1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Researchers: Human evolution speeding up

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by moondg, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

Science fiction writers have suggested a future Earth populated by a blend of all races into a common human form. In real life, the reverse seems to be happening. People are evolving more rapidly than in the distant past, with residents of various continents becoming increasingly different from one another, researchers say.
    "I was raised with the belief that modern humans showed up 40,000 to 50,000 years ago and haven't changed," explained Henry C. Harpending, an anthropologist at the University of Utah. "The opposite seems to be true."
    "Our species is not static," Harpending added in a telephone interview.
    That doesn't mean we should expect major changes in a few generations, though, evolution occurs over thousands of years.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071210...p&printer=1;_ylt=AowTPXZSwMVm5K9Rh1aZegZxieAA

This is unbelievable to me. How educated people could be so stupid.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I believe in evolution as fact, but I also don't know how this guy could think we are static to begin with. I imagine that we ourselves have become the most potent evolutionary force on our own species future, rather than natural selection at this point.

3. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

:eek:

[​IMG]

4. standingfirminChrist

Preacher On The Fence
    From out the millions of the earth
    God often calls a man
    To preach the Word and for the Truth
    Take the royal stand.
    'Tis sad to see him shun the cross,
    Nor stand in its defense;
    Between the fields of right and wrong,
    A preacher on the fence.

Come down, come down
    Come down from of the fence
    And preach the Gospel as it is
    And take the consequence
    Come down, come down
    Come off, come all
    Come down from off the fence
    Your duty's plain you can't remain
    A preacher on the fence.

'Tis surely God that called a man
    To battle for the right;
    'Tis his to ferret out the wrong,
    And turn us to the light.
    But he's a compromiser for
    He's out for pounds or pence
    The shame of heaven but the joy of hell
    A preacher on the fence.

Now some are trying hard to prove
    God never made a man
    He evoluted from the ape
    They'd have me understand
    But I am sure God's Word is true
    It is my sole defense
    And I'll be glad to chase the preacher
    Down from off the fence

Come down, come down
    Out of your family tree
    Let the higher critic Darwinites
    Teach their philosophies
    Come down, come down
    Come off, come all
    And let those baboons be
    They may be apes but they can't make
    A monkey out of me.

Come down, come down
    Come down from of the fence
    And preach the Gospel as it is
    And take the consequence
    Come down, come down
    Come off, come all
    Come down from off the fence
    Your duty's plain you can't remain
    A preacher on the fence.

Author Unknown

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

When you open the bible and start at the beginning, in the very first few verses God introduces Himself to us and gives us the first 2 things we are to believe about Him. 1. He has always been (v.1) and 2. He is the creator.
    And yet we have a hard time beleiveing Him right off the bat.

6. Magnetic Poles

Evoluted? The word should be "evolved". This is a backward formation of a word, much like saying "certificated" rather than "certified", or "administrate" rather than "administer".

Besides, evolutionary science doesn't claim human beings evolved (or evoluted if you will) from apes.

7. standingfirminChrist

Maybe not now, but not to far in the distant pass, they tried to prove so.

But evolution whether from apes, dust, moths or rust is all hogwash regardless.

Evolution was not taught in the Word of God, Why not believe the Word concerning God's creation? Why add to it?

8. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

It doesn't matter how the scientist have changed the theory of evolution over the years.

It's still against God and the scriptures.

9. standingfirminChrist

It is funny that you say

when in 2002 a skull of what was proven later to be a female gorilla was thought at first to be proof of man evolving from ape... and this was scientists that believed this at frirst, if I am not mistaken.

10. Magnetic Poles

Your bolding of the word "theory" indicates you need to understand what a scientific theory is. The theory of gravity is one. In science, a theory is not an unproven hunch or guess. That would be an hypothesis. A theory is supported by a set of facts.

Only if you take a literal view of the creation stories in Genesis. I do not. That doesn't mean that God was out of the picture, but that God is not a liar, and would not lie to us via the evidence he has left for us as to how his creative powers were manifest.

11. standingfirminChrist

One who does not believe in the creation as written in God's Word does not believe the Holy Spirit who inspired Holy men of old to pen the account.

12. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Okay, evolution is a theory not a fact. Maybe I should have said myth?

A myth made up by fools who want to disprove God.

So, you pick and choose? Great...:rolleyes:

13. Magnetic Poles

Harmonizing evidence of evolution with a parable is no harder than harmonizing conflicting verses between the Gospels.

It is not my goal to convert either you or SFIC to change your beliefs, so I am not going to go into a long debate on this. That has been done ad nauseum. You won't change your belief, nor will I mine without compelling evidence that fits the facts. Therefore this can only lead down a bad road. We shall agree to disagree.

14. standingfirminChrist

The Word of God is evidence enough. Creation happened just as the Word of God records. Man's denial of that account is foolishness to say the least.

15. standingfirminChrist

The idiocy of evolution theory:

First I'm a tadpole small and thin
    Then I'm a frog with the tail tucked in
    Next I'm a monkey up in a tree
    And now a professor with a Ph.D.

16. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Evolution and parables in the Bible have no connection whatsoever.
    They have no evidence that evolution happened. Where's the missing link? Why are apes, money, and so on still here? They just couldn't evolve?
    I wonder what else you change in the scriptures if you believe in Evolution?
    If you deny that God created the Earth, what else do you deny? I highly doubt anyone who believes in evolution will enter Heaven.

17. Magnetic Poles

There is tons of evidence. Scientists aren't stupid. You may disagree with the conclusion of evolution, but there is tons of evidence. You need to educate yourself on this if you wish to intelligently debate it.

What is this "THE missing link" of which you speak?? There is no such thing.

Apes are here because they evolved just as you and I did. Money is an invention of human beings as a means of exchange for goods and services and has no bearing on the subject at hand.
    Given favorable conditions, sure they could.
    I change nothing. You merely take a fundmentalist, literalist view of scripture. As I said, I do not.
    The origins of the planet have nothing to do with biological evolution. I never said God didn't create the earth. I DID say his creative power can be manifest in ways consistent with the basic message of scripture and harmonize with modern science.

You may be surprised who you see there then. :thumbs: The Bible doesn't say "whosoever believeth in Him AND in literal 6-day creation, shall be saved."

18. standingfirminChrist

If you don't believe the 6 day creation, you don't believe Him. You believe man who lied and said it could not have happened in six days.

19. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I can't even pronounce some of these terms. I'll stick with the "literal" interpretation of the Bible....from "In the beginning God...." to "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."

20. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

If God could take the Apostle John millenia into the future to show entire thousands of years to him...don't you think he could have given Moses the whole billions of years of creation and that he definately would have written it as that? On the other hand even James Vernon McGee agrees that God can't be debunked by the age of the earth, universe, etc. and though I forgot the reason why to that no one is at McGee's level of spirituallity (save a few of my fav. radio preachers) so no one should argue against him!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.