates and enables and eregizes your prayer."
"And when you pray in the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God is "guiding" how you pray and what your pray for. So, to pray in the Holy Spirit is to be moved and guided by the Holy Spirit in prayer. We pray by His power and according to His direction."

"The first thing to notice is the very close parallel passage in Ephesians 6:18, where Paul says, "With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit." The reason this is important is that is shows that "praying in the Spirit" is NOT a special form of prayer-like speaking in tongues. We can tell this is so because Paul says in Ephesians 6:18 that we should pray "at all times" in the Spirit. In other words, all prayer should be "in the Spirit." Praying in the Holy Spirit is not one form among several. It is the way all prayer is to be offered."
John Piper
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 06-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Gershom's Avatar
Gershom Gershom is offline
2,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: -
Posts: 2,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindig2
I found this from a sermon by John Piper. "To pray in the Holy Spirit is the moving and guiding power. "The key words here are "moving" and "guiding." "In other words, when you pray in the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God is "moving" you to pray. That is, he is the one who motivates and enables and eregizes your prayer."
"And when you pray in the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God is "guiding" how you pray and what your pray for. So, to pray in the Holy Spirit is to be moved and guided by the Holy Spirit in prayer. We pray by His power and according to His direction."

"The first thing to notice is the very close parallel passage in Ephesians 6:18, where Paul says, "With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit." The reason this is important is that is shows that "praying in the Spirit" is NOT a special form of prayer-like speaking in tongues. We can tell this is so because Paul says in Ephesians 6:18 that we should pray "at all times" in the Spirit. In other words, all prayer should be "in the Spirit." Praying in the Holy Spirit is not one form among several. It is the way all prayer is to be offered."
John Piper

27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Can you explain what the instructions mean here?
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 06-15-2006, 10:50 AM
PastorSBC1303 PastorSBC1303 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 15,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindig2
Pastor SBC,
Which of the pastors that I mention have a private prayer language? I have cd's about the subject from John MacArthur, David Jeremiah and Charles Stanley (who was saved in a Pentecostal Church, and his grandfather was the preacher). Which of them believe in tongues, or a private prayer language,Billy Graham, Charles Swindoll, D.L. Moody or Billy Sunday?

Why would the word tongues in the Bible have a different meaning in I Corinthians, than it did in Acts?
The word "edification" means "build up". Do you agree that that is what we are suppose to do, build ourselves up?

I would never go by anyone's experience. My hero Pastor Adrian Rogers says, "Your emotions are your most shallow part of your being, God is not going to do His deepest work in your most shallow part.
I think maybe you have misunderstood me on this thread. I am not saying that any of these pastors has a private prayer language. I am not saying I have a private prayer language or want a private prayer language. I am perfectly happy with the times of prayer I have with the Lord using words that I completely understand.

My whole point in this discussion is that the things of God are much bigger and deeper than we can fully understand. And I would venture to say each of the pastors you mentioned would agree with that statement to some level.

Scripture is and forever will be our final authority. Experience never trumps Scripture. However, I think we should be honest enough with experiences and with Scripture to wrestle with such things instead of just dismissing them because we do not completely understand them or we have a bad taste in our mouth from the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement.

I think we as "baptists" have becomes so afraid of associating ourselves with that movement that we do not fully understand the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Do I have all the answers? No. Do you have all the answers? No.

In the end, I am open to that fact that God may choose for some reason to give some a private prayer language. I am not dogmatic on the issue and just trust that God knows what He is doing. raise:
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 06-17-2006, 10:17 AM
mima mima is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 395
Default Could you possibly be wrong?

Here is a suggestion to all those who would know the truth concerning speaking in tongues. Since this is a Christian blog site perhaps it would be wise to approach Almighty God our Father about this matter. For those of you who doubt are even for those of you who are by completely opposed to this prayer language's existence why not ask God to show you whether or not there is any validity to what people are saying, that claim to have a prayer language.
Consider if you will sister Robin having read her story only two things can possibly be true, one she is telling the truth and there is something to having a prayer language. Secondly sister Robin is a boldface liar and/or completely self deluded. Do the nonbelievers reading this post have enough nerve to take a stand?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.


The Fundamental Top 500   The Best Baptist Web Sites at Baptist411.com  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Copyright: Wrestling Clique Wrestling Forum
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
 

Web Hosting for BaptistBoard.com is provided by BaptistHost.net