BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > General Baptist Discussions

General Baptist Discussions Baptist topics that don't fit in the forums below

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 01-19-2006, 11:01 PM

We know you find deacons in the Bible but where do you find a chairman of deacons? It seems the deacons were under the authority of the apostles.
I just never thought about it before.
There have been alot of pastors that have lost their rightful place as undershepherd for the flock due to a power struggle with a cantankerous, overbearing chairman of deacons.
Our home church doesn't have a chairman of deacons which I'm beginning to think might not be a bad idea.
I know we incorporate other things concerning the church that aren't precisely spelled out in Scripture. But if you think about it why do you really need one? Why can't the deacons simply come to decisions together and go foward with one voice.
Simpy food for thought? What say ye on the BB?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Banned

I was an active deacon for 7 years and I think you need a chairman simply to call the meetings, come up with an agenda and provide some leadership. I might be biased here because we were blessed with an outstanding chairman. What I didn't like was having the pastor attend every Deacon's meeting. Sometimes I think an independent point of view is a good thing.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:55 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Our church has excellent deacons and an excellent chairman and they would never do anything behind the Pastor's back.

All decisions are run by him. He respects them and they respect him.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:18 AM
7,000 Posts Club

Some deacons are 'beacons' and some are 'demons'.

At any rate they are supposed to be servants to the church and pastor, nothing more.
There is a difference between taking on the whole armor of God and encasing your mind and heart in concrete. Be open to the possibility that what you have held as doctrine for so long, may be incorrect. Should you be led to a change of heart and mind, repent.

My faith does not depend upon my having a perfect Bible translation, it depends upon having a perfect Savior to translate ME!
Old 01-20-2006, 08:29 AM
5,000 Posts Club

If the pastors and congregation decide that the duties involved with the position of deacon require a chairman, then it's okay.

Why have a pastor involve himself with integrating the parking and maintenance teams when another deacon could be appointed and given the responsibility?

Rob
"If people put their faith in either a text or in a particular, modern method of reading a text, their faith is misplaced. People should be better educated theologically to realize that the Christian reading of scripture must be learned and practiced as an activity of faith in God, with assurance of the Holy Spirit will not lead us to perdition if we read in faith and with love as our guide and goal."
The Reliability of the New Testament: Bart Ehrman and Daniel Wallace in Dialogue, p.92-93
Old 01-20-2006, 08:58 AM
8,000 Posts Club

Appointed and given the responsibility; but ultimately, the pastor is the one who has to answer for it. Not just to God, but to the people, too.

In my opinion, there would be nothing worse than for someone to ask the pastor, "Why is it this way?" and the pastor respond, "Ask Deacon so-and-so; I have no idea."

Every good leader needs to know what's going on; not necessarily making the decisions, but informed.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:44 AM
1,000 Posts Club

No deacons = No chairman of deacons = No power struggle
Old 01-20-2006, 11:47 AM

StraighandNarrow,

Your post is exactly what I'm talking about. You don't have deacon's meetings without the pastor present unless your goint to fire him. I don't believe deacons "run" the church. They answer to the pastor as well as the congregation. The american ideas concerning deacons are just a little off base at times.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:09 PM
1,000 Posts Club

Shannon, you said "a little off base"...are you sure about that?
If you look at the vast majority of baptist churches and how their deacons are organized and run things...and then compare it to scripture, i think it would be a lot more than a "little off base".
Old 01-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by shannonL:
StraighandNarrow,

Your post is exactly what I'm talking about. You don't have deacon's meetings without the pastor present unless your goint to fire him. I don't believe deacons "run" the church. They answer to the pastor as well as the congregation. The american ideas concerning deacons are just a little off base at times.
I wasn't suggesting that the Deacons run the church. Some people believe in having both a Board od Deacons and a Board of Elders with the deacons acting in a purely serving capacity and the Elders running the church. I've never attended a church that did this and frankly think it's unnecessary.

I've always believes that the congregation runs the church in the sense that every major decision must be approved by the congregation. Our previous pastor was a "CEO" type pastor was wanted to run everything even to the extent of giving "orders" to members of the congregation. (He was an ex-Air Force Chaplain.) However, he had many good traits and on the whole was loved by the church.

I don't think the church should be run like the military. The only general I recognize is Jesus Christ. He's the real head of the church.