1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

You can still listen to Imus in LA

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Salty, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Even though what he said was deplorable, to be fired over it was ridiculous.

3. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

To be fired from a show because what you said is costing the company money in advertising and viewers, is good buisness.

That is capitalism at work.

If you owned a house painting buisness and one of your panters went to a coustomers home and called the coustomer a (what imus said), you would fire him. Not so much for expressing his opinion but for costing you buisness.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You know how it is costing them money? They reported that due to the firing, they will lose millions, not due to some sponsors who left, but because they fired him.
    Apples and oranges...

5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Why do you continue to defend a racist?

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont think he is defending a racist. I think he is defending
    FREE SPEECH !

The men who had hated [the book], and had not particularly loved Helvétius, flocked round him now. Voltaire forgave him all injuries, intentional or unintentional. 'What a fuss about an omelette!' he had exclaimed when he heard of the burning. How abominably unjust to persecute a man for such an airy trifle as that! 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,' was his attitude now. S. G. Tallentyre, referring to Voltaire. Often attributed to Voltaire.
    pseudonym of Evelyn Beatrice Hall

#6 Salty, Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  7. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

C'mon he is defending a man who has been obscene from day one. Christians whine and cry all the time about how the media is biased and derogatory against them, and pretty much blast anyone who claims it is a free speech matter. How ironic that in this case we are defending the free speech of such obscene and offensive material. :laugh:

8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

What I would find ironic if it wasn't so clearly hypocritical is the defense of Natalie whatsherface from the Dixie Chicks who said something just as vile and was defended by the libs as free speech. But want to hold Imus to a different standard. I don't like Imus and frankly I will not lose much sleep over his firing but the lack of consistency is troubling. Even Joe Biden got a pass for his racist remarks. this does not refer to anyone on this board as I have no knowledge of any remarks made.

#8 2 Timothy2:1-4, Apr 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2007
  9. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Ummm since when is it vile to disagree with the actions of a political leader?

Natalie Maines: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas."

Don Imus: "Girls from Rutgers man they got tattoos and... hard core hos...they's some nappy headed hos there... I'm gonna tell you that now... Man that's some whew... and uh the girls from Tennessee they all look cute you know so kind a like a you know Spike Lee thing....."

Anyone else see a big difference?

#9 Filmproducer, Apr 14, 2007
  10. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I'll just refer you to this thread http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=37203&highlight=Biden

Biden hardly got a pass. He is always in the news as well for his "gaffes".

#10 Filmproducer, Apr 14, 2007
  11. 2 Timothy2:1-4

What Natalie said was just as vile because of where she was when she said it and during a war. Giving aid an comfort to the enemy has far bigger consequences than what imus said.

12. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Yea I did not see him removed from office which would be equivilent to Imus's situation. He most certainly got a pass.

13. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

They were in London. Last time I checked England is our political ally. It is a far stretch to claim that criticizing a political leader is giving aid and comfort to an enemy. Do you really think it is a big secret that there are people in America that do not agree with the actions of the president? Let me ask you this, was it vile to publically criticize Clinton when he was in office? How about when he was asserting that a US led Nato mission in Bosnia was essential, there was a heap of disagreement then, were the naysayers giving aid and comfort to the enemy then?

Sorry, Imus was lewd and crude and obscene and it is high time he was fired. Racist, obscene, vulgar, and offensive speech should not be tolerated in a civilized enlightened society. They certainly should not be defended by a Christian, imo. It is no wonder why the racial divide in this country is not getting much better.

14. 2 Timothy2:1-4

And yet the criticisms of the left are consitantly repeated back to us from the enemy in their little speeches.

Who is defending him? The racial divide is a result of racism on the part of minorities who want black beauty pagents and hispanic tv etc.

15. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

It's a little different and you know it. First of all it does not matter what the majority of Americans think about Biden, only his constituents, and their only recourse is to not vote him into office again or forcing him to resign. Secondly, in order to remove him from office there needs to be a 2/3 majority in the Senate. Do you really see that happening in the world of partisan politics? Didn't think so.....

#15 Filmproducer, Apr 14, 2007
  16. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Wow, don't have much to say to that, other than I feel sorry that you are so bitter. It is not racist to come together as a community, something that is possible for a small segment of the population. Black beauty pageants are not racist, nor are black student unions, or BET.

Racism and discrimination, by every racial group, are what is fueling the racial divide in this country. Defense of people who use derogatory racial terms, and not just Imus, is what is fueling the racial divide in this country. Denying that racism still happens in this country, by all manners of different races, is what is fueling the racial divide in this country.

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Dont assign bitterness to me you dont know that. And the above metnioned is racist and discriminatory the same as if white folks did it.

18. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Sorry, you may not be bitter.....

And it is not discrimnatory. The black population is roughly 12-17% of the US population. By default most things are majority white. There is nothing wrong with other racial minorities then making something that is more geared to their smaller community. It certainly is not racist. Take BET for example there are white people on all the time, and I am not talking about the paid advertising either. Same with "black" magazines. Why some white people find this threatening is beyond me. All I can say is get over it.... (again a general comment not necessarily directed at you)

19. 2 Timothy2:1-4

It is a double standard and reacist as well as discriminatory.

20. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Well then lets just agree to disagree. If you were talking about the New Black Panthers then I would agree, but a black beauty pageant or something similar... please. Not even in the same league.