BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > General Baptist Discussions

General Baptist Discussions Baptist topics that don't fit in the forums below

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 02-06-2006, 01:15 PM

We've all shared the gospel with people who do not respond...
Discuss why people spurn the free gift of eternal life when the gospel is presented. I'd prefer the discussion to be centered around Scripture rather than just opinions.

I look at Luke 9:57ff and see three people who want to 'follow Jesus' yet Jesus probes their hearts and we do not see saving faith in any of these instances. They all have misguided priorities: the first wanted to be in on what Jesus was doing: the works, His words, the crowds, etc. but earlier in the chapter it says that Jesus was set in heading to Jerusalem (the cross). It was the Lutheran commentator Lenski who said..This man wanted to join the solider on parade without seeing their blood, sweat, and sacrifice required of the same solider.
Jesus concludes by calling all to be willing to take up their cross and follow Him.

Many want Jesus but on their terms or on a cafeteria plan where they can pick and choose what aspect of the gospel they find appealing.

What do you think?
Old 02-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

The god of this world has blinded their eyes
Old 02-06-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by C4K:
The god of this world has blinded their eyes
2 Cor. 4:4 Agreed! I believe the Scriptures say that a supernatural regenreating work of the Holy Spirit is required. God must opend the blind eyes: Luke 10:21-22.

I was hoping to get more thought on men loving their sin more than the Savior; wanting to put the decison of until later to live it up now (i.e. Felix); etc.

thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 02:57 PM

Many people think you are a religious kook. Some have their own religion and are offended by you pushing your religion on them. But most aren't interested in religion period and have no need for it.

The best way to approach someone and save yourself a lot of time and grief is first, get to know the person a little. Warm up to them. Then use the famous "BY THE WAY" PHRASE. You say something like this. "By the way, do you give much thought to spiritual things?" This is a great opening phrase barometer that TESTS the person's attitude to anything spiritual. If they tell you to get out of their face, then walk away. If they tell you, "oh sometimes", then share something SMALL with them BRIEFLY and leave it at that and come back another day.

Seldom will you find someone who is FULLY open to all that you are trying to share, so you must learn patience and feed them SLOWLY. This method works well with Jehovah Witnesses when they are going door to door peddling their Watchtower proproganda and Christians would be wise to use the same method when sharing the gospel with someone. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:06 PM

Also keep in mind that you're coming from a "The Bible is the word of God" persepective, and many don't share that assumption.

Point being, they may not care about your quoting Scripture until you can tell them why they should also think that The Bible is divine.

You have to show how and why The Bible is the Word of God before anyone will care what it says.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:10 PM

Good point James Flagg. Our Catholic friends consider their church THEE AUTHORITY in determining just what the bible says and means as well. So when dealing with Catholics, they will usually say, "But MY CHURCH doesn't believe that."
Old 02-06-2006, 03:12 PM
15,000 Posts Club

Look at some in the church that non-Christians see.

Mt. 7:21-23, "Not everyone who says to Me, `Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. "Many will say to Me on that day, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' "And then I will declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.'

Lokk at the miracle workers and faith healers on TV.

http://www.bible.ca/tongues-popoff-39-17Mhz.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Popoff
Old 02-06-2006, 03:22 PM

This is the gospel and what it does:

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

This is why some (not all) refuse to accept:

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Tom
Old 02-06-2006, 03:48 PM
20,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally posted by John Ellwood Taylor:
We've all shared the gospel with people who do not respond...
One problem is our own faulty logic. We think that if we tell them about Jesus, we've adequately shared the Gospel, and then scratch our heads as to why they haven't accepted it. We're often of the "accept now, do it now, right noe" mentality. We need to change this mentality. Not only does it make sharing the gospel sound like something a used car salesman would do, but it disrespects the person we are sharing the gospel with. I had a dear friend accept Christ... after 10 years!!!! One of the reasons he didn't sooner was because he was always put off by those who beat him over the head on the topic. So much so, that he now says that they served to push him further away from the Lord for a while. That made me think.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:59 PM
10,000 Posts Club

The main reason people don't respond is that they are blinded and in darkness, as pointed out by C4K and Bro. Tom, and because no one wants judgment on their sin!

I rejected the real Christ for years and years (I was saved when I was over 40!) because I thought I was inherently good, I could become better on my own, I did not want judgment, I did not want a personal, righteous God who judges things I did that were wrong, I derived a sense of spirituality and security from false beliefs, I had a New Age God and New Age Jesus that made me happy, etc.

People can find alternatives and if they want to, they will. Unless God opens their eyes, they will continue to reject the idea of any God, or they will find a false one that suits their needs.