1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans Chapter Seven

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by R. J., Dec 22, 2006.

1. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Romans Chapter Seven

Romans 7:1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? [SIZE=+0]2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to [her] husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of [her] husband. 3 So then if, while [her] husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. 4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, [even] to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God
    [SIZE=+0].[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]The purpose of this passage is to show the present relationship of the Law to a member of the body of Christ who knows the Law (i.e. saved Jews and saved proselyte Gentiles). Paul uses the typology of a woman to her husband, both dead and alive to illustrate the relationship of the Law to a Christian. It is not teaching directly about marriage, divorce and remarriage. [/SIZE]

Notice that the only "divorce" in the passage is by death and remarriage is allowed in verse 3. Also notice that it is a woman who is married to two husbands at once that is an adultress. Verses 1 - 3 illustrates what takes place spiritually when you are saved. Verse 4 shows you being placed into the body of Christ. Being in Christ, you are part of His death. Being in Christ's death, the Law's penalty of sin is paid for you. And, because you are identified with Christ's resurrection you are not part of a body that "should be married to another".

So, before you were saved, your soul was married to your flesh. When you received Christ as your Saviour, the Holy Spirit cut your dying flesh away from your living soul. Your flesh is counted as dead with Christ on the cross. Your soul is now a member of Christ's body, of His flesh and of His bones (Ephesians 5:30). Believers are now joined to Christ's sinless flesh and, "he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit (1 Corinthians 6:17).

In summary of this passage, if Christ had come into a sinner without killing the body of flesh, the sinner would have lived in an adulterous relationship. The Lord severed that relationship permanently leaving the soul free to "marry" another (i.e. death, remarriage).

Romans 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. 6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not [in] the oldness of the letter.

Here are the positional standings of a person:
    1. in the flesh (i.e. lost) or in the Spirit (saved)
    2. in Adam (i.e. lost) or in Christ (saved)
    3. of the world (i.e. lost) or in the church (saved)
    When you were "in the flesh" but had NO knowledge of sin, the "motions of sins" were in you. However, those "motions of sins" were NOT imputed to you because "sin is not imputed where there is no law" (Romans 5:13).

At some point, you read or heard that there was a standard (i.e. the Law). That is when you perceived the "motions of sins" in you. The Law did not cause the "motions of sins" but helped you recognize that sin was in motion in your body.

In verse 6, "being delivered from the Law" does not mean we can sin with impunity. We are delivered from the PENALTY of the Law.

Your service to God in Christ is "in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter." You do not serve God to avoid His wrath since your obedience comes from the "new man" that is within you.

We are to nurture the "new man" and deprive the "old".

--- Continued on next post ---
    [/SIZE]

2. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Romans Chapter Seven (Continued)

Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? [Is] the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. 8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin [was] dead. 9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. 10 And the commandment, which [was ordained] to life, I found [to be] unto death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew [me]. 12 Wherefore the law [is] holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. 13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Note in verse 7, that sin is not in the Law nor does the Law cause sin. The Law REVEALS sin. Look back at Romans 3:20 and observe that "By the law is the knowledge of sin." Without the Law, whether in scripture or in conscience, there is no knowledge of sin and it is not imputed (Romans 4:15; 5:13).

The Law is a "schoolmaster to bring us unto Chirst, that we might be justified by faith" (Galatians 3:24).

Note in verse 8 and 11, that "sin, taking occasion by the commandment." took advantage of the situation and did the following:
    1. "wrought in me all manner" of sins that fulfilled extensive, evil lusts (i.e. concupiscence).
    2. "deceived me, and by it slew me."
    Let's examine how sin deceives you. It deceives you by leading you to believe that:
    1. you can sin without impunity,
    2. your actions won't hurt anyone else,
    3. you won't give account,
    4. God doesn't know about it, pay attention to it, remember it and will overlook it,
    5. it can satisfy,
    6. you can stop it whenever you want.
    You were born with a SINFUL NATURE but you were innocent because God did not impute sin to you. The knowledge of the Law "awakened" that sinful nature just as Paul stated in verse 9 (i.e. "I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived").

With that sin revived came the condemnation of the Law: death. That is how sin "slew me".

Let's move on in the passage to verse 12 and 14. Note that the problem is not the Law. "The law is spiritual" (verse 14). "The law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good" (verse 12). It is not the Law's fault that we sin.

When God told Adam and Eve not to eat of the Tree of Knowledge, He didn't give them that command in order to KILL them. Contrary to John Calvin, God had not preordained man to sin. And, as the verses 12 and 14 indicate, God doesn't say "Thou shalt not covet" in order to make us lust.

Once sin has been imputed with its penalty, the purpose of the Law changes. Note in verse 10 that the Law "was ordained to life". Now the Law is given "that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful."

As the cartoon character, Pogo, once said "We have met the enemy and he is US". As verse 14 states "I am carnal, sold under sin."

3. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Romans 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. 16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that [it is] good. 17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not. 19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. 20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

This passage is about the two natures in a believers. Paul uses himself as an example of one who struggles against sin. Note the present tense used throughout the passage. We will see in verse 25 the conclusion "So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin." Paul makes this distinction between the spirit that "is willing" and the flesh that "is weak" (Matthew 26:41).

This passage describes the state of every believer between his personal salvation and the rapture.

In verse 17, you can see that the Holy Spirit has circumcised (i.e. cut) the soul and spirit away from the flesh (Colossians 2:11-13). Now, listen up folks, as here is where one of those MYSTERIES of the body of Christ shows up. As we will see in Romans 8, the Holy Spirit lives in your "new man" but there is also a mystery connected with this. The Lord Jesus Christ also lives in you.

Here is the mystery:

Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what [is] the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

Verse 17 is confirmed by the following verses:

1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1 John 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Now let's see what else lives in the "new man". The apostle Peter tells us:

1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Notice in 1 John 3:9 that anyone born of God (i.e. born again) has a seed that remains in him. 1 Peter 1:23 confirms and defines this incorruptible seed as the word of God which lives and abides (i.e. remains) in you for ever.

In verse 18, Paul has to clarify his "in me" phrase to mean "in my flesh". Since Christ is "in me", Paul wants you to know that it is "in your flesh dwelleth no good thing".

Finally, verses 18 and 19 show that good intentions don't always result in good actions. There is nothing in your flesh to empower you to do good. It takes more than just your will to do it.

4. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Romans 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. 22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

We have been discussing the two natures within a believer. This passage speaks of the two laws that the two natures follow.

In verse 21, Paul speaks of a law of evil present in believers. It could be called the law of the sinful nature.

The other law, in verse 23, is "the law of my mind". This is God's law that the mind wants to keep.

There are two aspects to the law of the sinful nature:
    1. "another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and
    2. bringing me into captivity to the law of sin."
    So, there is a war going on within a believer with the "new man" and God's law battling the "old man" and the law of the sinful nature. However, as we will see in Romans 8, there is another law which is "the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:2). The "new man" needs an ally to conquer the "old man". That ally is the Holy Spirit of God and the words of God.

Romans 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

As you can see in verse 24, you are "chained to a corpse". You are free "inside" but, geographically, you are still near enough to it for it to "ruin your day".

We are spiritually in Christ and reside spiritually with Him in heaven.

We are physically located down here on earth. However, Christ is spiritually here with US.

So, Paul laments that he is a "wretched man . . . in the body of this death". However, we can thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord that we will be DELIVERED from that "body of this death".

Until that time "with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin".

--- End of Romans Chapter Seven ---

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think there are those besides me who would apprecitate it if you keep your font sizes down.

Almost everybody on this board are preachers, and much as we love being preached to ourselves, the board is for discussion, not preaching, so please state your position, not someone elses's, and if somebody wants to discuss it with you, he will.

6. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Hi Pinoybaptist,

I am a bible teacher, NOT a preacher. I posted my Romans BIBLE STUDY in a forum with "Bible Studies" in its title.

As you can see, the passages are given in font 2. The commentary is given in font 3 to distinguish it from the passages. In my opinion, changing fonts facilitates the readability of the bible studies.

In Christ,

Jim