BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist FELLOWSHIP Forums (Baptist Only) > Baptist History

Baptist History Let's talk about Baptist history

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 09-18-2006, 10:21 PM

I would have thought that at one time. However, during my three and a half years in divinity school, I had to read quite a bit of the writing of the early church fathers, the second and third century patriarchs of the Church, who not only left behind a rich treasure that tells us plenty about the early New Testament church before Constantine, but also helps in the canonization of the New Testament by their frequent quoting of passages from it, not in the "verse by verse" style that we are so accustomed to doing, but in whole sections, in context. Of course, they didn't know the "chapter and verse" arrangement that we have. I sometimes wonder if dividing up the Bible into chapters and verses that do not always align with the complete thoughts or contexts of the writing is a help or a hindrance to interpreting scripture. The early church clearly did not pick singular "thoughts" out of artificial divisions of the Bible called "verses" and formulate doctrines from them.

The early church had a much stronger sense of community than we do today. They depended on each other. They met each other's needs. They lived, for the most part, communally, sharing their resources to an extent where they depended on each other for survival. In most cases, they lived as an isolated minority in a community dominated by practicers of pagan religions, usually relegated to second class status and fearful of betrayal to the local authorities for not practicing the local favorite religion or the state approved emperor worship, which was a major problem for the church from the time of Nero. They had a much stronger sense of being each other's keeper, brothers and sisters in Christ, and the family of God. They did not sit in church in rows of pews with a song leader singing hymns and then a preacher proclaiming the word. Every member had an active role in bringing something to worship, they met in homes, they sang spiritual songs, they held love feasts, they met every day and everyone preached, and some of you aren't going to like this, but even the women did.

As far as doctrine and teaching goes, I think, as Baptists, we are pretty close, but a lot of other Christians are just as close. Correct doctrine doesn't produce righteousness that can save, only Christ has that kind of righteousness and we must put it on through his shed blood in order to be saved. If we've got that, I don't think it matters whether our practice of Christianity resembles that of the first century church. Their practice of faith was relevant to the culture in which they lived and that culture has gone forever. I think it is more important that our practice of the faith be relevant to the culture in which we live, rather than close to what the early church did.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:27 PM
10,000 Posts Club

Don't we Baptist go back to John the Baptizer?
Old 09-19-2006, 04:32 AM
2,000 Posts Club

Default RE: Do Baptists go all the way back to the apostles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBaptist02
Okay, so do we at least believe the same way as the earliest Christians?
Surely that is why baptists hold that baptism is for believers, that church and state are separate, and so on, becuase those things are taught in the bible - in other words, that is what the earliest Christians did and taught.

That said, I think this second question is clearer than the original post. "Baptist" was a nickname given by English-speaking people to those who believed in the baptism of believers, so the "label" did not exist inthose early days.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:53 AM
Administrator

While many of us would like to think so, (if we are not practicing the NT as best as we can we better go about seeing how to do so) to prove the statement with any practicality is well nigh impossible.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:44 PM
8,000 Posts Club

Send a message via Yahoo to pinoybaptist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBaptist02
Hi everyone. I have heard some people say that Baptists go all the way back to the apostles. Is that true?
Easier said than proven.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Banned

If we don't in some fashion then we sure are making a mockery out of being the true Church, IMO.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to thjplgvp

Could not help but laugh at the OP title in the forum, "Do Baptist's go all the way" ...
Old 09-20-2006, 08:54 AM
15,000 Posts Club

The early Baptists were called rebaptizers by the pedobaptists.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Banned

Never baptized a child in my life.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:58 PM
7,000 posts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Bob
If we don't in some fashion then we sure are making a mockery out of being the true Church, IMO.
I am less worried about being the true church than being a faithful church. As the Second London Confession states, "The purest churches under heaven are subject to mixture and error ... "