BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > General Baptist Discussions

General Baptist Discussions Baptist topics that don't fit in the forums below

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 08-29-2005, 10:43 PM
Banned

Once again God has had his way in the whirlwind, wreaking mass destruction on the shores of Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.

While I have heard our President, the governer of Louisiana, and others calling for prayer that God would deliver the people who are in the path of this storm, I have yet to hear any in the media or the government acknowledge that this storm is the very work of God.

The word of God tells us that God has His way in the whirlwind. One can only make of that that every building blown apart or submerged, every fallen tree, every ruined neighborhood and, yes, every lost life is the direct work of God Almighty.

When will we ever quit attributing the work of our God to a ficticious "Mother nature"? How can we in one breath pray for God to deliver us and in the next deny that He had any part in the destruction in the first place?

The wonder, to me, is not that God does these things, but that He hasn't been more severe in His judgments on us. These things are only a foretaste of the havoc He will wreak on this earth before the great and dreadful day of Christ's return.

Mark Osgatharp
Lakeview Missionary Baptist Church
Wynne, Arkansas
Old 08-29-2005, 10:57 PM

So a Godly man's house sits next to a wicked man's house and God destroys both to punish the wicked man? The property belonging to a wicked man in Biloxi is totally wiped out, while the property of an equally wicked man in Baton Rouge is only partially damaged, while the property of a more wicked man in south Arkansas is not touched at all. That's pretty whacked out.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to Joseph_Botwinick
Quote:
Originally posted by guitarpreacher:
So a Godly man's house sits next to a wicked man's house and God destroys both to punish the wicked man? The property belonging to a wicked man in Biloxi is totally wiped out, while the property of an equally wicked man in Baton Rouge is only partially damaged, while the property of a more wicked man in south Arkansas is not touched at all. That's pretty whacked out.
Quote:
He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
Matthew 5:45

Yep. Pretty whacked out. How dare God excercise his sovereign choice.

Joseph Botwinick
Old 08-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by guitarpreacher:
Guitarpreacher,

So you don't believe God controls the weather? Do you not believe God has His way in the whirlwind?

Do you believe this was just some big atmospheric accident?

Mark Osgatharp
Old 08-29-2005, 11:13 PM
1,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph_Botwinick:
He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. Matthew 5:45

Joseph Botwinick
I believe that was guitarpreacher's point. God doesn't make only good things happen to good people and only bad things happen to bad people. There's no reason to conclude that a hurricane is a judgement from God rather than God just allowing a weather pattern to continue that he established before people even lived in the southern US.

Quote:
The race is not to the swift
or the battle to the strong,
nor does food come to the wise
or wealth to the brilliant
or favor to the learned;
but time and chance happen to them all.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Banned

God is in complete control of every aspect of life.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to Joseph_Botwinick
Quote:
Originally posted by Petrel:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Joseph_Botwinick:
He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. Matthew 5:45

Joseph Botwinick
I believe that was guitarpreacher's point. God doesn't make only good things happen to good people and only bad things happen to bad people. There's no reason to conclude that a hurricane is a judgement from God rather than God just allowing a weather pattern to continue that he established before people even lived in the southern US.

Quote:
The race is not to the swift
or the battle to the strong,
nor does food come to the wise
or wealth to the brilliant
or favor to the learned;
but time and chance happen to them all.
</font>[/QUOTE]Good Point.

Joseph Botwinick [img]graemlins/thumbs.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2005, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph_Botwinick:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by guitarpreacher:
Quote:
He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
Matthew 5:45

Joseph Botwinick
</font>[/QUOTE]So let me get this straight - You believe that when Jesus said in Matthew 5 that God's blessings on the righteous would also benefit the unrighteous, that also means that the righteous will also have to share in God's judgments on the unrighteous? Sounds to me like that's what you're saying, and if so, yeah bro, that's whacked.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Osgatharp:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by guitarpreacher:
Guitarpreacher,

So you don't believe God controls the weather? Do you not believe God has His way in the whirlwind?

Do you believe this was just some big atmospheric accident?

Mark Osgatharp
</font>[/QUOTE]Let me answer your question with a question. If I say I believe totally in the soveriegnty of God and that I believe he is in control, does that mean I have to say I believe that God formed Huricane Katrina and slammed it into the gulf coast destroying the lives and property of saints as well as sinners?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Banned

I would not presume to judge all of the reasons as to why every man receives what he receives. Sometimes the righteous suffer to try and purify them (as with Job) while sometimes the wicked are blessed with pleasant things that they might learn the goodness of God.

My point is that whatever happens in nature happens, not because of any chance circumstance, but because God made it happen. As Nahum said,

"The Lord has his way in the whirlwind."

I beleive that. I do not believe God is a cosmic clock maker who wound this earth up and let is spin. I believe He is intimately invovled in every minute detail of what we call "nature."

This is the plain Bible teaching. The man who denies it must deny the very words of God Himself.

Mark Osgatharp
Lakeview Missionary Baptist Church
Wynne, Arkansas