BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Christian DEBATE Forums (All Christians) > Other Christian Denominations

Other Christian Denominations Debate other denominations' doctrines/beliefs here.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 03-30-2007, 05:32 AM
1,000 Posts Club

Default Do you know Dr. Charles Stanley?

http://ww2.intouch.org/site/c.dhKHIX....BE55/Home.htm

Is he good?

Old 03-30-2007, 06:34 AM
2,000 Posts Club

I like him. I attended his church several times back in the 80s when I was going to school in Atlanta. I like him a lot. He is divorced which has been an issue.

If I remember this right when his divorce became final he submitted his resignation to First Baptist but they voted to keep him as senior pastor. As long as he does not remarry I don't see how anyone could have a problem with it.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:59 AM
5,000 Posts Club

Yes, Charles Stanley is a good preacher.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:51 AM
9,000 Posts Club

Quote:
NCT: If I remember this right when his divorce became final he submitted his resignation
HP: It has been awile, but as I recall he stated he 'would' step down if his divorce became final, and he did not. I for one do not feel he has any right in his present state to lead the flock of God. If that is the best the congregation can do for a moral leader, they are in sad shape.

As for the doctrines he teaches, I believe him to be in great Calvinistic error. We shall all soon see.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:11 AM
2,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdisciplex
He teaches the errors of "Easy Believism" and "OSAS", a successful formula for attaining large congregations.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:29 AM
9,000 Posts Club

Quote:
DT: He teaches the errors of "Easy Believism" and "OSAS", a successful formula for attaining large congregations.

HP: Now here is a discriminating listener. I can think of no other teachings more inclined within the Church to error and deception than those you mentioned. I believe that millions are deceived by such teachings. Again, it will not be long and we shall all indeed have the opportunity to see the effects of such teaching, if one has not already witnessed it in their spirit.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:44 AM
8,000 Posts Club

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubting Thomas
He teaches the errors of "Easy Believism" and "OSAS", a successful formula for attaining large congregations.
What would not be the "errors", here? Maybe "Hard Believism" and "MSNS" (Maybe saved; Never sure!)?? Of course we would never say such, would we, but the implication is there. The 200 some verses in the NT do not really mean that one is saved by believe/faith, but require some (undefined, of course) works standard to be met as well. And one can never be assured that his or her eternal salvation is assured or even attained, either. That is not the kind of faith the Bible teaches, as I read it.

xdisciplex, I would not agree with everything anyone else proclaims, without searching the Scriptures, as did the Bereans. But on these two points, at least, Dr. Stanley is Biblically right on target.

Ed
Old 03-30-2007, 09:51 AM
8,000 Posts Club

I'll also add that the divorce of Dr. Charles and Mrs. Anna Stanley was and is another matter, entirely. Because his own father did not step aside, after stating he would, if his divorce occurred, Andy Stanley resigned from First Baptist as the Associate Pastor, and 'Senior Pastor' of a 'satellite church' of several thousand members, and started another congregation, over the very issue of integrity.

But let's not confuse and confute the two issues.

Ed

Last edited by EdSutton; 03-30-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:52 AM

Amen Brother EdSutton -- Preach it!

- Ed Edwards,
Saved for 55 years now*
and looking for the pretribulation rapture

*actually the first week in April
Old 03-30-2007, 10:02 AM
5,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly Pilgrim
HP: It has been awile, but as I recall he stated he 'would' step down if his divorce became final, and he did not. I for one do not feel he has any right in his present state to lead the flock of God. If that is the best the congregation can do for a moral leader, they are in sad shape.

As for the doctrines he teaches, I believe him to be in great Calvinistic error. We shall all soon see.
==If you think Charles Stanley is a Calvinist then you have a very, very poor understanding of Calvinism (to say the least). Charles Stanley is far from a Calvinist.

As for his divorce that does not disqualify him from leadership in the church. He has not remarried, he has remained single, so he can stay in leadership. As for why he did not step down after saying he would, his church asked him to stay. I would have done the same thing. Our pastor recently had heart trouble and said that he would be willing to step down if we believed he could no longer fulfill his duties. It was a 100% vote for him to stay.

As for Andy Stanley, well, he preaches for his father at First Baptist Atlanta at times and he preaches on the In Touch cruises. In Touch also sells Andy Stanley's books. I am sure the divorce was tough on Andy Stanley and his sister. However he still loves both of his parents and, like most of us who are the children of divorced parents, he moves on with his life and his relationship with them.

I think all of this gossip about Stanley's divorce is shameful.