1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pre-marital "you-know-what"

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Bro. James Reed, Dec 19, 2006.

?
  1. Yes, and I was born between 0 and 1925

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, and I was born between 0 and 1925

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, and I was born between 1926 and 1940

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, and I was born between 1926 and 1940

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Yes, and I was born between 1941 and 1955

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. No, and I was born between 1941 and 1955

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. Yes, and I was born between 1956 and 1970

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  8. No, and I was born between 1956 and 1970

14 vote(s)
    21.2%
  9. Yes, and I was born between 1971 and now

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. No, and I was born between 1971 and now

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Based on the "Even Grandma..." thread in the Current Events forum, I am doing this poll to find out some numbers for those of us on the BB.

This is a private poll, so you will not have to worry about people seeing your name next to any response you may give. Your answer will remain Confidential unless you wish to embellish in this thread.

#1 Bro. James Reed, Dec 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2006
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :tongue3: My answer will really be confidential because there is no poll!

3. Bro. James Reed

Whoops...this is the first poll I've done since the "revampment" of BB land. Please bear with me for a few minutes.

Thanks.:thumbs:

4. Bro. James Reed

All done...there ya go Scarlett.:thumbsup:

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good job......but there ain't no way I'm going first, now! :laugh:

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

lol..........

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

So far we have 4 good Christians.

8. Bro. James Reed

This thread is not so much an "I was a good Christian and you were not" thread as it a refutation of the other thread that stated something like 99% of people have had pre-marital sex. I just don't buy it.

FYI, I don't believe we can hold someone accountable for something they did before coming to the church. We are told that judgment must begin at the house of God, and I don't see how we, as a church, can judge people based on sins committed prior to their being part of that house.

I suppose a follow-up question could be, if you did do it, do you wish you had not?

I am surprised that the younger folks on the board seem to be the most abstinent so far. Maybe that says something about the moral fiber of America's youth today and the teachings of our parents and teachers. Maybe abstinence education really does work.

There has to be middle ground between, "Never discuss it" and "Here are some good pointers". Either view is hazardous, imo.

The "never discuss it" mentality leads to curiosity and perhaps indulgence. The feelings are going to be there, whether we talk about them or not.

The "here are some good pointers" mentality, imo, gives a stamp of approval to the act. Why must we assume that children will indulge in such practices, and therefore must be told how to do certain things?

If all parents and teachers would step up to the plate, watch their children, and not just trust them (children usually can not be trusted, regardless of how perfect you think they are...I know, I used to be one:smilewinkgrin: ), I think we could really turn society around.

Hopefully, if this poll is any judge, young people today are already heeding the message.

Thank you to all participants.

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

James, there are at least a couple of flaws in your thinking.

1. The sample is not statistically valid. The population is too small.
    2. There is no evidence anyone on here had "abstinence only" education.

As for LeBuick's comment about "good Christians", everyone has sinned. This doesn't make anyone a "bad Christian". Reminds me of Don Francisco's song that has the lyrics:

"I don't care where you've been sleeping,
    I don't care who's made your bed,
    I already gave my life to set you free.
    There's no sin you can imagine
    that is stronger than my love,
    and it's all yours if you'll come home again to me."

As for the poll, it is now at 11-6, or almost 2 to 1, those who did versus those who didn't.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

A child will tell on itself. I ain't saying nutting!!!!

I just came on this thread to see who did tell.:)

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Ummmmm. I will state, what has now become, an infamous quote...

"Define you-know-what". :laugh:

12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Actually, I wanted to know that too, but didnt want to risk getting us thrown into a private forum, lol. I know for a fact that teens today (and prob adults too) done define certain things as "that". :saint:

13. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MP - do you wonder about the sample that Guttmacher Institute used for their findings? 95-98%? 98 % of what population? Who are in the sample? Is there bias in the sample? Are these 38,000 (30,000 women) paid to participate in the research or are they randomly selected. What are their ages, backgrounds, cultural influences, education, religious affiliations, etc.

Do you think? Guttmacher is free to come out with this statistic like their findings were beyond scrutiny. The press is free to tout it like the greatest things since sliced bread.

I'm sure 99% of monkeys surveyed at the Bronx Zoo would say they like bananas.

14. I Am Blessed 24

That's for sure! Actually, I was just 'copping out' the same way Bill Clinton did... :smilewinkgrin:

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Sue,

You have a good point just the same. Our youth blind sided me with this discussion about a month or so ago. One said kissing and another said "making out" and there I was with the deer in the headlight stare.

I must admit, it is easy to teach abstinance until one of them ask, "abstain from what?"

16. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

LOL. So it just depends on what your definition of "is"is.

I can ask my 8th graders if yall want, lol. They love talking about it. :saint:

17. I Am Blessed 24

We should get back to the basics with teen-agers. Have them sing the children's song, "Be Careful Little Eyes What You See".

Be careful little feet where you go.
    Be careful little hands what you touch, etc.

Brent will be 13 in a couple of weeks and I have talked a lot to him about the importance of staying pure (in thought as well as deed).

I have impressed on him that the wife God picks for him will be pure and she has a right to expect a pure husband.

I always told my boys as well as my girls that one way NOT to marry the wrong person is to not date. If you don't date, you won't kiss. If you don't kiss, you won't have 'you-know-what', if you don't have 'you-know-what, you won't mistake 'you-know-what' for love. If you don't "fall" in love, you won't get married to the wrong person.

I wish someone would have cared enough to talk to me that way.

I haven't had a teen in the house for 25 years, so I may be in for a bumpy ride...

#17 I Am Blessed 24, Dec 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2006
  18. Pete

Pete New Member

I don't care what anyones definition of "is" is....No, and I was born between 1956 and 1970

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think it depends on how you were raised, with christian values or not, not enough variety, or enough voters here to tell with a true accuracy. Not having premarital "you know what" only makes a person a good christian if they were already a christian, it does not make one a bad christian if they weren't a christian at the time.

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I confess, I preached my first sermon at 5 and was baptized at 8. The preachers in my family go back to my great, great, great (you get the point). I was raised in a good Christian home and believed I was a good Christian myself. But I did not stay pure.

Was I taught right, yes.
    Did I believe right, yes.
    Did I do right, no.

While I was in the military and stationed in GA, I began drinking, tried smoking and yes, had a girlfriend who was not a Christian. I agree with Sue and say if you keep yourself out of those situations you will stand a better chance. I believe Christian education is equiping of the saints but having the right weapon will do you no good if you don't use it in times of temptation.