1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is your church or pastor on the list?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by standingfirminChrist, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. standingfirminChrist

Received this in email Thursday. The Repentance Blacklist website.

I told Sanderson to add my name to the list. The Word of God tells us "...Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Repentance is necessary according to Peter's declaration on the day of Pentacost.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was just going to post some Scripture where it DOES say "repent" because it's late and I didn't fully read your post - and I thought you were saying that that site is right. LOL!! Sorry about that! Bad premarital counseling tonight and so I can't sleep - it's after 1 AM. I guess I should get to bed, huh?

Well, SFIC - I agree with you - AMEN!

And here's my first verse: "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord." Acts 3:19

3. standingfirminChrist

repentanceblacklist.com says that the phrase “repent of their sins” is “never found in the Bible.”

But, if one diligently searches the Scriptures as the Bereans of Acts 17 did, one would find that the command to repent of one's sins is in the Word of God.

Here, God is looking for those who would repent of their wickedness. He found none.

Here is a clear command to repent and turn from idols and abominations.
    Here, Stephen pleads with those about to stone him to repent of their wickedness.

Paul spoke of those who had not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness.

Repent of fornication.

While there is no direct quote in the Bible stating “repent of their sins,” or "repent of your sins", there are commands to repent of wickedness, uncleanness, fornication, lasciviousness, deeds, murders, sorceries, thefts, and idols.

Now, unless those things are not sins, it is clear God does want man to repent of sin.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

AND I am not going to listen to Jack Hyles or Mr. Sanderson to find out to become a Christian other than repenting from your sins.

This is very confusing . . .

5. standingfirminChrist

Bitsy,

The Hylots use Acts 16:31 to show all one has to do to be saved is believe.

But they fail to realize that the jailor was repentant. If he had not been repentant, he would not have asked, 'Sirs, what must I do to be saved?'.

True conviction of sin brings repentance.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

ahhh,

Well, I always thought it took repentance. That verse about "Repent and be ye baptised" was enough for me.

I just knew I wasn't in the mood for a Sanderson sermon to find out the other side.

7. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Great SFIC! So encouraging to see someone else who believes repentance is necessary!

8. standingfirminChrist

Bitsy,

I do encourage you to look at the website. You will hear no preaching. It just gives a list of many preachers who have been blacklisted by the Hylots for their stance on repentance.

And get this...

They even put three dead preachers on the list! What a joke. They want so much to be right, that they will add preachers of the past to their list. Nevermind that the Word of God backs what these preachers believed concerning repentance.

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Ron, I looked around the site quite a bit before I posted the first time. There are mp3 sermons by Sanderson and Jack Hyles which is why I posted what I did the first time. Never in the mood for them ;)

I've been in agreement with you from the get-go here.

Edited to add that you can also get transcripts from those fellows if you want them. I don't.

#9 mcdirector, Oct 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2007
  10. standingfirminChrist

I figured you were in agreement from your posts, I just thought you might have thought the link I provided was a sermon in itself.

It is sad that many believe that one need not repent though.

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I've never understood how they thought that fell in with works. It seems simple enough to me.

(I'm getting a cold -- it's made me fuzzy headed ;) )

12. standingfirminChrist

13. carrierwave~

carrierwave~ New Member

What does it mean to repent?

I would like to know what is meant by to "repent and turn from your sins"?

Carrierwave~

14. standingfirminChrist

Repentance is a two part action, carrierwave. Many say it means a change of mind toward God. And that is correct. But if one has a change of mind toward God, their mind must have been elsewhere before. They were before men who "loved darkness because their deeds were evil."

Now turning to God means one would have to turn from evil as Job clearly is said to have done in Job 1:1. He "feared God and eschewed (turned his back on) evil."

Does that mean Job never sinned? I am sure it did not. But... Job did not commit sins intentionally. That is, if he knew it to be evil, he turned away from it.

Repentance is turning from sin to God. One has a change of mind about what sin is. The sin one knew prior to Salvation should be repulsive to that one who has professed Christ.

The Psalmist wrote in Psalm 66:18 "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the LORD will not hear me." One must be repentant of sin or one will not be heard by God.

17The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

A broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart is exactly what caused that trembling jailor to ask Paul and Silas, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"

15. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

OK...maybe i spent more time studying evangelism and church growth more than theology in Seminary, but the last time i checked Scripture our faith in Christ should lead us to repentance (turning from sin).
    Or maybe it's the Pepsi Max speaking...:laugh:

16. carrierwave~

carrierwave~ New Member

In some defense of the blacklist site I noticed that they said, that "repent of your sins" is never mentioned in regard to being saved. You seemed to say that they said it was not in the Bible at all. A more careful reading of it shows they meant in regard to salvation. According to your definition of "turn from your sins", I sort of agree with them on this.

Here is the quote from the website:

"The independent fundamental Baptist movement has been totally infiltrated by those promoting the false doctrine that in order to be saved one must "repent of their sins." (This phrase is never found in the Bible.)"

Carrierwave~

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Acts 2:38

18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Acts 3:19

Ron posted that one earlier.

19. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

20. carrierwave~

carrierwave~ New Member

bobbyd-- Yes, I think once the Holy Spirit enters the believer at salvation and one becomes a new creature in Christ Jesus, one begins to depart from sins that have plagued us before we were saved.

Carrierwave~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.