1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr. Lee Roberson Is Headed Home!

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by John of Japan, Apr 27, 2007.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yesterday I received a TTU alumni e-mail saying that Dr. Lee Roberson's kidneys were failing. Here is a further update my sister just forwarded me, a prayer update from Camp BIMI.

"Pray for Dr. Lee Roberson, long time pastor of Highland Park Baptist Church and founder of Tennessee Temple University, tremendous man of God who has lived a life above reproach all these years. He had a serious fall and broke his femur a short time ago. His kidneys are now failing. Although he is of sound mind and coherent, doctors are saying he only has about six days at the most before he goes to be with His dear Lord. Pray for him and for his family. What an example, men! Clear and simple message of salvation and Godly living and always an invitation to trust Christ as Saviour. Our loss will be Heaven's gain."

"Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour" (1 Tim. 5:17). "Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour" (Rom. 13:7).

I am privileged to have sat under his ministry at TTU from 1972 to 1976, and to have known him personally--something that many TTU grads can say, since he was so gracious to the little guy. Soon this great man of God will hear the words, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Will certainly be in prayer for all concerned in this matter and have passed this on to my cell [small group prayer/Bible study] leader who does have some TTU friends.

While I don't live that far from Chattanooga, I've really only have had the privilege of hearing Dr. Roberson in person a couple times.

Humanly speaking, it's hard for me to fathom all of the good influence for Christ that Dr. Lee has been on untold numbers of people throughout the world during his 90+ years.

I can only imagine what his homecoming will be like!

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

John,

Tears came to my eyes as I read this. Dr. Roberson has meant so much to so many of us. I will forever treasure the times I spent with him, the most recent at my son's graduation from TTU almost exactly a year ago. He was a principled, yet kind and gracious man. Your grandpa and Dr. Roberson will have a great time of fellowship soon, I imagine.

May a double portion of his spirit fall upon those of us left behind.

Mex

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Dr Roberson is one of my few spiritual heroes. I treasure the memories of church, chapel, and seeing him on campus.

I remember him coming down from his office in the old Happy Corner building. He was bouncing a golf ball and lost control and nearly hit my pregnant wife :) . Amazingly he knew us by name!

I love this man of God and he is one of the last of His kind. He is a true Christian gentleman.

Enjoy your homecoming celebration Dr Roberson!

#4 NaasPreacher (C4K), Apr 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2007
  5. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Dr. Lee Roberson is a truly wonderful godly man. I had many privileges or opporunity to see, meet, and hear him in person many times. Since the first time I met him at International Baptist Church in Long Island, NY in 1993. I really enjoyed listened his sermon. Even, when I was a student at BIMI Deaf Bible College(now Harvest Deaf Bible College) in Ringgold, Ga. Dr. Roberson came to preaching there several times. He alwasy donation money to that college.

I saw his fruit and spiritual, he was a truly wonderful godly man. He have a big vision for souls. I did visit T.T.U. many times. I can see his works were wonderful. God is truly blessing his works. I am sure that he is going to be graduated in the heaven with his wonderful works and his faithful. We all will miss him.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, brother.

Grandad and Dr. Roberson were good friends. I remember once when Granddad started preaching in TTU chapel once against storehouse tithing and Dr. Roberson stopped him and said, "Dr. Rice, we follow that here." Dr. Rice shifted gears in mid-sermon, and all was okay with both of them!

May God continue use Dr. Roberson's influence in our lives.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love your little story, Roger. How did he know so many of our names?

When I was a student in 1973 and injured my knee in sports, I had to have surgery. He visited me in the hospital--how did he know I was even there, out of thousands of students? Then when I got out and was on crutches, he saw me coming once and greeted me by name and opened the door for me.

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

So sorry to hear this, but Dr. Lee has run a good race and fought a good fight.

9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

That has a lot to say about both men. I've loved them both for years.

Dr. Lee is truly a Christian gentleman, he will be missed here but we shall see him again!

10. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

There is an old Campmeeting in Central Manor PA. Years ago my dad told the story of John Rice preaching there. My dad who was on the board was there when some of the board members asked Dr. Rice to preach against smoking because there were some people smoking on the grounds. Dad said in the first message Dr. Rice told the people what he was asked to do and then said something like this. The same people that asked me to preach against smoking grow tobacco. So lets get to the root of the problem, and he took off. After the message the board met and the majority voted to pay him and send him home. My dad was not one of them and remained a friend of John Rice until his death.

11. Ex-Fundy

Ex-Fundy New Member

Sorry to hear about that. First Tom Malone, Now Dr. Lee.

It's new era.

Hopefully the Lord will raise someone up like him.

-Me

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great story! No one ever accused John R. Rice of being a coward!

13. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My senior year (1981) I went to aski Dr. Roberson's advice about where to go for ministry. I had 2 churches that I was talking to. After about 5 minutes, Dr. Roberson stopped me, pulled a piece of paper out, drew a huge question mark. He asked if that was the way I felt. I said yes. He said don't go anywhere or do anything until God changes the question mark into an exclamation point.

I've always remembered that and used it both in counseling young people and in determining next steps for myself.

He is a great and gracious man of God in a time where we have so few.

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Tom,

That's a great story. I see you matriculated a year before I did. Went to your church web site and looked at your picture but it didn't ring any bells. Course, I spent most of my time hanging out in the deaf department.

How blessed we were to sit under the leadership of Dr. Roberson! I am grateful that my oldest graduated from TTU last year and that we were able to get our picture taken with Dr. Roberson and chat with him for about 5 minutes after the graduation service. His mind was so clear and he spoke of his love for the Mexican people. I also remember back when our kids were around 9 and 3 years of age we passed through Chattanooga and stopped to see Dr. Roberson. He talked with us for about 5 minutes, took his wallet out and gave each of the boys $5, and had a time of prayer with us. Our kids have never forgotten that.

May God bless you, as Dr. Roberson always said.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, Tom, great story. Such wisdom God gave Dr. Roberson! :thumbs:

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Great story Tom! You graduated the year after I did - I wonder if we knew each other ;)?

17. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just checked my email and they said, Dr. Roberson had died. Services on May 3rd.

I'm trying to figure out how to get there for the service.

18. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

This dear saint of God graduated with another great saint early this morning. Miss Viola Walden of the Sword of the Lord went to be with the Lord this morning.

When Miss V did not show up for church they knew something was wrong. They found her at her bedside. At this point they think she may have had a heart attack.

Please pray for all of us at the Sword. Devotions will be very hard for us in the morning knowing that Miss V is not with us any longer. I will surely miss her!

19. Ex-Fundy

Ex-Fundy New Member

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's be sure to pray for the family. Here is the e-mail from Dr. Roberson's son to alumni announcing Dr. Roberson's Home-going:

04-29-2007

This morning, April 29th, at 4:45 am, my dad, Dr. Lee Roberson went home to be with his Lord and Savior.

The funeral will be held at Highland Park Baptist Church at 1:00 pm, Thursday May 3rd with visitation to be at Chattanooga Funeral Home. Times to be announced.

Dad wanted this to be a time of celebration and not sorrow. He also
    requested that in lieu of flowers that memorial gifts be made to the Lee
    Roberson Foundation, 2327 Red Tail Lane, Chattanooga, TN 37421 or online at www.LeeRoberson.org.

My family and I thank you for all of your prayers.

John C. Roberson