BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > General Baptist Discussions

General Baptist Discussions Baptist topics that don't fit in the forums below

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 12-20-2007, 03:48 PM
3,000 Posts Club

Default Why don't Baptists observe Lent?

This is a great error because look how many people we could witness to during lent. We could take advantage of the warm, fuzzy feelings of the season and spread the love of Christ to the world. Why do we let the Catholics get the advantage over us? Are we so narrow minded that we can't just esteem those days above others in the name of Christ?
Old 12-20-2007, 03:53 PM
20,000 Posts Club

I love lent. It's the best time of the year to get all of those good all you can eat fish deals at restaurants

"Let us reason together" says the Lord.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:34 PM
3,000 Posts Club

I observed lent in my dryer the other day.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:47 PM
20,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Timothy2:1-4
I observed lent in my dryer the other day.
I observe it in my belly button every day!

"Let us reason together" says the Lord.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:48 PM
1,000 Posts Club

Send a message via AIM to Joseph M. Smith

Don't assume that all Baptists ignore Lent. As a pastor I have observed Ash Wednesday, Lent, Palm/Passion Sunday, and the Easter Triduum for years. And many, if not most, of the Baptist churches I know of in the DC area do so as well.

Like some of you, I grew up in a very Southern Baptist environment, where anything the Catholics did we did NOT do. My father-in-law was criticized when he chose to give our home church a brass cross to place on the Communion table, because "we are becoming too much like the Catholics." But why should we let them monpolize all the worthy traditions?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:54 PM
7,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdog
I love lent. It's the best time of the year to get all of those good all you can eat fish deals at restaurants
I love fish too.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph M. Smith
Don't assume that all Baptists ignore Lent. As a pastor I have observed Ash Wednesday, Lent, Palm/Passion Sunday, and the Easter Triduum for years. And many, if not most, of the Baptist churches I know of in the DC area do so as well.

Like some of you, I grew up in a very Southern Baptist environment, where anything the Catholics did we did NOT do. My father-in-law was criticized when he chose to give our home church a brass cross to place on the Communion table, because "we are becoming too much like the Catholics." But why should we let them monpolize all the worthy traditions?
I agree. The churches I have been in did nothing for Lent or Advent for years. Finally, my current church began celebrating Advent. With the proper introduction and education, the church members came to understand its value as we prepared for the coming of Christmas. Similarly, we have observed Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday with Lord's Supper Service, and Good Friday with a Service of Darkness, as our preparation for Easter Sunday. We had our first observance of Ash Wednesday earlier this year, but I did not think we did enough preparation and education beforehand. Maybe this year we'll do better.

I think, for a long time, Baptists viewed rituals as suspect because of their attachment to Catholics. I think we have gradually discovered that these rituals can be adapted to Baptist services, and that, when properly planned and carried out, they can add a great deal to our worship.

Tim Reynolds
"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." --Stephen Colbert

Surely I am too stupid to be human; I do not have human understanding.
I have not learned wisdom, nor have I knowledge of the holy ones. (Proverbs 30.2-3, NRSV)
Old 12-20-2007, 10:34 PM
3,000 Posts Club

Our baptist church "rediscovered" Lent and Advent the last few years and now have some simple traditions associated with them to prepare ourselves for Christmas and Easter.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:44 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Lent is a period for Catholics to 'deny' themselves and lately it has become a big joke. Some people I know give up watermelon or bubble gum...no sacrifice at all.

It is also a time for fasting and prayer. Most of the Catholics I know are at the Knights of Columbus on a 'liquid' diet during Lent.

Baptists are to 'die daily to self' not just during Lent...
If your life isn’t awesome...
You’ve been watering the weeds!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 12-21-2007, 08:18 AM
2,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.
This is a great error because look how many people we could witness to during lent. We could take advantage of the warm, fuzzy feelings of the season and spread the love of Christ to the world. Why do we let the Catholics get the advantage over us? Are we so narrow minded that we can't just esteem those days above others in the name of Christ?
But why should baptists or any Christians observe Lent? Where are we taught in the bible (by word or by example) to observe a forty-day period of fasting in the weeks leading up to Easter? How are you suggesting that we "observe" it? Do we get a "priest" to burn our "palm crosses" from so-called "Palm Sunday" the previous year, on "Ash Wednesday", and then have him mark our foreheads with the resulting ash? Hopefully not by following the advice for the keeping of Lent given on the site: http://www.catholicculture.org/litur...ew.cfm?id=1016 (The items I've typed in purple are fine and biblical, but why only do them in Lent?)
  • Ideally, the members of the family should participate in daily Mass. If this is not possible, the readings from the Mass should be read and meditated upon daily. This could be done as a family, perhaps at the dinner meal. The Mass is the prayer of the Church, and the highest form of prayer. It also unites us with the whole Church in public prayer.
    A strong emphasis should be made in frequent reception of the sacraments of the Eucharist and Penance. We should learn how to daily examine our consciences.
    Another prayer of the Church is the Divine Office, or Liturgy of the Hours. Praying the Divine Office unites our prayers with the Liturgy of the universal Church.
  • The Stations of the Cross are special during Lent, because they meditate on the Passion of Christ. Usually the Stations are offered at the parish church on Fridays in Lent. They can also be prayed together as a family.
Other Prayer Suggestions:
  • The daily rosary, especially prayed together as a family
  • Visits to the Blessed Sacrament
  • Personal meditation, especially with Scripture
  • Spontaneous short prayers or ejaculations, such as "Jesus, I trust in You."
  • Praying the Angelus at the 12:00 and 6:00 hours
  • Morning and Evening Prayer
  • Prayers Before and After Meals
  • Spiritual Communions
  • Praying the Seven Penitential Psalms (especially appropriate during Lent)
"Warm" and "fuzzy" are not words I would associate with Lent; more like cold and austere.

Why can we not witness to people in those forty days as we do (or should do) during the other 325 days in the year? How do Catholics "get an advantage over us" by celebrating Lent?