BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > General Baptist Discussions

General Baptist Discussions Baptist topics that don't fit in the forums below

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 05:04 PM
6,000 Posts Club

Lightbulb One More Question on Obama

I've come up with another question on Obama. Quite a few of those responding to my earlier OP on Obama defended his claim to being a follower of Christ, and that brought up this question.....

I don't know if he is a believer or not, and it's not for me to judge. What I've seen so far suggests that he is a decent man. I have gleaned this from listening to him during the debates. He loves his wife and appears to a great father to his two daughters. There is NO question in my mind or heart that he really loves America, and wants the very best for this nation.

If elected, he will come under the same negative scrutiny as Bush, and in truth, he will held in check more closely than Bush, by the check-and-balance system of the legislative and judicial branches of government. With all the mistakes made by Bush [mistakes according to Bush hating Democrats and extremely liberal Republicans and Independents] I'm quite sure Congress and the Senate will look more closely at future efforts to defend the country with military force. Obama has a freshness about him, and a charisma like none since JFK. If he keeps up with this growing momentum, he will ride it right to the Whitehouse!

With that said, here is my question: If Obama is truly a believer in Jesus, and has made Him Lord of his life, why does he maintain his ties to the Muslim Faith by retaining his Muslim name. I mean, even Saul changed his name to Paul after his conversion, and others throughout the Old and New Testament were renamed by God after they came face-to-face with Him.

Wouldn't it behoove [be in the best interest of] Obama to make his claim to Christianity more real by changing his Muslim name to something that doesn't identify him with the Muslim faith, especially in this time of mistrust for those of the Muslim faith? Does he keep the name out of pride? And if he does keep it out of pride, isn't this a sin?

I know some of you may chose to "flame" me because of this question, but, it is a legitimate question that deserves an honest answer [not nasty rhetoric].

Again, I am only presenting my concerns, and asking those on the Board to share with me their views [pro or con]. I was helped with some of the information I received on the previous OP, so I am not heartless, nor immovable when it comes to my opinions. I am truly perplexed with this persons actions {deeds}, and I am simply looking for answers so I can be more fair-minded when it comes to talking to others about him. Thanks for your feedback and input.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul
http://www.removethehaze.com
Old 02-01-2008, 05:13 PM

I would say no, he shouldn't have to change his name..
Nothing in the constitution prohibits it.

I wouldn't want to change mine.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:14 PM
2,000 Posts Club

What was his name before he was given his Muslim name? Or, did he even have another name first?
1 John 5:12 - "He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life."
www.newportbaptist.com
podcasts
Old 02-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by righteousdude2

With that said, here is my question: If Obama is truly a believer in Jesus, and has made Him Lord of his life, why does he maintain his ties to the Muslim Faith by retaining his Muslim name. I mean, even Saul changed his name to Paul after his conversion, and others throughout the Old and New Testament were renamed by God after they came face-to-face with Him.
First a question, and then I will answer the way I see it.

What was your name before your found Christ and now what is your current name?

My view of this is he shouldn't have to change his name. There is no need. There is no good reason for him to do so. IN your question, you summed it up well why he shouldn't need to change his name.

In your question, you state that these men were renamed by God. They didn't change their name, God did. There is a difference.

Since it's not a common Christian thing to do the change your name thing, why should we look to Obama and ask him to do it? Whether hs name means something in another country/place/culture has no bearing on what he says he is now. He says he is a Christian, and for me that's enough. The rest is between him and God.

Jamie
Old 02-01-2008, 05:27 PM
3,000 Posts Club

As I stated in the first thread, his name has arabic origins that are not necessarily islamic.

Barack is an african form of Baraka which means "blessing". Hussein means "good looking". Arabic Christians likely have similar names.

There are many European names that have pagan associations. For instance, Brenda is a Norse name meaning "sword" and Eric is a Norse name meaning "eternal ruler". Do we require those folks to change their names if they become Christians?

Last edited by Gold Dragon; 02-01-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:28 PM
6,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Maybe you should ask Ergun Caner the same question.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
I've come up with another question on Obama. Quite a few of those responding to my earlier OP on Obama defended his claim to being a follower of Christ, and that brought up this question.....

I don't know if he is a believer or not, and it's not for me to judge. What I've seen so far suggests that he is a decent man. I have gleaned this from listening to him during the debates. He loves his wife and appears to a great father to his two daughters. There is NO question in my mind or heart that he really loves America, and wants the very best for this nation.

If elected, he will come under the same negative scrutiny as Bush, and in truth, he will held in check more closely than Bush, by the check-and-balance system of the legislative and judicial branches of government. With all the mistakes made by Bush [mistakes according to Bush hating Democrats and extremely liberal Republicans and Independents] I'm quite sure Congress and the Senate will look more closely at future efforts to defend the country with military force. Obama has a freshness about him, and a charisma like none since JFK. If he keeps up with this growing momentum, he will ride it right to the Whitehouse!

Wouldn't it behoove [be in the best interest of] Obama to make his claim to Christianity more real by changing his Muslim name to something that doesn't identify him with the Muslim faith, especially in this time of mistrust for those of the Muslim faith? Does he keep the name out of pride? And if he does keep it out of pride, isn't this a sin?

I know some of you may chose to "flame" me because of this question, but, it is a legitimate question that deserves an honest answer [not nasty rhetoric].

Again, I am only presenting my concerns, and asking those on the Board to share with me their views [pro or con]. I was helped with some of the information I received on the previous OP, so I am not heartless, nor immovable when it comes to my opinions. I am truly perplexed with this persons actions {deeds}, and I am simply looking for answers so I can be more fair-minded when it comes to talking to others about him. Thanks for your feedback and input.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul
http://www.removethehaze.com

Born: Aug. 4, 1961, in Hawaii to Barack Obama Sr. and Ann Dunham.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by preachinjesus
Maybe you should ask Ergun Caner the same question.
I could care less about his name and think if it hurts anyone, it would be him by reminding American citizens that he is from a Muslim country, or at least has ties to one. God renamed Paul and Jacob, I doubt if He will rename Obama.
I still have my concerns about him and if he had of changed his name, it probably would of went worse for him because if he called himself "John Doe" and then we googled his name and found out he once had a muslim name then I suspect he would be in much greater suspicion.

BBob,
Old 02-01-2008, 06:03 PM
6,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Bob
I could care less about his name and think if it hurts anyone, it would be him by reminding American citizens that he is from a Muslim country, or at least has ties to one.
Born: Aug. 4, 1961, in Hawaii to Barack Obama Sr. and Ann Dunham.

Um, just toss this out there. Plenty of us have been on missions trips to Muslim countries, I live in the same apartment complex with two Muslim families, some of us drive by mosques on a daily basis, we have probably bought products manufactured in a Muslim dominated country...so I guess we all have "ties" to a Muslim country. I think your point it moot.

Oh, and there should be something said for the Old Testament people with names that haven't been westernized. How about New Testament people with Middle Eastern names...Apollos, Saphira, etc.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:12 PM
6,000 Posts Club

Default Very Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Bob
I could care less about his name and think if it hurts anyone, it would be him by reminding American citizens that he is from a Muslim country, or at least has ties to one. God renamed Paul and Jacob, I doubt if He will rename Obama.
I still have my concerns about him and if he had of changed his name, it probably would of went worse for him because if he called himself "John Doe" and then we googled his name and found out he once had a muslim name then I suspect he would be in much greater suspicion.

BBob,
Thanks BBob...that is a great point.