1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what is repentance?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Chessic, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Chessic

Chessic New Member

I hear so many definitions of this word I don't know what to make of it. Since some verses seem to say our salvation is conditional on it, I'd really like to know what it is!

Is it feeling emotions of sorrow for your sin?
    Is it wishing you felt emotions of sorrow for your sin?
    Is it admitting you should feel emotions of sorrow for your sin?
    Is it admitting you were wrong when you sinned?
    Is it wanting to not sin again?
    Is it deciding to not sin again?
    Is it trying to not sin again?
    Is it never sinning ever again?
    Is it not sinning in the same way ever again?
    Is it not sinning for a certain amount of time?
    Is it being willing to not sin if God gives you the power?

If you repent and then sin again a few minutes later, did you really repent?

Any ideas?

2. Joe

Joe New Member

I'll take a shot at it while others are busy in the wine thread :)

No. It is not feeling sorry for your sins, though that is a common emotion. It is not necessary to feel sorry to repent.

Yes, I often wished I felt sorry for committing certain sins but luckily it is not a requirement to be granted the gift of repentance. I am sure others have repented without feeling sorrow.

I don't know if you should feel sorry for committing certain sins, but that is a common teaching. I believe it is useless, either you have the ability to feel sorry or you do not. Dwelling upon it is just amplifying the sin more, making it bigger in the believers life. It is a barrier Satan places in our path to prevent us from Repenting.

Yes, it is admitting you were wrong when you sinned.

Yes it is not wanting to sin again, but the desire to sin may still be present and tugging at you.

Yes it is deciding not to commit certain or all sins, and hopefully, you will not. Or you will sin less, there should be some improvement there yet it could take years (I don't have a verse for that offhand)

Yes, it is trying not to sin again. Such as avoiding certain situations which may tempt you, or avoiding drugs/alcohol which may lower inhibitions causing sin to take over more easily. It is praying for strength and Gods will

You may not commit certain sins, but you will still sin while alive on this earth.

Yes it is not sinning in the same way. After repentance, you are more aware of your sin and the level of sin will be different. You will likely quit sinning sooner and/or not sin as much, the level of sin may be lessened etc.. Generally, you pull out of the sin quicker after repentance.

I don't know. I would hope after true repentance there would be a longer time period before the sins are committed again, or possibly certain sins may never be committed again.

Yes, if God gives you the power or strength to overcome them, then use it. I like to think God can miraculously lessen the temptation. Or take it away completely. But it's no guarantee.

Yes, if you repent and sin a few minutes later, then you have repented. Hopefully, God will lessen the temptation, or take it from you so you will not desire to do it any longer.

Repentance is a gift from God which results in a change of heart and a different outlook regarding sin. It is not a feeling or emotion.

#2 Joe, Oct 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2007
  3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

This posted by Chessic
    Since "sin", is the word you seem focused on, as opposed to the thread title, I'll offer this as a pretty good summation. Rest assured that this is not original, with me, but just as the axe the "son of the prophet" was using in II Ki. 6:5, "it was borrowed".
    Why do you have so many questions about "sin", here? (BTW, Scripture never says our salvation is conditional on sin, or the lack of sin, in any verses I am aware of.)

The words "repent of/from (one's) sin(s)" or any combinations of the above, are not ever to be found in Scripture, at least in the KJV, NKJV, KJ21, RV, or ASV, to my knowledge. "Repent" is found many times, however. It's the "adding to it" bit that concerns me. I'll attempt to post a bit more about this, a little later, but cannot do it for a short time.

Ed

#3 EdSutton, Oct 14, 2007
  4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Repentance is an inward and an outward change.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I agree with this, but will add some to it. Repentance is to turn from sin, but could be to turn from something just bad. Such as, God repented He made man, so He turned from it, and said I will destroy man from the face of the earth.
    For us though, I believe that repentance is to turn from sin, but something causes us to turn, and I do believe that to be, that I became sorry that I was going the way I was, and turned away from it. Others will argue there is no sorrow there, but Essau sought repentance with tears, I kinda believe we go the same route. IMO

BBob,

6. Joe

Joe New Member

Brother Bob

So what about people like Ted Bundy. Does he need to be sorry to repent and turn away from killing people? Tears need to be shed? He is not able to feel those types of feelings from what I gathered watching his interview with Dr. Dobson. He actually asked to be interviewed by Dobson, and granted NO other interviews.
    Why wait until the tears are shed to turn away from sin and have a change of heart towards God?

What about people who were molested or grew up as children having sex regularly with adults? Do they need to feel sorry for having illicit sex as adults or can they just stop fornicating or adultering themselves and turn to God? How do they learn how to cry?

#6 Joe, Oct 14, 2007
  7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

People like Ted Bundy have had their conscious seared with a hot iron. They have no conscious and have been turned over to a hardness of heart and a reprobate mind to believe a lie and be damned.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

BBob,

Why would you say such a thing?

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Because the scripture tells me so.

1Tim.4

[1] Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
    [2] Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

#9 Brother Bob, Oct 14, 2007
  10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What Scripture tells you that the Ted Bundy cannot experience genuine repentance that leads to salvation in Christ?

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

1Tim.4

[1] Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
    [2] Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

Tell the parents of all those little boys, you just led Ted Bundy to Christ, no thank you.

I don't think there is room in Heaven for those little boys and someone who ATE them.

BBob,

12. Joe

Joe New Member

I do not know what happened with Ted Bundy, but my guess is he is in hell. I would be very skeptical of believing anything else, that guy was a sicko yet the Word tells us it is possible for even Ted Bundy to repent and be saved. That was an extreme example, so maybe adultery or thieving would be a better example to work with.

Acts 2: 37-40

7Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.

40And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

There is no crying or feeling mentioned as a requirement of repentance here. It sounds like more of a decision than anything else. There were likely murderers and adulterers, theives etc in the crowd.

Repentance is a gift from God, just like sorrow. I see linking the two but feeling sorry for sins is not a mandatory requirement to repentance. In fact, spreading this falsehood may place unnecessary obstacles in front of people preventing their repentance.

I will admit, this is a pet peeve of mine. That an emotion or feeling for past sin is a requirement to repentance. It's a slap in the face to people who have repented.

#12 Joe, Oct 14, 2007
  13. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Thanks for the responses so far.

I believe I have also seen repentance defined as turning around, changing your path. This could be general enough to include more than just trying to eliminate one's sins and in fact could explain how one could occasionally sin but still be on the right path following God.

I mentioned sin so much because it was included in most of the definitions of sin I've heard, as if repentance is what we are to do about our own sin, after trusting Christ to erase sin's penalty. Repentance, as I often hear it referred to, concerns how we react to our temptation to sin.

Luke 24:47 "...and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem." Does this verse indicated repentance of sins is necessary for forgiveness?

Mark 1:4 "John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins."

2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance." Does this indicat we will perish without repentance? Perish spiritually, as in hell?

#13 Chessic, Oct 14, 2007
  14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

BBob,

Aren't you taking the place of God by letting your emotions get the better of you?

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Look at Saul of Tarsus: He was persecuting the bride of Christ, yet the Lord saved him. If God can save one like Saul of Tarsus, who is Ted Bundy?

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I said there would be some who disagreed with me, as for me I was sorry that I had sinned against God and felt so unworthy and wondered if He would save me.

BBob,

#16 Brother Bob, Oct 14, 2007
  17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thats not nice TC, but you do as you wish. I for one do not believe that Ted Bundy had a conscious.

Salvation is between a man and God, let him go to God. There is no way I can keep anyone out of Heaven, so don't lay that load of "playing God" on me.

#17 Brother Bob, Oct 14, 2007
  18. Joe

Joe New Member

I shouldn't have used Ted Bundy as an example.

Brother Bob, it's nice to hear you felt sorry for your sins but that doesn't mean others are going to. Even if their conscious is "sheered by an iron" they are still able to, in God's eyes, repent in whatever a way they are able to. Please don't tell others they have not repented, especially if they have turned from their sin. That might have been a huge feat for them in itself. Being a Pastor, you may come across this.

#18 Joe, Oct 14, 2007
  19. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Well, he was certainly a monster at one point in his life, but I don't think we know what the Holy Spirit (who alone had the power to reach through his seared conscience) may have convicted him of. I know no one likes to believe jail-house conversions are genuine, but I for one am not going to say it didn't happen for sure. God is able!

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

BBob, Please don't take my comments personally.

Then, let him go to God and quit saying that he has no conscience. Let God deal with him, for only God knows whether his repentance is genuine or not.